Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

We have flights for Nov 27, BUF to MCO first flight of the day. We’d like to change it to the same flight but leaving the day before. Less than two weeks ago it was hovering around 179$, the last few days it’s been anywhere from 229 up to 330. Today it’s at 234$, anyone have experience on prices dropping again closer to departure? I know I could book it and reprice it if it does but we’d be paying in CAD and right now our dollar sucks so I’d rather only pay what I need to at this time.
Yes, SW fares can fluctuate, and they also run sales (though maybe less likely right around Thanksgiving). It's no guarantee though, so I'd book now and if prices drop you can get a credit (I know not idea for you with paying in CAD, but there's also no guarantee flight prices won't continue to go up).

Yes, SW fares can fluctuate, and they also run sales (though maybe less likely right around Thanksgiving). It's no guarantee though, so I'd book now and if prices drop you can get a credit (I know not idea for you with paying in CAD, but there's also no guarantee flight prices won't continue to go up).
Ya, the prices have been all over the place! No pattern at all to them. And yes, I am worried they’ll go up even more and not come down. Do I gamble or go for the sure thing…🤪

I think if you 'change' the flight, it's technically a cancel and rebooking (SW just does all that behind the scenes). So you do lose your EBCI spot.

I could be wrong on the technicalities of that, but thinking back anecdotally there were times when I booked a flight early on, then 'changed' it closer to the date to get a credit, and got a really crappy EBCI number. No way to know for sure if I lost my spot, of course, but I fly enough to recognize patterns of getting worse boarding positions when I try to change my flight to get a credit.
It is a WGA+ fare which puts us ahead of the WGA standard fares; so hopefully that will be enough.

Brain is not functioning well right. How do I rebook at a lower rate but not lose my place in line for EBCI?

Edit: figure out how to "change" the filght and got back $35pp. Let's hope it doesn't change our place for EBCI.

A poster did a test a few months ago…. Two people traveling & the price dropped close to the flight. She repriced 1, did not reprice the other. They still had consecutive numbers, just as they normally would have.

I think if you change due to a price drop, you’re fine & keep your spot. If you change to a different flight, that’s when you’ll lose your place in line. You’ll still have EBCI, just in line behind others on that flight who bought it before you moved. Which I think is fair. I would hate to buy EBCI months out, then have a price drop a few days before the flight that leads to several people moving to my flight with earlier dates & push me far down the check in list.

Last edited:

Ya, the prices have been all over the place! No pattern at all to them. And yes, I am worried they’ll go up even more and not come down. Do I gamble or go for the sure thing…🤪
I constantly watch for prices to go down and they pretty much never go down within a few weeks of the date of the flight. In fact, the two weeks prior tend to be gigantic price jumps. I would not count on flight costs dropping anywhere near Thanksgiving. But if they do, you can always take advantage of it. :)

A poster did a test a few months ago…. Two people traveling & the price dropped close to the flight. She repriced 1, did not reprice the other. They still had consecutive numbers, just as they normally would have.

I think if you change due to a price drop, you’re fine & keep your spot. If you change to a different flight, that’s when you’ll lose your place in line. You’ll still have EBCI, just in line behind others on that flight who bought it before you moved. Which I think is fair. I would hate to buy EBCI months out, then have a price drop a few days before the flight that leads to several people moving to my flight with earlier dates & push me far down the check in list.
This is what I was trying to remember. I'll let y'all know what boarding spots we get next week.

Last edited:
This is what I was trying to remember. I'll let y'all know what boarding spots we get next week.
I regularly make changes to get flight credits when the price drops, and it doesn't affect our EBCI spot. The reason I am pretty sure of this is that I have had several instances where I changed my flight first and then my daughter, who is on a separate reservation, changes her flight days later. We always still end up with consecutive numbers. However, when we have actually changed to a different flight, and we have separate reservations, we have occasionally then NOT had consecutive numbers, which seems to be an indication that our spots changed.

Yep, my mid December flight back just went down 55 dollars. Glad to have some credit. Flight down has not changed in price since I booked.

Still salty that the 2 hour direct flights are only on weekends. And no, I really don’t want to even just spend more than double that time doing a one or even two stop. Sigh.

Just want to answer a question that has been asked about the wanna get away fares and the early bird check in. I purchased my tickets a few months ago when Southwest had their 50% 0ff sale and purchased the Wanna Get Away tickets and the EBC. Our flight is sold out and I just checked in and received Boarding #A36. Its a one stop flight and my second # is A55. Flying to MCO, so at least in this case no need to buy up to the WGA+.

I assumed the same thing and was surprised when I randomly tried it. I’m glad I did because I don’t want assume it is available if I ever am thinking about purchasing.
Yes we generally upgrade when leaving MCO as those are always full flights as opposed to the ones on the way down.

We fly Southwest once a year sometimes twice. This year we are flying it 3x. DH and I have RR but our adult kids do not. We are flying DEN to MCO mid January, 5 of us on same reservation and I just went to purchase EBCI and it says I can only purchase for the 3 kids , not DH or I. This has never happened before. My DH is A list status for some reason, until 12/15/23. We actually canceled the credit card recently because we do not use it. Can you tell I really do not know much about RR even though we have it? Lol
Has this happened to anyone before? When I buy for the 3 kids will we all be together, even though DH and I don't pay? Also, if he has A list how come it's not working for all of us on the reservation?
This is a WGA fare.

Last edited:
We fly Southwest once a year sometimes twice. This year we are flying it 3x. DH and I have RR but our adult kids do not. We are flying DEN to MCO mid January, 5 of us on same reservation and I just went to purchase EBCI and it says I can only purchase for the 3 kids , not DH or I. This has never happened before. My DH is A list status for some reason, until 12/15/23. We actually canceled the credit card recently because we do not use it. Can you tell I really do not know much about RR even though we have it? Lol
Has this happened to anyone before? When I buy for the 3 kids will we all be together, even though DH and I don't pay? Also, if he has A list how come it's not working for all of us on the reservation?
This is a WGA fare.
If you fly once a year with southwest I’m not sure why the kids don’t have RR accounts especially since the points don’t expire.

Was everyone booked on the same reservation? If someone has a-list the other people on the same reservation should be given the spots right behind.

Idk, I was lax with signing the kids up.
We are all on the same reservation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter