Pre Trip Report: An SSR Holiday Trip

DisneyHeather

DIS Veteran
Hello :wave2:

So I'm going to attempt a pre trip report which will hopefully then become a trip report. It will be my first try so we'll see how I do :goodvibes

I've been a DVC member since 2010 at VGC and then bought at AKL last year. This trip was originally only my 2 year old son and I but I kept trying to get my mom to go and so now there are 9 of us in a 2 bedroom at SSR from December 8-19. First stay at SSR which is my mom's home resort and we're all very excited.

Cast of Charaters:
Me (Heather): Oldest daughter and I'm pretty sure also the favorite :rotfl2:
DS (Conner): My wonderful 2 1/2 year old son who will be making his second trip to WDW and has done DLR 3 times. (I'm super excited to see the difference since he's older now)
DM (Karen): My mother who taught me to love all things Disney
DSM (Kari): My mother's wife and my step mom who loves Disney as much as I do
DSS (Jessica): My turning 19 a few days before we leave step sister
DSB (Brandon): My 17 year old step brother
DS (Emily): My 15 year old sister
DB (Parker & Patrick): My twin brothers who will be 10 when we go

So far I've made a few ADR's for some character breakfasts, O'hana's, Hollywood & Vine and 1900 Park Faire. And an ADR at T-Rex. We have tickets to MVMCP on December 10th and Magic band colors have been picked out and most of the FP+ have been made. My moms kept laughing at me calling to ask questions so they decided that I can plan and tell them where to be and when and they will enjoy having their own concierge. Since I'm enjoying the planning that's fine with me. :cool1: And since we're using my points my mom's have been nice enough to offer to pay for Conner and I to eat for the whole trip which I very much appreciate.

The plan is to go to the parks pretty much every day but to try to make it a more relaxed trip than normal. Since having my son and buying DVC I've been trying to not be a park open to park close person and it's helped to make the trips much more enjoyable.

I've requested to be in the Grandstand area of SSR due to it being the first bus stop. I figure with 9 of us and a stroller, and a possible wheelchair being at the first bus stop would be better than at the last so here's to hoping the request comes through.

The reason we might have a wheelchair is my twin brothers have autism and mild cerebral palsy. They do fine walking in a normal situation but we're not sure how Patrick will do with all the walking at WDW. He usually ends up in a stroller at DLR but is getting too big for that now. So our plan is to see how he does an adjust as we need to.

It will be a first trip to WDW for Jessica, Brandon, Parker and Patrick. Emily's been to Animal Kingdom but it will be a first trip for her to all the other parks. The rest of us have been at least once (Kari) and up to 5 times I think for my mom and I.

I've requested to be in the Grandstand area of SSR due to it being the first bus stop. I figure with 9 of us and a stroller, and a possible wheelchair being at the first bus stop would be better than at the last so here's to hoping the request comes through.

I've never stayed at SSR. I went on the DVC tour there though and thought it was pretty. It's on my list of places to stay someday.

Can't wait to hear more!

Ok here's my first attempt at posting pictures. My beautiful baby boy with his pumpkin the other day. And at the pumpkin patch last weekend.

I've never stayed at SSR. I went on the DVC tour there though and thought it was pretty. It's on my list of places to stay someday.

Can't wait to hear more!

Thanks for joining me Tracey :wave2: I'll do my best to keep it interesting. I always love reading other people's reports so hopefully people enjoy mine as well.

So I'm trying to decide if we should get a Tables in Wonderland card or not for our trip. There are 9 of us going, possibly 10 if my other step brother can get the time off work. We have 3 character breakfasts but otherwise will be ordering food from We Go Shop to have in the room and will eat quick serve. TIW can be used at our resort quick serve since we'll be at SSR. Our only other sit downs will be T-Rex and four of us doing a CP dinner which I don't think TIW will work at either.

So what do you think? Will it save us enough money since they're so many of us even though we don't plan on many sit down meals? :confused3

So I'm trying to decide if we should get a Tables in Wonderland card or not for our trip. There are 9 of us going, possibly 10 if my other step brother can get the time off work. We have 3 character breakfasts but otherwise will be ordering food from We Go Shop to have in the room and will eat quick serve. TIW can be used at our resort quick serve since we'll be at SSR. Our only other sit downs will be T-Rex and four of us doing a CP dinner which I don't think TIW will work at either.

So what do you think? Will it save us enough money since they're so many of us even though we don't plan on many sit down meals? :confused3

With 9 people, I think you will at least break-even with TIW for 3 meals, assuming you spend an average of $25 per person, per meal.

Also, you might consider the Paddock area of SSR. The water play area that for little ones is as nice as the one in the grandstand area, but the zero entry pool at the paddock is great for the little ones as well. Plus, the bus stop at the first two paddock buildings (which is technically the carousel stop) is the 2nd stop on the bus route and we have never not gotten a seat at that stop.

With 9 people, I think you will at least break-even with TIW for 3 meals, assuming you spend an average of $25 per person, per meal.

Also, you might consider the Paddock area of SSR. The water play area that for little ones is as nice as the one in the grandstand area, but the zero entry pool at the paddock is great for the little ones as well. Plus, the bus stop at the first two paddock buildings (which is technically the carousel stop) is the 2nd stop on the bus route and we have never not gotten a seat at that stop.

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking we'd pretty much break even as well. Maybe I'll purchase it for my step mom since she's paying for all the food so then technically my food will cost me $100 and it will end up saving her some money at the character breakfasts. :rolleyes1

And I'll talk to my mom about maybe switching to the paddock area for my request.

So our Magic Bands came yesterday!! We're getting so excited. Only 22 more days until we fly to SSR. Now we just need to get a shopping list together to send to We Go Shop and get packing done.:cool1:

We love the paddock area as well. We like the pool and water slide better, and the kids splash area is awesome, even your 10 year old brothers will like it. We also love the cafe at the paddock pool much better than artist's palette. For some reason they just make the grilled vegetable sandwich much better at the paddock pool. I would request building 55 or 56 lake view so you don't hear the pool noise. We were in building 55 in September and loved it. Building 56 would be closer to the carousel bus stop. Can't wait to hear about your trip. You have such a unique group going on the trip with you.

SSR is our home resort and we LOVE it! the resort is very peaceful and quiet and just beautiful! I'm sure you're family will love it! We will be at MVMCP on the 10th also! We also just received our MB and have made a few FP+ ressies with them as well! Have a safe trip. we leave in 17 days!:cool1: TIW will probably work out for you, especially with 9 of you.

SSR is our home resort and we love it. We also always stay at the Grandstand! We are going in January & just ordered our Magic Bands. My son is a CM(Innovations @ Epcot) so the ticket situation is a little sticky, right now they can't be linked so we can't do FP+.

You are going at a wonderful time of year. When my boys were young we always went the day after Thanksgiving & stayed through the first week of December.

Enjoy!

You are going at a wonderful time of year. When my boys were young we always went the day after Thanksgiving & stayed through the first week of December. Enjoy!

Hijack- you this so? This is what we are planning for 2014. Good time of year re: crowds? We typically go at peak or F&W for long weekends, so I guess anything beats that.

We love the paddock area as well. We like the pool and water slide better, and the kids splash area is awesome, even your 10 year old brothers will like it. We also love the cafe at the paddock pool much better than artist's palette. For some reason they just make the grilled vegetable sandwich much better at the paddock pool. I would request building 55 or 56 lake view so you don't hear the pool noise. We were in building 55 in September and loved it. Building 56 would be closer to the carousel bus stop. Can't wait to hear about your trip. You have such a unique group going on the trip with you.

Thanks for joining me. I've read some of your trip reports and have loved them. And yes our family is unique for sure. We are super excited only 19 more days.

SSR is our home resort and we LOVE it! the resort is very peaceful and quiet and just beautiful! I'm sure you're family will love it! We will be at MVMCP on the 10th also! We also just received our MB and have made a few FP+ ressies with them as well! Have a safe trip. we leave in 17 days!:cool1: TIW will probably work out for you, especially with 9 of you.

I hope you guys have a safe trip as well. I think we will end up getting the TIW because we just added another sit down meal at Trails End...I'll have to double check we can use it there.

SSR is our home resort and we love it. We also always stay at the Grandstand! We are going in January & just ordered our Magic Bands. My son is a CM(Innovations @ Epcot) so the ticket situation is a little sticky, right now they can't be linked so we can't do FP+.

You are going at a wonderful time of year. When my boys were young we always went the day after Thanksgiving & stayed through the first week of December.

Enjoy!

I'm glad to hear it's a good time of year. I'm really hoping the weather is nice and the crowds aren't bad, but figure even if it's cold and there are crowds at least we'll be at Disney

I am hoping to go to SSR this fall for the first time! I love the look of it

We love the look of it too. I hope you get to check it out next fall.

Following along! :goodvibes

Thank you :wave2:

Hijack- you this so? This is what we are planning for 2014. Good time of year re: crowds? We typically go at peak or F&W for long weekends, so I guess anything beats that.

I've heard that it's a nice time to be there and I'll be able to let you know in a few weeks

You will love SSR :) We stayed in Congress Park which was lovely and quiet, but we walked over to the Paddock Pool. It was awesome. The pool grill is great for kids and parents alike, the kids water feature was A BLAST with 1 year olds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter