• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pre-trip movie watching?

hkkatie

Mouseketeer
Which movies are on your pre-trip watch list? I’m trying to think of movies that may correlate to rides or shows, that will help us feel “prepared” for our trip. :tongue: I have big kids and little kids, so I’m making two lists. (Probably won’t get through all of them :rolleyes:). In your opinion, which are essential? What am I missing?:-)

Little kids:

The Little Mermaid
Beauty and the Beast
Peter Pan
Dumbo
Toy Story
Monsters Inc.
A Bugs Life
Cars
Finding Nemo
Cinderella
Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
Tangled
Aladdin
Frozen
Sleeping Beauty

Big kids:
Indiana Jones
Pirates of the Caribbean
Guardians of the Galaxy
Star Wars

Last edited:
Well, I wouldn't say that any are "essential" but also it can be fun to watch the movies that tie in to the rides. Also, the kids are never too old for the movies on your "little kids" list! :) I think you've hit the main ones. There are some more obscure ones that might be of interest to you, like Tomorrowland (though it seems to take more from the WDW version, but not in an overt way). You don't have any Winnie the Pooh movies on your list, and there is a ride over in Critter County. Incredibles could be there since they just got the deed to the California Screamin' roller coaster. Pinocchio and Alice in Wonderland also have Fantasyland rides. There is also Tarzan's Treehouse, so Disney's Tarzan could be good.

In list form:

Tomorrowland
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (or any Pooh movies)
Incredibles (1 & 2 - but 2 is still in theaters)
Pinocchio
Alice in Wonderland
Tarzan

When are you going? If you will be there during Pixar Fest I’d suggest adding in more Pixar films. Will you be going to DCA? Then you might want to add more of the movies that are over there like The Incredibles. It sounds like Inside Out is represented in a lot of the food options. Spider-Man and Thor are at DCA too if you wanted the kids to know them if they haven’t seen the movies.

Are you thinking of doing Jedi Training? I think one of the bad guys is from the cartoon.

Do your kids know the classic characters? You might want to add Mickey in there. There’s the Clubhouse or the new racers cartoon. Are you doing any character dining? I’d add in the characters that are usually there. Do your little ones like Disney Jr? Do you need to occupy them while the big kids are doing thrill rides? If so you might want to add some of those shows in. At DCA there is a show for little kids you could do while big kids do the height restricted rides. If you have a princess lover Elena is a new edition character they might not be familiar with. What about Rapunzel? She and Belle alternate a great short play if they don’t know her. Another vote for Pooh because they’re adorable!

Don't forget Haunted Mansion!
220px-Haunted_mansion_ver3.jpg

Thanks for all the replies! Yes, we are also going to DCA. We’ll be there the week of July 22, so yes, Pixar films are a must! I had no idea there was a haunted mansion movie! I’m going to definitely try to watch that!

While UP isn't a huge presence, there is a float for it in the Pixar Play Parade and the music is commonly heard on Main Street. It is, in addition, one of the most charming and poignant Disney/Pixar movies ever made.

Thanks for all the replies! Yes, we are also going to DCA. We’ll be there the week of July 22, so yes, Pixar films are a must! I had no idea there was a haunted mansion movie! I’m going to definitely try to watch that!

Well, it's often left out because it has a poor reputation. It's not really as bad as people make it out to be, but it is a comedy (Eddie Murphy) and I don't think the HM fans were really wanting that.

There is also a made-for-TV film of Tower of Terror with Steve Guttenberg and a very young Kirsten Dunst! They used to sell the DVD in the TOT gift shop.

tarzan is probably the number one movie, has they use a lot of the opening sequences of the movie in the tree.....then it turns into Swiss Family Robinson, which if you are a trivia or pop culture buff, SFR is a must see to to understand why you are climbing this tree.

Alice in Wonderland if you believe that Charles Dodson was a heroin user and the use of the Cheshire cat and her loveliness...the queen of hearts in the attraction....and what is the purpose of the theme of the vehicle....if you have any Vegas CSI fans.

You have to read the book to understand why all the strollers are parked in front of Peter Pan....and I want to think that 2003 movie Pete pan address the strollers at Peter Pan

Wind in the Willows is a good attraction primer.

Dumbo to understand why they hand you black squares as you wait in line.

Snow white attraction is a collage of Walt's concept of how he wanted Disneyland to form out at the end, but there is only so much room for the movie and very little of the movie is in the attraction in a linear fashion.

....and the soundtrack for Casey junior...have to see the movie on that one!!!

and Indy jones....why he always jumping out in front of the jeep....and if you thought Indy hated snakes....just wait till your young folks finished the attraction.

Roger Rabbit....gives a better appreciation for the Gag Factory and while waiting in line to board the taxi there are references to the movie that as adults you might appreciate.

Last edited:
Oh, I totally forgot the Planes movies! We LOVE those movies. We have a little boy who loved Planes more than the Cars movies. Both are excellent, but for some reason I loved Planes: Fire and Rescue.

We just finished watching the first 2 Cars (yes we like them all) and are watching the 3rd. I don't know what else we will watch. I watched Saving Mr Banks again recently. Roger Rabbit is a good idea. We bought it on DVD or Blu-ray not too long ago. It was really cheap. With Incredibles, Finding Dory, and Coco coming out not too long ago, we have watched those.

I always watch Saving Mr Banks before a trip or whenever I’m missing Disney (filmed in Disneyland)!

Is it worth getting the Blu-ray? Are there extras? I thought I remembered hearing that there were cool extras on the Tomrrowland Blu-Ray as well. Thanks!

If you will be watching the Together Forever fireworks, be sure to watch "Coco" and "Up" -- great moments from both those movies during the show ("Up" moment from the castle and "Coco" moment from Main Street). Also, after seeing "Cars," make sure to be on Route 66 in Cars Land at sunset (Google the time for sunset on your chosen day, then be on Route 66 about ten minutes beforehand) to watch the neon lighting to the Sh'boom song. Just like in the movie!

Last edited:
Get "Sing Along Songs - Disneyland Fun" <-- I used to watch this as a kid on VHS before every Disneyland trip. I bought it years later on DVD for my own kids and they love it too. It's fun and cheesy and I still get jealous of the children that got to star in it. Some rides are the same, some are gone, or have changed but the essence of visiting the park is the same as in the video.

Get "Sing Along Songs - Disneyland Fun" <-- I used to watch this as a kid on VHS before every Disneyland trip. I bought it years later on DVD for my own kids and they love it too. It's fun and cheesy and I still get jealous of the children that got to star in it. Some rides are the same, some are gone, or have changed but the essence of visiting the park is the same as in the video.

This one is so fun! You can find it on Youtube if you don't want to wait for the disc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter