• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Post Cruise Swaying- suggestions?

bevcgg

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone- Just off the Dream Double Dip 4 nights- it was wonderful! Our FIRST as even my DH who likes to complain about my "Disney Obsession" is taking over his vacation days- is already talking about next time.

But two days later I am still swaying- not as bad as the first day. (Our cruise was super calm) A total inner ear thing I know and from what I have been reading I fall into the "female age group" this happens to the most. Any suggestions or tips on how to make this go away? Oddly I had no problems on Castaway or in Nassa.

Back to work- but holding onto my desk...
Thanks!

Hello - there are many threads on this topic. You are not alone. Basically the rule of thumb is to continue your motion sickness med for a few days after disembarking. I start mine a couple days before and continue a couple days after. I don't know if you started it up now but it might help :)

I agree with continuing motion sickness meds once you are off the cruise, or starting them if you weren't taking them during the cruise. I also find that staying active helps. I feel it worst when I'm sitting at my desk at work following a cruise. It's much less noticeable if I keep moving. For some reason, moderate exercise like jogging seems to help reset my inner ear. After my very first cruise, I was feeling the rocking motion a lot until I went to the gym and ran on a treadmill for about 20 minutes. After that, I was back to normal. I don't know if that works for anyone else, but it worked for me.

For me, if I don’t continue taking my motion pills I will have problems for many days after. I suggest if you don’t have any, stop and buy some motion pills and take them for a few days. It works wonders for me. I got that suggestion from this board and it definitely stops the rocking!
Glad you had a great time!! :)

Hello everyone- Just off the Dream Double Dip 4 nights- it was wonderful! Our FIRST as even my DH who likes to complain about my "Disney Obsession" is taking over his vacation days- is already talking about next time.

But two days later I am still swaying- not as bad as the first day. (Our cruise was super calm) A total inner ear thing I know and from what I have been reading I fall into the "female age group" this happens to the most. Any suggestions or tips on how to make this go away? Oddly I had no problems on Castaway or in Nassa.

Thanks!

I'm a guy and this seems to happen to me after every cruise. Our Wonder cruise in March left me particularly messed up for a couple days. I found it's worse sitting down in the "facilities" or walking down a long hallway.

I agree with continuing motion sickness meds once you are off the cruise, or starting them if you weren't taking them during the cruise. I also find that staying active helps. I feel it worst when I'm sitting at my desk at work following a cruise. It's much less noticeable if I keep moving. For some reason, moderate exercise like jogging seems to help reset my inner ear. After my very first cruise, I was feeling the rocking motion a lot until I went to the gym and ran on a treadmill for about 20 minutes. After that, I was back to normal. I don't know if that works for anyone else, but it worked for me.

Yep- the exercise thing works for me. Walking, running. Helps- alot! And medication-free!

Thanks!
I enjoy the slight residual sway. It brings back good memories of the cruise. :)

I also experience the swaying at least on day after, some time 2 days later when we're back on dry land. Funny, I don't recall having the sways when flying back home just hours after disembarking the ship. Exercise is my cure. Walk, walk, and more walking. But then I just believe I'm getting another day at sea. More for the money.

2 things have worked for me: Going on Mission: Space orange, and time. I didn't get to go to Mission: Space after this last cruise and swayed for 3 days or so afterward. It wasn't bad, but I did have to remind myself I'm on dry land now, a few times. I really don't know if it's a male/female thing. The females in our travel party sways, while the menfolk do not.

Others have already mentioned exercise, but this is really the only thing that helped me. I definitely noticed the swaying more when I was stationary. I do not typically get motion sickness, so I didn't take any meds, before, during or after the cruise. That may be why the swaying lasted a good couple of weeks. I never was sick from it, it was just mildly irritating.

I'm a female and I've never experienced this, and I just got off a 13 day cruise. I run everyday so maybe that's why... or maybe it's the alcohol consumption like pp mentioned. I also don't take meds unless the captain says were headed for really rough seas.

Good to know- I am a runner but with my current balance issue- would not have thought about hopping on the treadmill. I will give that a try!

Others have already mentioned exercise, but this is really the only thing that helped me. I definitely noticed the swaying more when I was stationary. I do not typically get motion sickness, so I didn't take any meds, before, during or after the cruise. That may be why the swaying lasted a good couple of weeks. I never was sick from it, it was just mildly irritating.
I do a lot of motion related sports and fly hot air balloons- never experienced any motion issues so it never even occurred to me to take any meds - knowing if things got bad I could get them on the ship. BUT I am not sure I can handle this for weeks! LOL! It has been 4 days so far. Off to the gym! Thanks all for the tips!

Good to know- I am a runner but with my current balance issue- would not have thought about hopping on the treadmill. I will give that a try!

Be careful. Although I was feeling the swaying when I got on the treadmill, I wasn't having balance issues that time. And I started on the treadmill at a walking pace for about 5 minutes, holding onto the handles until I was certain I was safe. Then I kicked up the speed by increments until I was at about 5MPH, so not super fast either.

My last cruise, which I just disembarked from a week and a half ago, was the worst I've ever had in terms of ship movement, and the worst I've ever had for mal de debarquement. We were impacted by Alberto. I felt fine on debarkation day as long as I was active. We went to Kennedy Space Center that day and I didn't feel the swaying at all. Until that evening when we sat down for dinner. The longer we sat at dinner, the worse I felt. I took some Bonine when we got back to the hotel and felt better. I had to continue the Bonine for several days and my balance was really off this time. On my first day back to work, 2 days after debarkation, my balance was so off I fell into my coworker's desk as I was standing there talking to her. We got a good laugh out of it, but no way was I going to try to run until my balance got a little better. So I walked around the neighborhood for the next few days until I felt steady enough to try a slow jog.

I had it for a few days after my first cruise. I miss it now because I haven’t had it on my last 3 cruises.

I've done 4 cruises and have had this on my first cruise (while pregnant, so I thought that was the cause), and my latest in March - but we had rougher seas on one of the days and we did snorkeling that day which really threw me about. This time I had the bad swaying afterwards as I had a cold, and my doc said the gunk plugging me up might be making my inner ear not be able to recuperate as well as other times. Gave me this stuff to puff up my nose to dry up the gunk, worked like a charm. But the swaying was the worst when sitting still - at a desk, in bed, or weirdly walking a long hallway - I'd be leaning sideways. Motion helps as it imitates being on the boat - even driving was helpful, thankfully I could drive!

my non medication response to the "Post Cruise - the earth is moving" is to ride Tower of Terror about every 90 minutes. Somehow the up and down motion of that ride counteracts my "swaying feeling". But like I said, it only works for me for about 90 minutes. So Ride ToT, do something else, repeat.

I do a lot of motion related sports and fly hot air balloons- never experienced any motion issues so it never even occurred to me to take any meds - knowing if things got bad I could get them on the ship. BUT I am not sure I can handle this for weeks! LOL! It has been 4 days so far. Off to the gym! Thanks all for the tips!

Hope it clears up soon. Hot air ballooning !!!! We crew.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter