• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Post surgery exhaustion?

leebee

DIS Veteran
Have you had surgery, and if so, how long after the surgery did it take for you to get your stamina back? I expected to be worn out for a bit after having my knee replacement surgery, but I didn't expect to be this tired for this long! I had my surgery on June 21- so 3 months ago- and I still am worn out and tired all the time. It's like I have no stamina at all. I worked 7.5 hours today and when I got home, I took a nap for about an hour as I was SO tired. Now it's 9:30pm, so a little over two hours since I got up from my "nap," and about 2-3 hours before my normal bedtime (usually go to bed around midnight). I am fighting to keep my eyes open! I did not expect to be this tired for this long! I have had bloodwork done and everything looks good there, so it's not like my hemoglobin is low or something. I'm just wondering how long this tiredness is going to continue!

Well, to answer your question, leebee, after my knee replacement 9 years ago, I felt, stamina-wise, okay after maybe 3 weeks. After my cardiac ablation, January, 2022, about the same, maybe 3 weeks. I'm sorry you're still dealing with that issue. I have no suggestions. :hug:'s

Have you had surgery, and if so, how long after the surgery did it take for you to get your stamina back? I expected to be worn out for a bit after having my knee replacement surgery, but I didn't expect to be this tired for this long! I had my surgery on June 21- so 3 months ago- and I still am worn out and tired all the time. It's like I have no stamina at all. I worked 7.5 hours today and when I got home, I took a nap for about an hour as I was SO tired. Now it's 9:30pm, so a little over two hours since I got up from my "nap," and about 2-3 hours before my normal bedtime (usually go to bed around midnight). I am fighting to keep my eyes open! I did not expect to be this tired for this long! I have had bloodwork done and everything looks good there, so it's not like my hemoglobin is low or something. I'm just wondering how long this tiredness is going to continue!
I just came from my pre-surgical hip replacement class. He said the stamina thing is totally different for each person. One person may take 6 weeks to 6 months to recover to the same level as someone else only taking 4 to 6 weeks does.

Knee replacements are harder, so I'd expect to take up to 6 months to return to a somewhat "normal" condition. As our teacher said, "remember, your whole body is working to heal, and it's exhausting. Take your time."

Especially, since you've apparently returned to work, I'd expect it to take a bit longer also.

It will take time to build up ferritin (you can have normal hemoglobin but have low ferritin and still have fatigue) and get back your energy. I take methyl B complex (ortho molecular or Thorne). Listen to your body and let it recover. I take a multi strain probiotic (I like renew life, but switch it up with Akkermansia). Alpha base (ortho molecular) is a good multivitamin and has b12 and iron (iron free is recommended for men).

Prioritize yourself and be kind to yourself. This is temporary and you will start to feel better over time.

Last edited:

I just came from my pre-surgical hip replacement class. He said the stamina thing is totally different for each person. One person may take 6 weeks to 6 months to recover to the same level as someone else only taking 4 to 6 weeks does.
Absolutely this. I've had 17 surgeries, ranging from minor to major, and it's really hard to predict how long it will take to get back to feeling normal each time.

My only surgery so far was a C-section, so I honestly have no idea how much tiredness was due to recovery and how much was "tiny human who only slept two hours at a time" :rotfl:

But I do agree that you should cut yourself some slack. - If you're tired, it's OK to have a nap, especially with the transition to the new school year! (Keep in mind, you are also fighting off more germs all of a sudden.)

I am 9 weeks post op knee replacement. I generally feel good but by the evening, I am soooo tired. I have read that there is quite a bit of “energy drain” during the healing process with a knee replacement. I am retired but wouldn’t doubt that being back to work is causing much more fatigue. I think it is perfectly normal at this point of your recovery. It’s a 1 year recovery and they did lots of carpentry work in there!

I am having my right knee replaced 10/23, so will be back in the throes of it all again.

I am 9 weeks post op knee replacement. I generally feel good but by the evening, I am soooo tired. I have read that there is quite a bit of “energy drain” during the healing process with a knee replacement. I am retired but wouldn’t doubt that being back to work is causing much more fatigue. I think it is perfectly normal at this point of your recovery. It’s a 1 year recovery and they did lots of carpentry work in there!

I am having my right knee replaced 10/23, so will be back in the throes of it all again.
Thanks to everyone who replied. While I don't think there is anything "wrong" it's comforting to hear that the tiredness isn't uncommon. Also, a friend just mentioned that since I've been back to work, the swelling/discomfort in my leg has been waking me several times a night, which surely is contributing to my tiredness.

Good luck, @maxaroni. I am at 13 weeks post surgery right now and I can't imagine going thru it all again. However, having been thru one replacement, I think I'm better prepared for what to expect, so that'd make it easier.

@leebee , I've had a lot of surgeries and agree with your friend about just plain not getting enough sleep. There is always some discomfort that makes us sleep in positions we're not used to, stuff like that.
It just takes time. Eat healthfully and it'll all come together. Best to you.

Thanks to everyone who replied. While I don't think there is anything "wrong" it's comforting to hear that the tiredness isn't uncommon. Also, a friend just mentioned that since I've been back to work, the swelling/discomfort in my leg has been waking me several times a night, which surely is contributing to my tiredness.

Good luck, @maxaroni. I am at 13 weeks post surgery right now and I can't imagine going thru it all again. However, having been thru one replacement, I think I'm better prepared for what to expect, so that'd make it easier.
My sleep cycle was so shattered by my double knee replacement and then again by the infection and redo of my right knee, that I needed help sleeping for a while. I talked to my doctor, and she prescribed Trazodone. I took it for about 9 months after surgery. It helped a lot.

ETA: Trazodone not Tramadol!!!

Last edited:
@Mrs. Ciz Thanks for the thought. I am going to call my doc and talk to her about the sleep issue. Good sleep is also important for healing.

That just is not normal for something like this. I can understand your frustration. Not to make light of what you went through at all but there are several things I can think of that can drag the body down like this but I wouldn't go with a joint replacement as being one KWIM?

My suggestions...review any meds you may have been on for the past 3 months. Are you on any new ones? Also call your pharmacy and ask if any of your current meds had been switched recently to a different manufacturer. Medication even slight tweaks in them can drag you down.

How is the QUALITY of your sleep? Any chance you could have sleep apnea and might benefit from a sleep study?

Do you take vitamins?

I really feel for you. I have been horribly sick for 4+ years now - it started after I went through surgery, chemo, radiation for stage 2 cancer and nobody knows what is wrong with me. All tests are perfect but I had to call an ambulance yet again to take me to the ER 2 weeks ago for this issue and as I am writhing in pain, tachycardic(SP?), sweating madly, delirious...alll my blood work is perfect and they have no clue what is happening all they know how to do is stop it.

It's exhausting.

Check your b12 levels which can drop due to surgery. And get the number, do not just take a 'it's fine/normal'

All the best to you.

Hugs for you @leebee :hug:
I hope you get your energy back soon - sending lots of PD your way :wizard:

Well, to answer your question, leebee, after my knee replacement 9 years ago, I felt, stamina-wise, okay after maybe 3 weeks. After my cardiac ablation, January, 2022, about the same, maybe 3 weeks. I'm sorry you're still dealing with that issue. I have no suggestions. :hug:'s
I had a cardiac ablation three months ago. Doctor said not to lift more than 10 pounds for 2 weeks, and I couldn't go out of town for a month, Spent a night in the hospital, but was pretty much back to normal 2 days later. Now, I was mentally a little fuzzy for 2 days from the anesthesia, but never tired. I don't remember that issue when I had hernia surgery but that was 30 years ago.
Only lingering impact from the ablation was the the prescription antacids I had to take for a month, those messed with my digestive track, and 3 months later still now back to normal.
Went in today to get a heart monitor on, will wear it for 2 weeks to see if the afib is gone. Every EKG says it is gone, but this will be the final test so hopefully I can stop taking a blood thinner.

That just is not normal for something like this. I can understand your frustration. Not to make light of what you went through at all but there are several things I can think of that can drag the body down like this but I wouldn't go with a joint replacement as being one KWIM?

My suggestions...review any meds you may have been on for the past 3 months. Are you on any new ones? Also call your pharmacy and ask if any of your current meds had been switched recently to a different manufacturer. Medication even slight tweaks in them can drag you down.

How is the QUALITY of your sleep? Any chance you could have sleep apnea and might benefit from a sleep study?

Do you take vitamins?

I really feel for you. I have been horribly sick for 4+ years now - it started after I went through surgery, chemo, radiation for stage 2 cancer and nobody knows what is wrong with me. All tests are perfect but I had to call an ambulance yet again to take me to the ER 2 weeks ago for this issue and as I am writhing in pain, tachycardic(SP?), sweating madly, delirious...alll my blood work is perfect and they have no clue what is happening all they know how to do is stop it.

It's exhausting.
I can assure you that a knee replacement can give you that energy drain, even 3 months out. It takes about 1 year for the healing process is complete, so still a baby knee. I am 9 weeks out and can feel it. If there is still swelling, which can happen from over doing it, the swelling causes pain which can impede sleep. The knee responds to over use and you can wind up in the ODIC, Over did it club. It responds by swelling and/or pain. Working and keeping up a house can certainly be a lot on that new knee.

All people are different, all knees are different even on the same person.

@leebee. Thanks. I am not sure I want to do this again but, my knee won’t get better so get it done. My right knee is actually then the left but went with the left one first, as it was more painful at the time. I have also had a hip replacement (2017) and the knees are harder.

You will get there. If you do this again, go to this website that will be supportive and they have a wealth of information…Bonesmart It is worth it.

I can assure you that a knee replacement can give you that energy drain, even 3 months out. It takes about 1 year for the healing process is complete, so still a baby knee. I am 9 weeks out and can feel it. If there is still swelling, which can happen from over doing it, the swelling causes pain which can impede sleep.
I fully agree. Myself, along with almost everybody I talked to before my surgery, as well as those after mine, pretty much agree on yhst 1 year time frame for complete recovery. And yes, my biggest issue, fir months, was trying to sleep comfortably. Woke up a lot in those early days and weeks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter