Power chair in the parks question

footb35602

Earning My Ears
Does anyone know if you are in a power chair that they will move it once you get on the ride. I can walk over short distances with a walker. If I go with an able bodied friend or family member, this isn't an issue. Sometimes, I just like going to the parks by myself

Power wheelchairs in general are handled the same as manual wheelchair. If a transfer is required and they need to be moved from load to unload area, the CMs will take care of it.

Power wheelchairs can also fit on most of the accessible ride cars since they have a similar footprint and maneuverability compared to manual chairs. The only restrictions I know of would be power chairs that are longer or wider then the allowed wheelchair size or heavier than 700 pounds (chair, driver, plus any items carried)

Note that, generally CMs prefer moving (complex) power chairs in freewheel mode.
Yes. Good point.
Since the complex power wheelchairs can have have multiple different profiles. Each profile can be tweaked to the user for things like minimum/maximum speed, turning speed, backing speed, acceleration, and sensitivity, so driving one doesn’t necessarily mean driving another would be the same.
My daughter currently has 2 driving profiles - Indoor and Outdoor with very different settings. Both can be further modulated with the Rabbit/Turtle switch to go faster or slower within the speed bounds for that profile. Because the Outdoor profile has both a higher minimum and maximum speed, one rabbit on Outdoor is much different than one rabbit on Indoor

Note that, generally CMs prefer moving (complex) power chairs in freewheel mode.
Yeah, just point to where the freewheel levers are on the powerchair. On custom powerchairs (Quantum, Permie, etc.), they’re most likely next to the drive wheels and are either in front (Permie), or in the middle (Quantum).6571300C-D224-4B8F-82B2-D434F9F91A60.jpegIMG_6380.jpeg

Last edited:
The only restrictions I know of would be power chairs that are longer or wider then the allowed wheelchair size or heavier than 700 pounds (chair, driver, plus any items carried)

So if the user was 290, the chair was 400, and it had a bag on the back (approx 10lbs) for a total of 700lbs the person would need to transfer?

So if the user was 290, the chair was 400, and it had a bag on the back (approx 10lbs) for a total of 700lbs the person would need to transfer?
The reason I have been told is the weight specifications for the ramp/lift or ride car itself.
No one is going to weigh you or your wheelchair or ask how much the total weight is. If it physically fits, the CMs will probably just load you.

Yeah, just point to where the freewheel levers are on the powerchair. On custom powerchairs (Quantum, Permie, etc.), they’re most likely next to the drive wheels and are either in front (Permie), or in the middle (Quantum).View attachment 785043View attachment 785044
Depends on the model. The lever you pointed out on the Permobil appears to be a lever for the footrest part, not for freewheel.
My daughter has a Permobil F5 vs. The freewheel levers on her wheelchair for disengaging the motors are at the back.

Power wheelchairs have 2 freewheel levers. Since both wheels are independently powered, both have freewheel levers that need to be disengaged to be able to push. If only one wheel is fully disengaged, the wheelchair can’t be pushed. Trying to turn it on and use it will give an error message on the joystick if both motors/wheels are not fully engaged

The reason I have been told is the weight specifications for the ramp/lift or ride car itself.
No one is going to weigh you or your wheelchair or ask how much the total weight is. If it physically fits, the CMs will probably just load you.
Well, they might ask, but I have never seen a scale.

It is a matter of safety. A ride car or lift may only be designed to accommodate a certain weight before being at risk of failure, similar to safety restraints being designed for individuals of a least a certain height.

Speaking for myself, I wouldn’t want to find myself stuck on a ride or, worse, in a pile on the ground due to a mechanical failure. And, not that one is looking for a lawsuit or someone else to be responsible, but if the weight limit were exceeded, that would affect any liability claim and might even make you liable for damages to the ride.

Thanks!

I was discussing this with my husband, and I was trying to find that information online. I ended up emailing the Disability Access Services team at WDW, and they said there isn't a weight limit on any of the rides. 🤷‍♀️

Given the fact that we all know you can get 20 different answers from 20 different people at Disney 🤦‍♀️, I'd love to be able to show my husband something in writing to show him what I'm talking about. Do you know where I can find that information?

I really appreciate it. We're relatively new to all of this. My fold & go won't matter, but if insurance approval comes in for a powerchair, it might be close to the weight limit, depending on the weight of the chair...and transferring multiple times throughout the day is likely not going to be possible due to severe fatigue issues.

Thanks!

I was discussing this with my husband, and I was trying to find that information online. I ended up emailing the Disability Access Services team at WDW, and they said there isn't a weight limit on any of the rides. 🤷‍♀️

Given the fact that we all know you can get 20 different answers from 20 different people at Disney 🤦‍♀️, I'd love to be able to show my husband something in writing to show him what I'm talking about. Do you know where I can find that information?

I really appreciate it. We're relatively new to all of this. My fold & go won't matter, but if insurance approval comes in for a powerchair, it might be close to the weight limit, depending on the weight of the chair...and transferring multiple times throughout the day is likely not going to be possible due to severe fatigue issues.
I got the information directly from the director of disabilities services.
I have not seen anything in writing on the website.
We have not taken my daughter’s Permobil power wheelchair to WDW (too expensive and too fragile to feel confident traveling with it). Hers is 432 pounds including the battery. She weighs less than 90 pounds, so nowhere near the weight

This screenshot from the ADA Amusement park guidelines shows the minimum requirement for the access bridges for rides
IMG_8642.png

You may want to think about traveling witn a power chair. Traveling with a full-size power chair can be quite the adventure. They don’t fold. They are heavy. They don’t come apart for transport. You really need specialized vehicles to transport them (van or bus with a ramp or lift). Renting an accessible van can be quite expensive, if you can find one to rent. In many places, Uber/Lyft etc. do not accommodate full size power chairs. Accessible taxis (with ramps) can be rare.

You cannot use a power wheelchair on board an airplane, and not all airplanes can accommodate power wheelchairs in the baggage compartmen.

A new wheelchair accessible van can easily be $80,000.

I got the information directly from the director of disabilities services.
I have not seen anything in writing on the website.
We have not taken my daughter’s Permobil power wheelchair to WDW (too expensive and too fragile to feel confident traveling with it). Hers is 432 pounds including the battery. She weighs less than 90 pounds, so nowhere near the weight

This screenshot from the ADA Amusement park guidelines shows the minimum requirement for the access bridges for rides
View attachment 785551
That's extremely helpful! Thank you!

You may want to think about traveling witn a power chair. Traveling with a full-size power chair can be quite the adventure. They don’t fold. They are heavy. They don’t come apart for transport. You really need specialized vehicles to transport them (van or bus with a ramp or lift). Renting an accessible van can be quite expensive, if you can find one to rent. In many places, Uber/Lyft etc. do not accommodate full size power chairs. Accessible taxis (with ramps) can be rare.

You cannot use a power wheelchair on board an airplane, and not all airplanes can accommodate power wheelchairs in the baggage compartmen.

It's not a decision that I've made lightly, and to be honest, it's not really a choice. While it is much more difficult and expensive, it's also medically necessary, given my personal situation. My doctor has submitted a referral for one, as she believes it's necessary, as well. Unfortunately, what is needed is not always the cheapest nor the most convenient.

It's not a decision that I've made lightly, and to be honest, it's not really a choice. While it is much more difficult and expensive, it's also medically necessary, given my personal situation. My doctor has submitted a referral for one, as she believes it's necessary, as well. Unfortunately, what is needed is not always the cheapest nor the most convenient.
I am a full-time wheelchair user. I wanted to help you understand and prepare for complexities. Knowing in advance where there are likely to be bumps in the road allows for finding work-arounds, prepare for the jolt, or coming up with a totally different plan if things are insurmountable.

I am a full-time wheelchair user. I wanted to help you understand and prepare for complexities. Knowing in advance where there are likely to be bumps in the road allows for finding work-arounds, prepare for the jolt, or coming up with a totally different plan if things are insurmountable.
I appreciate it.

I'm on the moderate/severe side of my illness. Because it's an invisible illness, I tend to get side-eyes from people who don't think I need the accommodations that I do need. If I come off as defensive, that's why...and I apologize.

Again, I do appreciate your response as those are all things that need consideration.

No worries! Sometimes, people don’t realize that when one is using wheels in an environment that is really focused on walking, standing, and reaching, “you just” is often not as simple as one would hope or expect. Until you’ve spent a little bit of time on wheels, it can be challenging to internalize the necessary adjustments, develop an extended tolerance of inconveniences, and acquire a great deal of patience.

Mears has accessible taxis, although you have to call them first in order to get one.
You cannot use a power wheelchair on board an airplane, and not all airplanes can accommodate power wheelchairs in the baggage compartment.
Yeah, certain types of planes have weight and size limits set forth by the airline. And it’s nerve wracking every time you have to hand over your chair to the ground crew and hope that it doesn’t get damaged. (I’ve heard horror stories of custom powerchairs and manuals getting damaged and sometimes ruined.)
This ain’t a lie. A couple of weeks ago, I was browsing online for vans. I couldn’t get below that price. (And that’s the average price for a ramped van, not one with a lift). I tried different manufacturers, different makes and models, and different ramp deploymen styles. With the average cost of a custom powerchair being around $20k, and a van to get it around in, that‘s $100 grand right there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter