Prayers & Pixie Dust needed

JoannaOhio

17-Year Cancer Survivor!!!
We've been in Florida for the past two weeks, and spent three very nice days at Walt Disney World during our first week here. Today (Sunday, January 1st) we intended to check out of our rented villa at noon. Unfortunately, at about 11:00, my DD's fiancee (who is disabled, in a wheelchair, with muscular dystrophy) fell to the bathroom floor during a transfer, landing very hard on his knees. He was in such pain - and it appeared that it would be impossible for DD, DGD and myself to get him up off the floor - we called 911. They were very quick to respond with two paramedics and then an ambulance with two attendants. It took all four of them to lift him from the floor to the stretcher.

He is spending the night in the hospital, with my DD by his side. They took x-rays, and we do know that he fractured one leg above the knee, and one leg below the knee - but it seems that the fall didn't shatter his knee caps (thank God for small blessings). Luckily, the next tenants for our rented villa aren't due to arrive till Friday, so we could make arrangements to stay a little longer. We won't know the extent of his injuries, or how they will be dealt with, until the orthopedist sees him. We hope this will happen in the morning.

DD, DF & DGD came down on the auto train from DC, and intended to return that way. Now we don't know if he'll be able to travel on the train - or what any other alternatives might be. What a horrible way to end our vacation - and to start off the new year. All prayers and positive thoughts will be greatly appreciated by our whole family (me, the Grandma - DD and her fiancee - and my 14-year-old granddaughter).

Joanna

It's late, even on the west coast, but sending much Pixie Dust your way. :wizard: Hopefully you can stay at your current lodgings as long as necessary.

Does the Auto Train have a wheelchair accessible bedroom accommodation? I know that the West Coast Superliners have a room like this in each sleeping car.

Hope the rest of your vacation was magical. :earsboy:

Pixie Dust for you and your family. Hope everything goes well.

Oh, what very bad news.
Sending prayers and pixie dust to you all.

I talked to my DD a little while ago. Unfortunately, she and her fiancee are not at all happy with the service he is receiving at this hospital, so they've decided to go with getting his legs in casts (rather than surgery to insert pins, etc.) so they can take the auto train back to VA, and find a good hospital and good orthopedist in Richmond where decisions can be made about the best long-term repair. Fortunately, the train (for which they already have tickets) is actually the best option for moving him from FL to VA.

I've been trying to find elevated foot rests to fit the electric wheelchair that he already owns, but most of the retail businesses are closed today because of the New Year holiday. He wants to have his legs cast in the outstretched position, because he doesn't want to lose the limited contracture that he has (from muscular dystrophy). It looks as if he will need to spend at least a couple of weeks in some sort of nursing home or assisted living facility - until they feel secure in my DD being able to use a hoyer style lift to transfer him between bed and wheelchair, etc. - (or are able to arrange for in-home assistance).

One of his biggest concerns at the moment is that he was supposed to start a new job in Richmond next Monday, the 9th. He's in upper-level management in banking, so we have our fingers crossed that they want him badly enough to keep the job open for the extra time it might take before he can start.

This is a hard time for all of us, but I know we'll get through it - and - it could have been even worse. We don't have a home set up in Richmond yet, but we do have an empty apartment already rented. And - my other DD moved to Richmond about 5 months ago - so she is available to help out there - and to drive back and forth from Richmond to southern Maryland (about 2 hours) to help me get older DD's home sold, and pack everything to move.

Bless you all for your caring thoughts.

Joanna

We are praying for your daughter's fiance & the whole situation. I hope things are going better. I've been taking care of a friend with muscular dystrophy for 14 yrs. & he broke his leg falling out of his wheelchair after our 1st Disney cruise 3 yrs. ago. It was difficult driving home but he pulled through. Unfortunately he has been hospitalized for 2 months with respiratory failure right now. Keep us posted as to how your daughter's fiance is doing. God bless, Cathie :grouphug:

I hope he gets home safely. Prayers & pixie dust from a person with muscular dystrophy.

Christamae

cathie said:
We are praying for your daughter's fiance & the whole situation. I hope things are going better. I've been taking care of a friend with muscular dystrophy for 14 yrs. & he broke his leg falling out of his wheelchair after our 1st Disney cruise 3 yrs. ago. It was difficult driving home but he pulled through. Unfortunately he has been hospitalized for 2 months with respiratory failure right now. Keep us posted as to how your daughter's fiance is doing. God bless, Cathie :grouphug:
Thank you so much! Things are definitely looking a little brighter. We got some of the basics set up in the apartment over the weekend - (bed, patient lift, etc.) - so DD & her DF were finally able to move out of the extended-stay hotel they've been in for the past two weeks. They have things running on a pretty good schedule with nurse/aides coming in to help for two hours in the morning and evening. The real test will come when he starts his new job on Tuesday. (It's with a bank, so Monday is a holiday for him.) So far, all the people at his new office have been really helpful and understanding. DD will chauffeur him to work and back, and will go there at lunchtime to help him with a bathroom break and lunch. We hope to get her house here in Maryland listed and under contract within the next 60 days - so my granddaughter and I can join them in Richmond.

Again - thanks for remembering us in your prayers - and I'll do the same for you and your friend. :grouphug: Joanna

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter