Potty training - fave travel potty seat?

ChewyJ

Earning My Ears
Hi all - we'll be in Disney World next month with our 2.5 year old. She's in the midst of potty training, wearing pull ups, and using the actual potty about half the time. Does anyone have a favorite travel potty seat that fits on top of the adult seats?

I was thinking of bringing something like this: http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Tot-2-Potty-Travel/dp/B00NFJICGM that fits on top of the adult seat. I wouldn't use it as a stand alone potty.

But what do other parents do? Admittedly, the idea of having her sit on top of public toilet seats makes me cringe, but I have to get over it sooner or later.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I worked in daycare for years and we always taught kids to use the regular toilet. It's so much easier on everyone that way - the kids learn faster and the adults don't have to worry about what to do when they are somewhere other than home.

agree with Alesia as former daycare worker and we were not allowed by state to use potty chairs had to use toilets. to be honest I would be more worried about the auto flush that having the potty seat. have plenty of post it notes but remember to remove and flush before leaving

We've got a foldable seat....if I could find a link....Our one boy refuses to use public bathrooms since potty trained. It's been a total waste, he won't even go on it. Honestly, I'd skip PT until you get home.

Dress the child in clothing and shoes that are easy to completely strip off. The toddler basically puts one leg over each side of the toilet. Mine hang on to the toilet paper roll and quickly learned to not touch anything else. They don't sit with legs in front like an adult does, that's a recipe for disaster - peeing on their shoes, on you, or falling in. Since they need to get their legs so far apart, the underwear/pull-up and any pants need to come off completely, or at least come off of one foot. Forget the travel seats, I've tried several of them and they were all worthless.

If she'll still wear a diaper or pull up, just leave those on and tell her it's ok at WDW. I'd skip potty training for that week if possible. I had one child who was very insistant about potty training so skipping it for a week wouldn't have worked with her. That stage of potty training is my least favorite time, but I've BTDT at WDW with two of my kids. Bring several changes of clothing that you keep in a backpack on your back at all times, and if the kid is upset about an accident just tell them that Mickey Mouse isn't mad at them. Also FYI, if they wet the bed (we've had at least one soak-through issue) Mousekeeping is really quick about getting a change of sheets and the mattresses have protectors on there.

I feel like we've tried every potty seat lol.
When my older daughter was potty training (she was 2), we tried the folding potty seats and the potette. She didn't like any of them because they either slid around too much, or she was sitting too far back on the toilet and her legs were straight out. She would refuse to just use the regular toilet, so that wasn't an option.
We ended up buying the Prince Lionheart weePOD Basix and that worked well for when we were out. I carried that stupid thing around (in a wet bag) on our Disney Cruise and around the parks for 5 days, but she was comfortable with it. She basically fully potty trained on that trip.
I also have the OXO one you linked, and I like it better than the potette, but it slides around a lot, so it takes some getting used to.

We used the potette and that works well, but I wouldn't want to carry it around the parks. I found toilet seat covers that cover nearly the whole thing (I think a Buy Buy Baby) and I brought those to use on our last trip.

We had a foldable potty seat (target has one for $10) I can't get the link to copy, just goggle foldable potty. We didn't use it much, she went without it. My daughter was starting to potty train about a month before our trip, so we just kept her in pull-ups until we returned. I was nervous with her just starting and being in the parks.

We have one like this:

http://www.target.com/p/ginsey-disn...#prodSlot=medium_1_2&term=foldable+potty+seat

(I think this is what a few posters above were referencing also). It fits in a purse, so easy to carry around.

As another option, I hold my 3yo when the seats are really dirty and I don't have the foldable seat. Put your arms under their armpits and hold their legs (they are facing away from you) and they can go that way.

We also use a potette and while I love it, we aren't taking it on our vacation. The kids will just go in the big potty.

We've never taken a seat in to a Disney park during potty training, we've just gone with what's there. I do know sometimes kids are intimidated by the whole public restroom experience so I see no harm in taking one if you think your daughter might be more comfortable. Personally I'd take a folding seat because it looks easiest to wash/disinfect after each use. If you do go with a travel seat have her get used to it before you go.

Also I do want to suggest you take a pad of post-it type notes to stick over the electronic eye of the flusher as soon as you step in to the stall so there are no scary surprises for your child :) That's always been a bigger issue for our family than using the regular seat or 'real' toilet has been. The best thing to make her comfortable will be a no-big-deal attitude towards using the toilets there.

I have the oxo seat and love it. It folds up nicely and fits in both of my diaper bags. One is a Skip Hop messenger and the other is a Vera Bradley back pack. My son hated sitting on regular toilet seats because he felt he was going to fall in. I found this one to be the most sturdy option and great for walking around being a tourist in a big city. I did buy a superman bumkins wet bag to carry it in because the bag that comes with it wasn't to going to withstand the opening and closing every few minutes. Also, I wanted something that I could just throw in the washer and didn't look like I was carrying a potty seat.

Hi all - we'll be in Disney World next month with our 2.5 year old. She's in the midst of potty training, wearing pull ups, and using the actual potty about half the time. Does anyone have a favorite travel potty seat that fits on top of the adult seats?

I was thinking of bringing something like this: http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Tot-2-Potty-Travel/dp/B00NFJICGM that fits on top of the adult seat. I wouldn't use it as a stand alone potty.

But what do other parents do? Admittedly, the idea of having her sit on top of public toilet seats makes me cringe, but I have to get over it sooner or later.

Thanks!

We have a Jansport big student back pack. the big compartment fits with room, our travel Baby Bjorn potty. she uses it at home and when we are out. You can lay down a toilet seat cover onto the floor, pop the potty on, and she's all set. when done, dump into the big potty, wipe with toilet paper, then with a baby wipe or sanitizing wipe if it's a #2. we did this for DD at age 2, and again for this trip at age 4. I agree the thought of going on the big potty is nasty considering her hands, legs, clothing, etc.. basically everything will be touching the big potty if she uses it. i have a bad knee and i'm not able to lift her onto the big potty, so this works great for us. The travel in Bjorn Travel potty is a compact design to their regular potty. she has always used it at home. another great thing, is when she's on her potty in the stall, i can use the big one! if i need more time, i just tell her to stay on it until i am ready to get her off. :) i hope i helped!

We have a foldable potty seat, love it. It doesn't take up that much space in my purse (especially compared to wipes and diapers!) and DS is smaller and timid so it really does help him feel more comfortable. Worth the $10 to try it IMO.

We used the potette in Disney for one trip because our oldest had a heck of a time in public restrooms with #2 at that time. My DH would take him into the restroom for him to use it on the floor since it stands up on its own with its own bag. We had a stroller so it just hung on the stroller in a bag that trip. The other two never really needed it, and most restrooms have seat liners now.

When DS was around that age I used to carry a pottete plus with me:
http://smile.amazon.com/Kalencom-2-...4849927&sr=8-3-spell&keywords=kalecom+pottete

It is a little bulky but really helped my DS and we could use it even if a restroom was nowhere in sight.
We had one of the ones that folds in 4 and it collapsed down in a seat once, Disney toilets are wider and with thinner rims than the ones at home.

You can also try to see if your LO can use a regular seat but straddle it facing backwards. That has worked quite well for us on public restrooms, you do need to have clothing that allows you to do it, or if wearing pants/shorts take one side completely off.
And don't forget to bring post-its to cover the sensors of the automatic flushing toilets, they scare the hell out of potty training toddlers.

I think the baby centers have potties, if that's what your LO is used to

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter