• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pre-check and kids question, any experts out there?

snoopy5386

DIS Veteran
We are flying home today and I have precheck. My 9 year old is on a separate reservation (southwest, some tickets booked with cash, others with points) and her boarding pass does not say TSA precheck on it.

Can I still take her through the precheck line with me since she is under 13?

Yes, you can take your 9 yo with you through the precheck line with you even though her boarding pass does not say precheck. I suggest bringing as much baggage as you both can carry comfortably with you as well, regardless of who in your party it belongs to.

TSA precheck (the TSA screening process in general) doesn't distinguish between how tickets are purchased/ paid for.

As long as a child is 12 years of age or under - or APPEARS to be under 13 - they are allowed through PreCheck with a PreCheck approved adult.

Full disclosure, I work for TSA

Last edited:

Yep. Right up until they turn 13. That's why we got NEXUS just as my son turned 13.

https://www.tsa.gov/precheck/faq
"...family members ages 12 and under traveling with an eligible parent or guardian with a TSA Pre✓® indicator on their boarding pass can participate in expedited screening."

As long as a child is under 12 years of age - or APPEARS to be under 12 - they are allowed through PreCheck with a PreCheck approved adult.

Full disclosure, I work for TSA
Similar problem with semantics that folks run into at Disney with minimum age to ride
I'm sure you mean 12 and under even though under 12 is technically different
People often say it both ways without realizing each one is actually two different meanings for the top age

My granddaughter turned 13 and we signed her up for her KTN. But before that she always went through with the grandparents or parents, but was questioned every time. Even when she said she was 11 or 12 the agent acted like we were lying. My daughter offered to let them see my granddaughter’s passport. She’s a tall girl at 5’9” like her mom.

I anticipate quizzing when we fly with DGD next month.
She's just turned 11 in March but already 5'2" or so. Maybe taller by then, the rate she's growing.
But, she's 11 and as such, has no need for PreCheck yet.
We'll sign her up at 13 of course.
None of the other options are valid for us as we have no access to those programs here. It's PreCheck or nothing.

My granddaughter turned 13 and we signed her up for her KTN. But before that she always went through with the grandparents or parents, but was questioned every time. Even when she said she was 11 or 12 the agent acted like we were lying. My daughter offered to let them see my granddaughter’s passport. She’s a tall girl at 5’9” like her mom.

I always expected that sort of questioning with my son, but all he has ever had to do was tell his age and they said OK. He's very tall and his voice started changing when he was somewhere between 11 and 12. He's also very used to speaking with adults and is somewhat poised, so he comes across as more mature.

Weird, how different it is.

And now it's similar with the security checkpoint and then initially wanting ID as they look up at his near 6' 14 year old self. "I'm 14" has been sufficient, though.

(all domestic flights, of course)

I always expected that sort of questioning with my son, but all he has ever had to do was tell his age and they said OK. He's very tall and his voice started changing when he was somewhere between 11 and 12. He's also very used to speaking with adults and is somewhat poised, so he comes across as more mature.

Weird, how different it is.

And now it's similar with the security checkpoint and then initially wanting ID as they look up at his near 6' 14 year old self. "I'm 14" has been sufficient, though.

(all domestic flights, of course)

Sounds very familiar with my granddaughter. She’s 14 now and so mature. She flys several trips a year. She’s a little shy when people think she’s older. One day everyone will catch up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter