Post-Greece ABD Options

TXAKDisneyFan

DIS Veteran
Half our party is doing the Greece ABD ending Aug 6 next year. Then the other half meets us in Athens to hit a few highlights before going to Venice (Ravenna) for a Greek Isles cruise departing Aug 13.

We'll probably try to arrive in Italy on Aug 11 or 12, but the 5-6 days between the ABD and going to Italy are the question:
- how many days should everyone spend in Athens before heading to Italy; and
- should those of us on the ABD extend our time on Crete before flying to Athens.

Those not going on the ABD who will want to see sights in Athens include my parents who are getting up there in age (they're both ambulatory but probably don't want to push it), as well as my youngest son who is autistic.

If they only do 2 or 3 days in Athens (arrive around the 8th or 9th), I'm not sure if the rest of us should immediately fly to Athens on the 6th or if it'd be worth spending a couple extra days on Crete?

Half our party is doing the Greece ABD ending Aug 6 next year. Then the other half meets us in Athens to hit a few highlights before going to Venice (Ravenna) for a Greek Isles cruise departing Aug 13.

We'll probably try to arrive in Italy on Aug 11 or 12, but the 5-6 days between the ABD and going to Italy are the question:
- how many days should everyone spend in Athens before heading to Italy; and
- should those of us on the ABD extend our time on Crete before flying to Athens.

Those not going on the ABD who will want to see sights in Athens include my parents who are getting up there in age (they're both ambulatory but probably don't want to push it), as well as my youngest son who is autistic.

If they only do 2 or 3 days in Athens (arrive around the 8th or 9th), I'm not sure if the rest of us should immediately fly to Athens on the 6th or if it'd be worth spending a couple extra days on Crete?

IMO, there wasn‘t anything to do in Crete after the ABD. The resort was very expensive and nothing was close to the Porto Elounda Golf & Spa Resort where you stay. However, the spa was awesome and ABD gave us time to schedule treatments, at our own expense, during our stay. Its been a while since I did the Greece ABD, but I remember that all flights from Crete had a layover in Athens. I came into Athens a couple of days before the ABD and then flew back to Athens for a day or two after the ABD to see the rest of the things on my bucket list. Those in your group not going on the ABD will probably want to see some of the sites you saw with the ABD(Acropolis, Plaka, Olympic site, etc). A lot depends on if you plan on re-seeing those sites with them or letting them experience them themselves. While ABD shows you the major sites, it doesn’t show you everything. There’s a lot to do and see in Venice. I would recommend that you spend more time there seeing the city (Doge’s Palace, St. Mark’s Square, Rialto Bridge, gondola ride, etc) and the surrounding islands (Murano and Burano) before boarding the ship. Below is my suggested itinerary:

Aug 6– ABDers spend one more night in Crete
Aug 7–ABDers fly to Athens; nonABDers arrive in Athens
Aug 8-9 everyone see Athens— do Acropolis; Agora; Parthenon; Plaka; museums; Mount Lycabettus; shop & get homemade Greek sandals at the Poet Sandalmaker
Aug 10–everyone fly to Venice
Aug 11-12 Venice sightseeing
Aug 13 Board ship

Happy planning!

I suggest at least one extra day at the resort in Crete! The Porto Elounda is gorgeous, and the setting spectacular, and I really wish I'd had at least one extra day there to relax and really enjoy the resort and the fabulous spa.

Sayhello

If you need a day to relax, I would probably spend one more night in Crete and then go back to Athens. The ABD tour barely scratches the surface of sites to see in Athens - I would want more time there, personally.

We spent one of our post days enjoying the spa at the resort. The Sense of Greece package was incredible; marine salt bath, Cretan olive stones/oil body scrub, warm seaweed body wrap, Zeus power massage and the Mediterranean antioxidant facial, so relaxing after a busy ABD. They even arranged lunch on the balcony. The other day we spent going back to the little town of Plaka for great shopping and great food.
We're planning a trip back, just to Crete. We're going to circle the island visiting Elafonisi Beach, Samaria Gorge, Rethymno Old Town and Chania amongst others. Adventure Crete is located in Elounda and while we are on that end of the island plan to do of couple of their tours, they all look amazing.

We spent several days in Athens prior to the start of our adventure and thoroughly enjoyed it. The Greece ABD was one of our favorites and thinking about it makes me want to do it again! :-)

IMO, there wasn‘t anything to do in Crete after the ABD. The resort was very expensive and nothing was close to the Porto Elounda Golf & Spa Resort where you stay. However, the spa was awesome and ABD gave us time to schedule treatments, at our own expense, during our stay. Its been a while since I did the Greece ABD, but I remember that all flights from Crete had a layover in Athens. I came into Athens a couple of days before the ABD and then flew back to Athens for a day or two after the ABD to see the rest of the things on my bucket list. Those in your group not going on the ABD will probably want to see some of the sites you saw with the ABD(Acropolis, Plaka, Olympic site, etc). A lot depends on if you plan on re-seeing those sites with them or letting them experience them themselves. While ABD shows you the major sites, it doesn’t show you everything. There’s a lot to do and see in Venice. I would recommend that you spend more time there seeing the city (Doge’s Palace, St. Mark’s Square, Rialto Bridge, gondola ride, etc) and the surrounding islands (Murano and Burano) before boarding the ship. Below is my suggested itinerary:

Aug 6– ABDers spend one more night in Crete
Aug 7–ABDers fly to Athens; nonABDers arrive in Athens
Aug 8-9 everyone see Athens— do Acropolis; Agora; Parthenon; Plaka; museums; Mount Lycabettus; shop & get homemade Greek sandals at the Poet Sandalmaker
Aug 10–everyone fly to Venice
Aug 11-12 Venice sightseeing
Aug 13 Board ship

Happy planning!
That sounds like a good plan. We just got back from the Italy ABD and I'd love for my family (the non-ABDers) to explore Venice. It was such a unique and beautiful place. (And now that we have somewhat of a grasp of the city, it'll be easier to help them navigate.)

Highly recommend reading the book "The Island" by Victoria Islop before your trip.

I agree with the others that just one more day to relax in Crete would be nice, and then spend some extra time in Athens. We really liked the ABD hotel (Hotel Metropolis?) when we went, and I would rebook it in a heartbeat. Well air-conditioned rooms! Would also suggest you do a food tour in Athens - great way to see the city and something all generations like. Also, easy to book a private tour so you have more flexibility. We went through greeking.me for our food tour.

Highly recommend reading the book "The Island" by Victoria Islop before your trip.

I agree with the others that just one more day to relax in Crete would be nice, and then spend some extra time in Athens. We really liked the ABD hotel (Hotel Metropolis?) when we went, and I would rebook it in a heartbeat. Well air-conditioned rooms! Would also suggest you do a food tour in Athens - great way to see the city and something all generations like. Also, easy to book a private tour so you have more flexibility. We went through greeking.me for our food tour.
I totally agree on reading "The Island" (although the author's name is Hislop). I always forget to mention that, but it's an excellent enhancement for the visit to Spinalonga!

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter