Post Cruise DCL Transfer for Late Flight

LaurLaur247

Earning My Ears
If our flight isn't until 9:00 pm or so and we want to spend the day at Disney World without having a resort reservation can we still use DCL transfers? If so can they still transfer our bags to the airport? If not can anyone suggest transportation options to Disney World?

The DCL transfer to DW is only for resort guests. You would need to find other transport.

I believe onboard luggage check is only for those using DCL transfer.

If our flight isn't until 9:00 pm or so and we want to spend the day at Disney World without having a resort reservation can we still use DCL transfers? If so can they still transfer our bags to the airport? If not can anyone suggest transportation options to Disney World?
You can only use DCL transfers to the airport or to a Disney resort that you are staying at. The luggage service is only an option if you'll be on the DCL transfer bus to the airport.

We just dealt with this issue by using StarTransVIP car & luggage service. They had a car take us from the port to Animal Kingdom park, held our luggage for us while we toured AK, then took us from the park to the airport in the evening. It was pricy, but we really didn't want to deal with renting a car & driving the rental to Disney World during Christmas week.

The other option is renting a car. Your best bet to save time would be to rent a car at the airport upon arrival, park it at the port for the duration of the cruise, and then drive it to Disney World.

You can only use DCL transfers to the airport or to a Disney resort that you are staying at. The luggage service is only an option if you'll be on the DCL transfer bus to the airport.

We just dealt with this issue by using StarTransVIP car & luggage service. They had a car take us from the port to Animal Kingdom park, held our luggage for us while we toured AK, then took us from the park to the airport in the evening. It was pricy, but we really didn't want to deal with renting a car & driving the rental to Disney World during Christmas week.

The other option is renting a car. Your best bet to save time would be to rent a car at the airport upon arrival, park it at the port for the duration of the cruise, and then drive it to Disney World.

Rather than rent a car and then pay to have it parked while on the cruise I would book two one-way rentals to and from the port or take the Disney cruise transfer bus to the airport and reserve a one way rental to drive to the parks after you disembark. After your day in the parks you can just return your car to the airport and fly home.

Rather than rent a car and then pay to have it parked while on the cruise I would book two one-way rentals to and from the port or take the Disney cruise transfer bus to the airport and reserve a one way rental to drive to the parks after you disembark. After your day in the parks you can just return your car to the airport and fly home.
That's cheaper, but the rental process would eat up at least an hour of her disembarkation day (wait for the shuttle to the rental place, take the shuttle, wait in line, get the car, sign the papers, etc.), and she wants to spend that day at a Disney theme park.

If the car was already waiting for her in the parking garage, however, she'd likely be able to make rope drop at one of the Disney parks, which equates to getting a lot more touring done. Disney tickets are expensive, and there's an opportunity cost to not making the most of a day at the parks, especially if it's a group and multiple one-day tickets were purchased.

You could take the DCL transfer to the airport, that would take care of your bags if you are on a participating airline. Then you could rent a car at MCO. It wouldn't be that much since you are dropping back there, though taxes are outrageous. It is faster because some rental places have where you can literally just walk to the garage, get in a car and leave. You get a 1 day rental and can do whatever you want. It may be a bit pricey if you have a lot of people on the DCL bus, but would be more time efficient. Get on the airport bus, which leave as they fill. Then you can walk down and get a rental car. Dropping off is easy too because most rentals are at the airport. Also a lot more flexible than dealing with shuttles.

You could take the DCL transfer to the airport, that would take care of your bags if you are on a participating airline. Then you could rent a car at MCO. It wouldn't be that much since you are dropping back there, though taxes are outrageous. It is faster because some rental places have where you can literally just walk to the garage, get in a car and leave. You get a 1 day rental and can do whatever you want. It may be a bit pricey if you have a lot of people on the DCL bus, but would be more time efficient. Get on the airport bus, which leave as they fill. Then you can walk down and get a rental car. Dropping off is easy too because most rentals are at the airport. Also a lot more flexible than dealing with shuttles.

I actually did this with my mom a few years ago. We were spending the day at WDW after our cruise but I did not want to deal with luggage all day until our flight. I booked a rental in advance for about $35 and I booked us transfers from Port to MCO. Did the OAC program. Once at MCO picked up our car, drove to Disney and had a lovely day! It worked great. The extra cost was well worth the convenience with an elderly mom.

MJ

OAC program is for folks taking DCL transfers to the airport.
The onboard airline check in program is available to anyone who has booked DCL transfers to the airport, and/or used DCL to book their flights. On participating airlines.

The onboard airline check in program is available to anyone who has booked DCL transfers to the airport, and/or used DCL to book their flights. On participating airlines.
You have to take the DCL transfers to the airport, as well. You can't use the service without taking DCL's ground transportation.

You have to take the DCL transfers to the airport, as well. You can't use the service without taking DCL's ground transportation.
Granted, this is a bit dated, but on our 2014 cruise this was the information we got (bolding mine):
From Port Canaveral: (from cruise documents 8/9/2014)
The requirements are below

• You must have purchased DCL Air and/or DCL Ground Transfers
  • Your flight has to leave from Orlando International Airport after 11:30 am on the same day your cruise vacation ends. Your flight must be on a participating airline:
Alaska Airlines
American Airlines (USAirways merged)
Delta Air Lines
JetBlue Airways
United Airlines
Your final destination must be within the U.S. (including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands)

• Each luggage piece can weigh no more than fifty (50) pounds.
  • Airline specific baggage fees may apply and can vary by airline. Please check with your specific carrier for more details.
  • Applicable airline baggage fees will be posted directly to your shipboard account.
  • Some Guests may be selected to check in at the airport and may not be able to use this service.
I'll have to check our more recent cruises and see how it was worded.​

Granted, this is a bit dated, but on our 2014 cruise this was the information we got (bolding mine):
From Port Canaveral: (from cruise documents 8/9/2014)
The requirements are below

• You must have purchased DCL Air and/or DCL Ground Transfers
  • Your flight has to leave from Orlando International Airport after 11:30 am on the same day your cruise vacation ends. Your flight must be on a participating airline:
Alaska Airlines
American Airlines (USAirways merged)
Delta Air Lines
JetBlue Airways
United Airlines
Your final destination must be within the U.S. (including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands)

• Each luggage piece can weigh no more than fifty (50) pounds.
  • Airline specific baggage fees may apply and can vary by airline. Please check with your specific carrier for more details.
  • Applicable airline baggage fees will be posted directly to your shipboard account.
  • Some Guests may be selected to check in at the airport and may not be able to use this service.
I'll have to check our more recent cruises and see how it was worded.​
I just cruised a few days ago and in the cruise booklet, the first requirement listed for Onboard Airline Check-In is that you must have purchased ground transfers. That is one of the baseline requirements, and as you said, that might be different from how it was in 2014. Purchasing air via DCL isn't even mentioned now. Here is a link to the current online info:

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/onboard-services/airline-check-in/

I just cruised a few days ago and in the cruise booklet, the first requirement listed for Onboard Airline Check-In is that you must have purchased ground transfers. That is one of the baseline requirements, and as you said, that might be different from how it was in 2014. Purchasing air via DCL isn't even mentioned now. Here is a link to the current online info:

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/onboard-services/airline-check-in/
Yeah, I saw that. But the information we got onboard was different than what was online pre-cruise in that respect.

I'm trying to find a more recent DCL/MCO OAL checkin info sheet to see what it says. It'll take a while (I'm a little behind in my scrapbooking :headache:)

Yeah, I saw that. But the information we got onboard was different than what was online pre-cruise in that respect.

I'm trying to find a more recent DCL/MCO OAL checkin info sheet to see what it says. It'll take a while (I'm a little behind in my scrapbooking :headache:)

I should be getting my cruise booklet in 2 weeks....I can post what it says when I get it....though I don't know if it will mention OAC program as we are flying out of San Juan. Anyone know if OAC is available in San Juan?

MJ

I should be getting my cruise booklet in 2 weeks....I can post what it says when I get it....though I don't know if it will mention OAC program as we are flying out of San Juan. Anyone know if OAC is available in San Juan?

MJ
I believe the OAC is only in Orlando. We've gone out of several other ports and it is never mentioned. I don't think they have the logistics anywhere but Orlando.

You have to purchase the DCL ground transfer to use the service. You may get to use the service if you purchase air through Disney, but that is not required. We've done the OAC a few times and it is great. They take your bags the last night of the cruise and you don't see them until they are on the baggage claim when you get home (hopefully). So much more convenient and really adds value to the DCL transfer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter