Pre-trip Itinerary (before) vs. Actual Itinerary (after). First Disney trip: Oct.-Nov. 2016

kimfirstdisneytrip

Earning My Ears
WHO: Me, husband, our two young daughters ages 3, and 6, my parents, and husband's mom.
WHAT: A Princess-centered, multi-generationally considered, meticulously planned, First trip for me, the kids, and my parents. 6 park days, no hoppers.
WHERE: Art of Animation, 2 family suites in Finding Nemo section, top floor, facing Hour glass Lake
WHEN: October 29th - November 5th, 2016 (over Halloween!)
WHY: Take the girls while they are young and still believe it is real, and while the grandparents can still go too. We won't be going every year, probably every 5-10 years.

Dining Plan = Yes!
Memory Maker = Yes!
Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party = No. Didn't want to spend the extra money for those tickets, and knew the girls wouldn't last during the day and at night too. No regrets there. The girls wore princess costumes during the days, and were able to Trick or Treat at our resort.

I started planning and researching a year in advance, in phases. Found DisBoards so helpful, and want to give back now. I had a very detailed itinerary which I will copy into this post, and then simply listed out what we actually did afterwards.

Planning approach/rationale = With two young children, I kept expectations really low, shooting to cover only our 3 fastpasses each day plus a dining reservation, trying to stay very flexible. They love Disney princesses so it was princess-centric. The adults/grandparents loved the nice meals and some rollercoasters/adult rides, but mostly wanted to be with family. Our kids don't take naps anymore, and with the Parks closing early for MNSSHP, we decided NOT to return to resort mid-day for break. We simply went for the day, and when we were done, we left. I tried to build some free-time, break-time, in the afternoons so we could rest somewhere in the Park or ride rides - and we rode rides. We found that we really needed those table service advance dining reservations as our "break," resting in the air conditioning, filling our bellies, and after we ate we were ready to tour again!! Totally rejuvenated.

We ended up averaging 5 miles per day. We brought our Baby Trend double jogging stroller, it was a necessity, although a pain to bring on the bus. The girls were able to rest in it, take naps if needed. If there are more than 3 fastpasses it was because we either split up or added them as we went. We were able to get so much more done than I ever thought we would! We only used Rider Swap once, at Soarin'. We either walked on to everything or waited no more than 10 minutes, with the exception of Merida on Saturday evening we waited 30 because we didn't realize it would be that long. We flew into Orlando, and went into MK that night, that was our only "let's just do whatever rides we want" day.

We LOVED our trip!! Expectations were exceeded! Disney really is magical. Customer service was AMAZING! The crowds were low. 5 out of 6 Park days we did rope-drop and/or Extra Magic morning hours - which I highly recommend. We were able to see and do so much more early in the morning!!

See next post for pre and post itineraries, thanks.

Last edited:
This is our Pre-trip Itinerary:

Disney World Itinerary - 2016

SATURDAY, 10/29/16

11:06AM Flight arrives into Orlando.

Take Magical Express bus to Art of Animation resort

(check in >3PM).

*** REST/NAP. ***

Dinner at resort.

Go to MAGIC KINGDOM:

This is the only night we can see these iconic shows. Fastpasses not offered, so we will grab a spot for viewing at The Hub (bring cash).

9PM Main Street Electrical Parade.

9:45PM Celebrate the Magic.

10PM Wishes (fireworks).

SUNDAY, 10/30/16

Sleep in.

Breakfast at resort (using Snacks).

Go to HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS (opens at 8AM):

Stroll Hollywood Blvd & Echo Lake areas.

9:20-9:35AM Girls have Disney Junior Fastpass (Jan, Carol, Kim, Elena, Corynne) Show starts at 9:40AM.

9:35-10:35AM Guys have Star Tours Fastpass (John, Brian).

Meet back up. Stroll the Streets of America and visit Honey, I shrunk the Kids playground. More rides can include: (for the guys) maybe Indiana Jones, Stunt show extreme, or the Great Movie ride; or (for all of us) Muppetvision, or grab early lunch (Counter Service).

11-11:15AM Frozen Sing Along FP (all of us) Starts at 11:30AM.

Grab Lunch (Counter Service) if we haven’t already.

12:20-1:20PM Toy Story Midway Mania FP.

Afternoon Free Choice: may want to rest in the Park, or more rides/shows, get more FP, or shop. Possible rides/shows include Beauty and the Beast, Muppetvision, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, the Great Movie Ride.

3:55PM Dinner @ Hollywood Brown Derby

(Fantasmic Meal Package).

5:30-7:30PM Free Choice: see above, and then stroll Sunset Blvd.

7:30PM Fantasmic Show

Then straight back to resort and bed.

MONDAY, 10/31/16

Go to MAGIC KINGDOM (opens at 9AM): Fantasyland and Adventureland day

8:15AM Character Breakfast @ Cinderella’s Royal Table (for 6 of us, but 7 can probably go) we get early entry into park.

9:15-10:15AM Peter Pan’s Flight FP.

10:20-11:20AM Enchanted Tales with Belle FP.

Between or after rides we can also do the Carousel, It’s a Small World or catch Mickey’s Philharmagic show.

12PM Lunch (counter service).

Try to do Mickey’s Philharmagic after lunch if we haven’t already.

1:30-2:30PM Guys do Pirates of Caribbean FP in Adventureland.

2-3PM Girls do Princess Fairytale Hall (Rapunzel) FP.

Afternoon Free Choice: (includes return to resort, shop, get more FP, do more rides/shows). Rides can include Mad Tea Party, (for guys) Splash Mountain or Big Thunder Mtn RR. Stay as long as we want. At some point all of us go to Adventureland (on our way out) and Do Magic Carpets of Aladdin, may also do Country Bear Jamboree if we want.

Do Dinner probably at resort. Park closes at 7PM due to Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party (MNSSHP).

TUESDAY, 11/1/16

Breakfast at resort (snacks).

Go to MAGIC KINGDOM (opens at 9AM): Fantasyland and Tomorrowland day.

9:10-10:10AM Space Mountain FP (adults only).

Do Dumbo, Mad Tea Party, Under the Sea and Ariel’s Grotto, in between or after any fast pass rides.

10:20-11:20AM Seven Dwarfs Mine train FP.

Consider doing an early lunch.

11:20AM-12:20PM Many Adventures of Winnie Pooh FP.

12-1PM Lunch (counter service).

Afternoon Free Choice: Possible return to resort to rest. Other rides can include: Fairytale Garden, going to Tomorrowland for Buzz Lightyear, Monsters, Inc, Tomorrowland Transit.

4PM Dinner @ Be Our Guest

Probably head back to resort after dinner, or finish anything we missed or really want to do. Need to be out of Park by 7PM due to MNSSHP.

WEDNESDAY, 11/2/16

Go to ANIMAL KINGDOM, for Extra Magic Hours (EMH), opens at 8AM, get there before 8AM.

8AM beeline to Kilimanjaro Safari.

Probably do Pangani Forest Trail.

9:30-9:45AM Festival of Lion King FP. Show starts at 10AM.

Walk around, revisit Discovery Island, maybe Rafiki’s Planet Watch or Flights of Wonder.

11:30AM Character Lunch at Tusker House

Walk past or through Asia, maybe do Flights of Wonder or another ride.

1:15PM-2:15PM Expedition Everest FP (adults only).

Probably do Dinoland, includes Boneyard playground, Triceratop Spin. See if we can get into an earlier Finding Nemo show. Other rides can include Kali River Rapids (will get wet), Maharajah Jungle Trek, Adventurers Outpost, The Oasis.

3:30PM-3:45PM Finding Nemo FP. Show starts at 4PM.

Back through Discovery Island/Oasis, head back to resort. Park closes at 5PM.

Dinner at resort (counter service).

THURSDAY, 11/3/16

*** DAY OF REST at resort. ***

In the late afternoon/early evening, go to DISNEY SPRINGS.

Check out Lego Imagination Center, and/or maybe Marketplace shops for souvenirs. Possible dinner at Disney Springs? (a lot of good restaurants, they do accept the dining plan).

6PM Cirque du Soleil’s, La Nouba, show (Kim, Elena, Carol, and John).

Jan, Brian, and Corynne have Free Choice: go back to resort, stroll Marketplace, have dinner, or visit Lego imagination. After show, all of us back to resort.

FRIDAY, 11/4/16

Go to EPCOT (opens 9 AM):

9:25-10:25AM Spaceship Earth FP.

Check out The Seas with Nemo and Friends, and try to do Turtle Talk with Crush.

11AM-12PM Character Spot Innoventions FP.

Walk to Norway Pavilion.

12:10PM Character Lunch at Akershus.

1:25-2:25PM Frozen Ever After FP.

Royal Summerhus meet Ana & Elsa.

Afternoon Free Choice: can return to resort anytime, see if we can get fastpass for Soarin’ (esp for John or Jan), or perhaps stroll around World Showcase Lagoon and visit other country Pavilions. Park closes at 10PM.

SATURDAY, 11/5/16

Hang out at resort. Use up any leftover dining plan credits by getting snacks for travel home.

Probably around 12PM ish, take Magical Express bus to airport.

3:38PM Flight departs Orlando.

This is our Actual Itinerary written out afterwards:

Saturday 10/29/16

Fairytale Garden:Merida / Dumbo

Dinner at Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Cafe

Mad Tea Party

Mickey’s PhilharMagic

Celebrate the Magic

Wishes Fireworks

Sunday 10/30

Star Wars Launch Bay, Sand person

Disney Junior – Live on Stage! and Star Tours: The Adventures Continue (FP)

Muppetvision 3D

Goofy M&G

A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration (FP)

Lunch at ABC Commissary

Toy Story Midway Mania! (FP)

Beauty and the Beast – Live on Stage (FP)

Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular (FP)

Dinner at The Hollywood Brown Derby

Voyage of the Little Mermaid (FP)

Fantasmic

Monday 10/31

Breakfast at Cinderella’s Royal Table: Cinderella, Snow White, Aurora, Ariel, Jasmine

Prince Charming Regal Carrousel

Princess Fairytale Hall: Rapunzel and Tiana

Peter Pan’s Flight (FP)

“it’s a small world”

Dumbo the Flying Elephant and playground

Under the Sea – Journey of the Little Mermaid

Enchanted Tales with Belle (FP)

Swiss Family Treehouse

The Magic Carpets of Aladdin

Pirates of the Caribbean (FP)

Resort:

Pluto M&G

Trick or Treating

Tuesday 11/1

Magic Kingdom Welcome Show

Meet Mickey Mouse at Town Square Theater

Space Mountain (FP)

Princess Elena Royal Welcome

Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (FP)

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (FP)

Walt Disney World Railroad

Snack at Aloha Isle: Dole Whip

Liberty Belle Riverboat

The Hall of Presidents

Festival of Fantasy Parade

Dinner at Be our Guest

Beast M&G

Wednesday 11/2

Kilimanjaro Safaris

Pangani Forest Exploration Trail

Flik M&G

Tarzan M&G

Festival of the Lion King (FP)

Tree of Life

Tusker House Restaurant: Mickey, Goofy, Donald, Daisy

Flights of Wonder

Expedition Everest (FP) and The Boneyard

Thursday, 11/3

Walk around Resort and Pop Century

Disney Springs:

Lego Imagination Center

World of Disney store

The Boathouse for dinner

Cirque du Soleil: La Nouba

Friday, 11/4

Rope drop - Soarin’ Around the World

Spaceship Earth (FP)

The Seas with Nemo & Friends

Turtle Talk with Crush

Epcot Character Spot: Goofy, Mickey, and Minnie (FP)

Club Cool

Norway Pavilion, Akershus Royal Banquet Hall for lunch: Belle, Aurora, Ariel, Cinderella, Snow White

Frozen Ever After (FP)

Meet Anna and Elsa at Royal Sommerhus

Mexico Pavilion,

Gran Fiesta Tour Starring the Three Cabelleros

Mission: SPACE (FP)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter