PPH

kailuagirl

DIS Veteran
How bad is the walk now? We have never stayed here, usually GCH, once at DLH, but those aren't available. I've read so many mixed reviews on this Disney property. I just can't wrap my head around if it is worth the extra money. Help?!?! PPH thoughts please Thanks!

If you've walked to the gates from the DLH, the walk from PPH is comparable, just add a few minutes more, maybe 5 minutes at most. You will exit at the rear of the building, follow the path toward the DLH, go along that path toward DTD, then go through security by EOS. The lines at that check point are usually short. It isn't a shorter walk than it would be if you stayed across Harbor at one of the hotels at the crosswalk. You'll have EMH at PPH, but you'll save lots of money by staying off site and possibly have a shorter walk to the gates.

I was looking at prices for rooms in November and saw a notation on the website that the monorail will be under refurbishment. Has anyone heard anything about that? I have been back and forth on continuing to stay at PPH given the extra walk, but always felt like the monorail gave us an extra option when the walking got to be too much. Take that away as well and I would not be a happy camper.

3 min longer than cutting through the Grand or the average person.

I make up that 3 min by hitting the DTD West Starbucks rather then waiting in the often longer line at the main Starbucks.

I was looking at prices for rooms in November and saw a notation on the website that the monorail will be under refurbishment. Has anyone heard anything about that? I have been back and forth on continuing to stay at PPH given the extra walk, but always felt like the monorail gave us an extra option when the walking got to be too much. Take that away as well and I would not be a happy camper.

The announcement is on the DLR hotel site right now because the Monorail is closed through June 16th. It's supposed to reopen June 17th. But it's hard to say what will be happening with any given attraction next November. There is a rumor the Monorail will go down at some point to be rerouted for the new Harbor Blvd overcross project, but since the project hadn't even been approved yet, there's no timeline.

The announcement is on the DLR hotel site right now because the Monorail is closed through June 16th. It's supposed to reopen June 17th. But it's hard to say what will be happening with any given attraction next November. There is a rumor the Monorail will go down at some point to be rerouted for the new Harbor Blvd overcross project, but since the project hadn't even been approved yet, there's no timeline.

Thanks! I was hoping that might be the case.

Also, you would still be able to cut through GCH on you way back from the parks. The longer walk around to the DLH would only be required in the morning or when you are heading back into the parks. I usually don't mind a longer walk in the morning when I'm fresh and more energetic. The shorter walk BACK means more to me when my feet are aching!

I'm debating staying at PPH this coming fall. I usually stay at the Grand and have stayed once at DLH so I'd kinda like to be able to say I've stayed at all three. Before they stopped allowing the CGH 'shortcut' headed in, I thought 'one of these days I'll do that', but now not so much. It's the walk. I'm mobility 'challenged' and I really 'felt' the extra distance to the DLH and we stayed in Fantasy Tower!

We've actually priced Uber from PPH to the Harbor Bl entrance. LOL

You could do as we did and stay at the PPH one night before transferring to the GCH for the rest of the week! They move your luggage for you but you have to take it to bell services before you leave the room. It's super easy if you do it the first night and just don't unpack.

Also, you would still be able to cut through GCH on you way back from the parks. The longer walk around to the DLH would only be required in the morning or when you are heading back into the parks. I usually don't mind a longer walk in the morning when I'm fresh and more energetic. The shorter walk BACK means more to me when my feet are aching!

If I am going to be at Disneyland until 11.00pm (and and DCA is closed) what is the quickest way for me to get back to PPH.

If I am going to be at Disneyland until 11.00pm (and and DCA is closed) what is the quickest way for me to get back to PPH.
If you are in Tomorrowland, you could take the monorail to DTD (if it's running). The monorail station is by the DLH, but instead of going into the DLH you would take a left after the security area and walk over to PPH. If you prefer to exit DL via Main Street, then you would walk through DTD until you get to Sephora, turn left and take the hallway into GCH, through the great hall and out to the street where you can cross over to PPH. It sounds confusing, but it's pretty straightforward.

If you are in Tomorrowland, you could take the monorail to DTD (if it's running). The monorail station is by the DLH, but instead of going into the DLH you would take a left after the security area and walk over to PPH. If you prefer to exit DL via Main Street, then you would walk through DTD until you get to Sephora, turn left and take the hallway into GCH, through the great hall and out to the street where you can cross over to PPH. It sounds confusing, but it's pretty straightforward.

Yes, it is only our 2nd time (1st time was 1999) and we have not stayed onsite before, so it is a little confusing. Thank you for making it clearer.

One question - what is Sephora?

Last edited:
Just came back - the walk to security is ok ...BUT... having to walk the entire length of Downtown Disney was exhausting on top of the parks - was walking a minimum of 20km a day
My feet are wrecked!
Next time - might stay offsite in a hotel that gives a shuttle to the entrance

We've actually priced Uber from PPH to the Harbor Bl entrance.
Considered this too.... how much was it?

As completely irritated as I am at Disney for making this ridiculous decision, I do have to interject...

The route you *have to* go now to get to the parks is the EXACT same walk PPH has clearly marked out for guests since...well, since our first visit there in 2007. Their signs to get to the parks do NOT take you out the front door and to cross the street. Their signs have, for 10 years at least, directed you out the side (or back? never clear on that), over to DLH, and alllll the way through DTD.

A while back I used mapmyrun to work out mileage. I went from a hotel to to the center of the esplanade in between DL and DCA. (I rarely used the entrance to DCA because unless you're starting your day at Grizzly or beyond it's not that awesome and the lines have always been bad)

Our room at the Grand was .38. That was the one time I went from our room because our room was about the second furthest away room you could get, because it was almost at the end of the wing but you couldn't use the secret exit to get to DTD (wrong wing). The backtracking was so obnoxious to me. Outside the hotel building of HoJo to the same spot was .46. DLH at the sorcerer's hat to the esplanade center was .43. PPH going through the Grand to the esplanade was .47. PPH following the signs was .63. So YES this is a difference, but given how much a person walks in a day at Disney...it's a relative drop in the bucket.

For us PPH is great enough that it's worth staying there (though IMO *none* of the Disneyland resorts are *worth* what they are charging now) if the cost is good to you. It's pretty, the staff have always been kind, the rooms are big and bright and airy and fun. It also helps that almost every time my family has stayed there we've been upgraded to a suite LOL. Seriously lucky in that respect.

But a .18 mile difference... IMO not worth worrying about.

And I think you can still exit the Grand (to get back to PPH) by going through the DTD entrance to the Grand. So if you've been in Disneyland and want to go home, you walk to DTD. You would just go through security into the Grand then exit the Grand once you get to the lobby. And that security is on the way to the "proper" path back to PPH, so if by chance they won't let you enter, you haven't lost anything. Just continue on through DTD.

...And I think you can still exit the Grand (to get back to PPH) by going through the DTD entrance to the Grand. So if you've been in Disneyland and want to go home, you walk to DTD. You would just go through security into the Grand then exit the Grand once you get to the lobby. And that security is on the way to the "proper" path back to PPH, so if by chance they won't let you enter, you haven't lost anything. Just continue on through DTD.

Added plus: there is no actual security (i.e. metal detectors and bag check) to enter the GCH from DTD at that entry by Sephora, so you could just walk right into the hotel and exit by the front entrance. (Security by Sephora is only to exit the GCH and enter DTD.) Then cross Disneyland Dr. to get to the PPH. We've done this several times without encountering any probems.

Just came back - the walk to security is ok ...BUT... having to walk the entire length of Downtown Disney was exhausting on top of the parks - was walking a minimum of 20km a day
My feet are wrecked!
Next time - might stay offsite in a hotel that gives a shuttle to the entrance

Considered this too.... how much was it?

UberX quote was $5-7 without surge pricing (which we've never encountered). I think the minimum Uber charges is like $5.15. We didn't think that was so bad and our thoughts were Uber in the morning, walk back at night through the Grand as it wouldn't be all that much further to PPH than to some of the furthest rooms at the Grand. The 'bugger' would be if you wanted to take a mid-day break, now you're talking $10.30/day for two one ways, even more if you 'round trip' it.

The monorail can help, but in the morning it's pretty 'iffy' as to whether or not it'll be running AND you can waste almost all of your EMH waiting for it. And at night the last run is usually 15-30 minutes before the park closes and we like to 'shut the parks down' as the last 30 mins can find some pretty short ride wait times and some uncrowded shops (as long as you aren't on Main St). And if you don't plan it so you're in TL at that point, the walk from wherever you are in the parks to the MR station can be longer than the walk to the exits.

Last edited:
It is less than 3 mins further to go thru the security by the DLH. While the Uber idea is creative, it will take you longer, and you will be on your feet longer as security on Harbor side is usually longer. Know you will still walk .1993 mi from where uber drops you on Harbor side to the security tents.

It is less than 3 mins further to go thru the security by the DLH. While the Uber idea is creative, it will take you longer, and you will be on your feet longer as security on Harbor side is usually longer. Know you will still walk .1993 mi from where uber drops you on Harbor side to the security tents.

It's not so much the time as the physical steps. I'd say the Uber 'drive time' wouldn't be all that much longer than walking because I'm a pretty slow walker. You're right in that bag check may take longer, but sometimes you just have to deal with that sort of thing if it saves you some mileage on the old feet!

Taxi drop area to mid Esplanade is about the same as from Sephora to mid Esplanade (about .20-ish miles). The walk from DLH (Fantasy Tower) to mid Esplanade is double that distance (.48 miles). PPH to mid Esplanade is about .70-ish. I got these distances using a pedometer mapping site. .20 miles is a lot shorter than .70 miles.

UberX quote was $5-7 without surge pricing (which we've never encountered). I think the minimum Uber charges is like $5.15. We didn't think that was so bad and our thoughts were Uber in the morning, walk back at night through the Grand as it wouldn't be all that much further to PPH than to some of the furthest rooms at the Grand. The 'bugger' would be if you wanted to take a mid-day break, now you're talking $10.30/day for two one ways, even more if you 'round trip' it.

Wouldn't you use the GCH entrance in the afternoon. I thought that was only for GCH guests until 10.00am

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter