• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Post your best organizational, space saving and trip making secrets here!!

My dh and I both take a variety of vitamins, including calcium, etc. That used to mean several large bottles rattling around in the suitcase. Now this is what I do -- go to a local pharmacy and ask for several perscription bottles. Usually they will give them to you free. Pack a days' supply of supplements per bottle, and I print out labels with name and supplement name. Its so much easier that way. You just take out your bottle for the day and that's it, no rummaging around for this and that bottle. Just throw the empties away when used.

Instead of taking a plastic basket to hold bathroom stuff, we just use the ice bucket in the room to store bathroom items. One less thing to pack.

My family and I drive to Disney from MASS. We have DS 11, DD 6, DS 7mth. We pack a rubbermaid plastic storage container for each of them, full of paper color penciles (no crayons they melt) cd players, games ect... (toys for baby). If they have room in the container they can bring it, if not to bad. Then when we arrive they have toys and games in the room. Don't forget batteries for camera, kids toys ect... At wal-mart they have lap tray's near the check out for $3 they are good in the car for playing and snacks.

I couldn't wait until I could lose the diaper bag. Now that we're out of that stage, I find myself packing my LandsEnd diaper bag w/ all our toiletries. Works great with all its' pockets and dividers.

I also pack a mesh bag I purchased from http://www.saltwatercanvas.com/meshbags.htm I can hang all the wet bottles, razors, etc and let it dry. Have a second smaller one for all the tooth brushes and paste. If you look around the above link, you'll find beach bags. I put all our bathing suits, goggles, sun screen, etc. in one of these (I have the whale bag) and our swim gear is ready when we are. Because its' mesh, it's also good for the gear when wet. (BTW, I have no vested interest in the above e-store.)

Sharper Image had a refurbished travel alarm w/ soothing sounds. We need white noise and this provides great choices.

We have an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet w/ all the basics on it. (Quick itinerary, ressies, phone numbers.) For day to day use, I love my Passporter. I usually carry a folder to put my papers in. Resort news, itinerary, maps, etc go in there.

At home, I have an under bed plastic storage container. We store our lanyards, GOH pins, autograph books, guide books, spinny things that light, etc. If we want to relive our trip, or get ready for the next, it's all there. In the past, I've purchased WDW themed party wear (plates, napkins, whatever) on clearance and put it in the box. When we go to WDW, I pull it out either before to rev up the troops, or bring it w/ for fun.

Should you be so fortunate to find pins on sale before the trip, purchase them and hand them out during the trip. They can trade or keep as they wish. Acutally, I've purchased pins I thought they wouldn't like, to encourage trading. Worked once. :rolleyes:

My dds are always given DDollars before the trip. They know how much they have to spend, and that's that. If someone finds something extra special, I try and purchase it on the sly, and save it for a birthday or Christmas.

Where did you find a letter tp print out for your DD's school? If anyone has this I would love to see it, I need one for my DD also. Thanks so much, I have learned so many things from this thread. I :love: it!!!!

Saw this on another board here and wanted to share these autograph tips:

Purchase a mat (like that a photo will go into) and have the characters sign those, then you can insert the photos you took with them!

Puy a Disney storybook with as many characters are you can find in it and have them autograph a page with their pic. if they aren't in the book they can sign the blank end pages.

mamahucks said:
Where did you find a letter tp print out for your DD's school? If anyone has this I would love to see it, I need one for my DD also. Thanks so much, I have learned so many things from this thread. I :love: it!!!!

:) mamahucks! Hello there fellow North Carolinian! :wave2: Try themouseforless.com.
I've found some GREAT printable stuff on that site! :thumbsup2 I've printed out so much stuff that I'm gonna take it to Office Max or some other office supply store and have them to bind it into a book for each of my kids for our trip! :yay:

I just love all these great tips & this site!!!! :woohoo:
:disrocks:

Great Idea about the photo mat! You could even cut the mats with card stock paper and put it right into a scrapbook! Anyone else? These ideas are AMAZING!!

momginger said:
:) mamahucks! Hello there fellow North Carolinian! :wave2: Try themouseforless.com.
I've found some GREAT printable stuff on that site! :thumbsup2 I've printed out so much stuff that I'm gonna take it to Office Max or some other office supply store and have them to bind it into a book for each of my kids for our trip! :yay:

I just love all these great tips & this site!!!! :woohoo:
:disrocks:

Great mind think alike!!!! I printed out the Alphabet and Numbers and I'm going to have them laminated and then three ring hole-punched. That and a wipe off marker or pencil and both my kids can use them over and over again.
The journal pages I'm going to print off and have bound into a book for the Kindergarten student and she can bring it to school for show and tell after we return. :banana:

feel free to do laundry, if you are staying somewhere with washers and dryers, this can minimize the amount of clothes you bring,

You guys are great. I have a travel checklist that I created with the help of a friend. It lists all the basics and then things that need to be done at home before leaving (such as, set alarm, turn up air conditioner, etc.). You guys have given me some great things to add to my checklist. Thanks! :sunny:

One thing we always pack is medication basics - children's tylenol and advil, stomach medicine, and cold medicine.

In Luv with Disney said:
I have this bag too! Mine is Samsonite. It is THE BEST travel bag I have ever seen! I've had mine for quite some time now, and I'd love a new one. But no one has this one. However, LANDS END has similar travel bags, if anyone is interested!!!! I keep this bag FULLY PACKED at all times. The night before I leave, I just go through everything to make sure it's still good and if I need to replace anything, I do so. It's ALWAYS ready to go!

I can't say enough about traveling with zip lock baggies...they are a God's send!!! I don't go ANYWHERE with out them. Always take a bunch with you to the parks as well...in case there is leftover popcorn and you don't want to throw it away, put it in a baggie. If one of your kids gets ice cream from their Mickey Bar all over their shirt, put the dirty one in a baggie. This leads me to my next tip...if you have little ones, ALWAYS pack a change of clothes when y ou go to the parks! If they get messy, you will always have a back-up outfit. (unless you plan to buy them something in the parks, this works out great!)

WIPES....if you have kids, YOU NEED THEM!!!!! (even adults! so much better than regular paper napkins to clean a mess!)

HAND SANITIZER...take a bunch!

SUNSCREEN...don't go anywhere without it!!!

I have the Samsonite bag too. I know others are into bringing sample sizes of shampoo etc. but that gets to be too tedious for me to remember each and every toiletry I may need for a vacation. I like having the full size containers of stuff and they last so long you rarely have to re-pack. I just love that I grab that bag and go when we travel.

I used to have the bag from QVC...I think it's called the Freedom Bag. That was a nice one too...

OurMsBrooks said:
My favorite trick that I read in a parenting magazine a long time ago is to put the littler kids' clothes in gallon size ziplock bags. Put the entire outfit (shorts, top, underwear, socks, even hair barrettes and hats), except for the shoes, in a bag, and bring as many bags as days, plus a few extras. This keeps the suitcases in great order, and all the kid has to do to get dressed in the morning is grab a bag. As a bonus, you end up with a lot of gallon size ziplock bags, which are great for everything from wet bathing suits to open bags of snacks.

That is one of the best packing ideas I have ever heard. I hate digging through suitcases to find the right socks or whatever. DH just grabs whatever he sees and that usually makes another outfit incomplete. Plus, all the digging around makes everything a mess. Thanks so much for sharing that one. I will be trying that on our next vacation.

What alot of great ideas, especially for a first timer like myself.
I've read in some posts about writing your information like ADRs, park hours, etc on 5x7 lined index cards and them having the cards laminated. How do you go about laminating them? Can you purchase something to do it yourself at home? If so, where and how much?

Thanks

prcoamo said:
What alot of great ideas, especially for a first timer like myself.
I've read in some posts about writing your information like ADRs, park hours, etc on 5x7 lined index cards and them having the cards laminated. How do you go about laminating them? Can you purchase something to do it yourself at home? If so, where and how much?

Thanks
As far as laminating, there are a lot of different options. I personally use the Xyron machine. It makes stickers, magnets and does laminating. I bought mine nearly 7 years ago and it was kinda expensive. Now, however I think they are very reasonable. If you have a Michael's, Hobby Lobby or JoAnn near you, they usually have 40% off coupons and you could get a Xyron for around $20.00.

Hobby Lobby also has a little machine that only does laminating and I think it's regular price is under $20 so w/coupon would be even less.

I use mine on almost a daily basis (that and my Expo label maker) and it is worth it's weight in gold to me.

Hope that helps!

I too pack in ziplocs. We have 3 kids, 13, 9 & 8. I pack each child's clothes in separate gallon size bags, squeeze out the air (wrinkle "free") and label them for each day with permanent marker.

They collapsable laundry hamper sounds great! We usually throw all dirty clothes in a pile until nightfall a couple of days later when I wind up doing laundry. I'm a clean freak, so this sounds great as far as not leaving a mess in the room. Don't forget to pack laundry detergent & quarters in a ziploc too!

Shoe bag also sounds great. We're going again in June and I will use this for all toiletries.

As far as packing for me (and DH), I've learned that wearing a tank top with a sports bra under it works great! It gets soooo hot! Wearing this is comfortable and cool, especially when you may change clothes more than once a day.

A MUST HAVE: Misting battery operated hand-held fan for everyone in your family! These are imperative!!! You can buy one in the parks for about $16 each---but if you check with Walgreens or Walmart, you can buy them before your trip for about $4-$5 each! (don't forget extra batteries!)

My hubby & I both carry fanny packs-may not look too cool, but they can hold everything we need while in the parks! They stay on your waist so you can ride the rides without leaving a backpack at the gate. I keep fingernail clippers (for cutting off price tags, loose strings or nails with), id, money, small flashlight, cell phones, camera, wipes, extra sunglasses, tickets.., sunscreen...you name it, in them!!!

Refillable mugs are also a must! YOU WILL USE THEM!

As far as being in Disney - Remember - if you don't ask, it won't happen on its own. Mousekeeping may not know that you want something, you need to ask front desk. Special occasions - let 'em know, they will attempt to make everyday special for your little ones.

We are going to the water parks this trip.......any suggestions!??????!

Mendkidz...Great tips!! I wish we could fit everything we have into a fanny pack, but there is no way :) . We use a messenger bag to hold absolutely everything (umbrellas, rain slickers, wipes, etc.) It wraps around the back so it's not very cumbersome.

As far as water park suggestions, I can offer some. We are a Water Park LOVING family!! Honestly, my kids like the water parks better than all the other parks put together. Since your kids are older, they might like Blizzard Beach better. Although our family likes Typhoon Lagoon much better, BB has Summit Plummet (steepest drop on a water slide in the world) and other thrill rides. Typhoon Lagoon has Crush n' Gusher and Shark reef which I think the kids would love too. Honestly, both are worth seeing, but if you were only going to pick one park, I would pick TL. The wave pool @ TL has the biggest and most frequent waves of any wave pool in the world and shark reef is just a blast! If you can swing 2 parks, go to both, you won't be disappointed. If you can just do 1 park I suggest doing it early in your trip, you'll probably find you'll want to go again! Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter