PP vs. GC

ahale08

Earning My Ears
Hello!

We will be visiting Disneyland in May, a Tuesday - Friday. We will have 4 adults and 3 kids. Our question is should we book two standard rooms at GC OR a two room suite at PP. The price is the same. Thanks for your opinions!

I love the GCH and the location is great, but I would do the 2 room suite at PPH. We stayed in one last Nov and it was great! And this option gives you the family room common area, so people can spread out a little more. Using the cut through by going through the GCH makes the walk not much longer.

I'd say the 2 room suite at PPH as well, especially if it is on one of the upper floors facing DCA - You can't beat that view, it is beautiful!

We did had a suite at the VGC, and it was really nice having the whole family atmosphere. It was also really nice being so close to DCA. So we had the best of both worlds. It's hard for me to really weigh in, but I would probably go with the suite at PP.

...We will have 4 adults and 3 kids. Our question is should we book two standard rooms at GC OR a two room suite at PP...
I am a big fan of GCH, and it is my onsite choice :goodvibes
I also assume you mean 2-bedroom suite at PPH, which is actually 2 bedrooms and a living room.

A 2-bedroom suite at PPH would be a better choice, for several reasons:
  • Connecting rooms at GCH are quite common, but can only be requested (not guaranteed).
  • A 2-bedroom suite at PPH will have 3 full baths (you might want to contact the hotel to confirm this is correct)

I'm also not normally a big PPH fan, but in your situation I'd go for the PPH suite as well. The views are great if you can get one.

I think the suite at the PPH too. Having said that, we love the GCH. The location and atmosphere cannot be beat but the space in a suite sounds very attractive.

Have you considered renting DVC points and staying in a 2 bedroom villa at GCH? It has 3 bathrooms and a living/kitchen area.

Have you considered renting DVC points and staying in a 2 bedroom villa at GCH? It has 3 bathrooms and a living/kitchen area.
That is a very good suggestion. 2-bedroom villas are the easiest to rent, due to the number of points required and the number of villas.
I just checked, and only May 11-13 2017 are not available. The 7-month window open to all DVC members is May 15 (moving forward each day), so the early part of the month will likely book up soon.
The OP can quickly do a cost estimate on David's DVC Rental.
May 2-5 (3 nights) is $2184, compared to 2 standard GCH rooms at $2237

Does the two room suite come with concierge level service. Because if so, I think that makes it an easy call. I would still choose PP anyway though because it is actually my favorite hotel on property. Its not fancy but its comfortable and low key, which is what I need after a day battling crowds.

Does the two room suite come with concierge level service...
Suites do not include concierge, but can be added. Roughly $150/night at PPH and $250/night at GCH, which can be a reasonable "value" for larger suites.
Concierge cannot be added to VGC.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! We did look into rending DVC points for the GC 2 room suite which would have bene the same price as the PP 2 room suite so totally worth it HOWEVER we ended up renting 2 separate studios through DVC. We got a great price on each one and decided even though it is less room as its essentially just two hotel rooms we liked the idea of each family having a separate space and giving the kids a break from each other. So excited to stay at GCH for a little less then we would have paid for a regular PP room through Costco.

I was going to be the dissenting opinion and say go for GCH. I have not stayed in a suite at PPH but you just can't beat the proximity and overall feeling of the Grand. It is a wonderful atmosphere and super convenient location. The rooms are starting to get a little shabby and hopefully a remodel is on the schedule soon but you still can't beat the experience. Since you're there for several days be sure to take advantage of the activity schedule, things like the drawing workshop, stories by the fireplace, movies in the courtyard. You'll get a schedule at check in. The pool is great too!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! We did look into rending DVC points for the GC 2 room suite which would have bene the same price as the PP 2 room suite so totally worth it HOWEVER we ended up renting 2 separate studios through DVC. We got a great price on each one and decided even though it is less room as its essentially just two hotel rooms we liked the idea of each family having a separate space and giving the kids a break from each other. So excited to stay at GCH for a little less then we would have paid for a regular PP room through Costco.

I think you'll really enjoy this. We did something similar but rented a two bedroom. DH and I took the master, my kids took the pull out sofa sleeper and the cute bed that pulls out under the tv, and our friends took the connecting studio. The GCV are amazing! And the proximity to the parks is the best!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter