Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

Yes travel funds (which is what is created when canceling a flight) can be used to pay taxes and fees. There are other credits such as vouchers that can’t be used for taxes and fees. Currently when canceling a flight booked with points we’re given the choice of receiving a refund or a travel fund, but it looks like the refund option is going away. Easy to use the travel fund on the next booking though.
Will the travel fund be for the person who's name is on the ticket only? Like if I book 6 tickets for my family with my points and I need to cancel, would I get the travel fund to my account, or would they create 6 travel funds for each person?

Looks like there was another $5 increase to the base fares from BWI to MCO. Anyone else seeing price increases from their home airports? Seems like the last time Southwest was approaching the release of new schedules they raised prices too.
I'm not happy about that. BWI is the airport we use the most to go to MCO.

It looks like the base far jumped from $174 to $179?

Looks like there was another $5 increase to the base fares from BWI to MCO. Anyone else seeing price increases from their home airports? Seems like the last time Southwest was approaching the release of new schedules they raised prices too.
I honestly couldn't tell you for KCI because the way the new terminal (which is essentially a new airport) was/is being financed is through passenger's paying via their tickets so we knew those would go up but I'm not sure just how they have done it. Like I don't know if they'd do a base fare increase on all tickets or a dynamic increase, etc based on airline, route, season, holiday, etc. SWA is the main airline though at our airport. Paying for the KCI airport is estimated to be 35 years.

Will the travel fund be for the person who's name is on the ticket only? Like if I book 6 tickets for my family with my points and I need to cancel, would I get the travel fund to my account, or would they create 6 travel funds for each person?
Yes, any travel fund would be tied to the traveler. If booked above WGA, they would be transferable.

Is there any benefit to booking flights each way instead of round trip? Does it make rebooking for a point credit easier if the price decreases? Thanks!

Is there any benefit to booking flights each way instead of round trip? Does it make rebooking for a point credit easier if the price decreases? Thanks!
I can't think of any off the top. If you want to rebook for credit, the screen will ask if you just want to change one leg or both.

I feel like the primary reason people end up with different out and return is because they only had enough points for one direction in one RR account (I have some dates right now because Hubby had enough points for one way and I did for the other), the fares released to different times, or some other reason that forces different bookings. Otherwise, round trip doesn't have any specific draw backs that I can think of.

I'd love to hear if anyone has something I'm missing. I am booking on the next fare drop and would split the reservations if there's a benefit to doing so that I'm missing out on.

We book each way separately because it is easier to apply the travel credits to the individual flights - or at least it seems to be. We usually have multiple travel credits to use since I watch for price drops and can only use three forms of payment per purchase. I still have three upcoming flights that I need to purchase and have five different travel credits to apply to them.

I'm not happy about that. BWI is the airport we use the most to go to MCO.

It looks like the base far jumped from $174 to $179?
Yes, that's what I see. I'm hoping the JetBlue purchase of Spirit will enable more competition at BWI. Seems Southwest has been raising fares significantly without significant completion to Orlando. I avoid Spirit, but would fly JetBlue.

When I use my points to book travel for my husband, and there is a changes in point value the points go back into my account. I also book one way flights. Usually I have some flights on points, the others cash.

I can't think of any off the top. If you want to rebook for credit, the screen will ask if you just want to change one leg or both.

I feel like the primary reason people end up with different out and return is because they only had enough points for one direction in one RR account (I have some dates right now because Hubby had enough points for one way and I did for the other), the fares released to different times, or some other reason that forces different bookings. Otherwise, round trip doesn't have any specific draw backs that I can think of.

I'd love to hear if anyone has something I'm missing. I am booking on the next fare drop and would split the reservations if there's a benefit to doing so that I'm missing out on.

I’ve had the first leg of our trip cancelled during the winter due to weather. I didn’t want to reschedule & booked a Jetblue flight that went off just fine on the same day SW was cancelling us. I had to call to make sure my one way was refunded, not given as flight credit & the return was left alone. If it would have been only that flight, I feel it would have been refunded & I wouldn’t have to worry about the return flight being effected.

Am I the only one who gets the error "it's too early to check in for your flight" when checking in at the 24 hour mark? The second check-in attempt always works but winds up being 15-20 seconds past the 24 hour mark. Does anyone wait a few seconds after the 24 hour mark to check-in?

I alway
Am I the only one who gets the error "it's too early to check in for your flight" when checking in at the 24 hour mark? The second check-in attempt always works but winds up being 15-20 seconds past the 24 hour mark. Does anyone wait a few seconds after the 24 hour mark to check-in?
i always count to 7 after the clock switches to 24-hrs prior to check in. I’ve always been a lower A.

I alway

i always count to 7 after the clock switches to 24-hrs prior to check in. I’ve always been a lower A.
How is that possible? I always buy Early Bird and at least 50% of the time I'm a B. Early Bird gets checked in at 36 hours prior.

DH and I just traveled MEM to MCO. We left Tues. 5/2, originally purchased WGA (with EBCI) on ticket release day, then on 3/13, we changed from a flight with a layover to the nonstop plus changed our tickets to Anytime and ended up with A21 & A23.

We came home yesterday 5/7, still had the original WGA (with EBCI) flight I booked on release day, and we had A46 & A47. I had been keeping an eye on this flight's availability knowing that I wanted to use my SWA Biz Card credits to upgrade to A1-A15 if we didn't get a good boarding position, anything past A30 isn't great to me. So I set my alarm and at the 24 hour mark, I saw our boarding position and immediately did the upgrade to A12 & A13.

I've been seeing a lot of posts about getting WGA w/EBCI and being in the low B's, but that wasn't the case for me. I wasn't happy being in the low A's, which was why I upgraded. We have flown SWA exclusively for the last 10 years and we have never had a B. We always stuck with WGA +EBCI, until recently when I started doing Anytime more often.

How is that possible? I always buy Early Bird and at least 50% of the time I'm a B. Early Bird gets checked in at 36 hours prior.
Lucky, I guess? A30ish is the highest I can remember. Maybe my route is lesser traveled.¯\_(ツ)_/¯ My husband always purchases EB when we travel together, and I always tell him don’t get it for me because I’m going to do it myself. I’ve been A while he’s been B. I never really made the correlation that he, technically, checked in before I did.

Lucky, I guess? A30ish is the highest I can remember. Maybe my route is lesser traveled.¯\_(ツ)_/¯ My husband always purchases EB when we travel together, and I always tell him don’t get it for me because I’m going to do it myself. I’ve been A while he’s been B. I never really made the correlation that he, technically, checked in before I did.
Are you A-list or purchasing Anytime fares these days?

Are you A-list or purchasing Anytime fares these days?
If I’m traveling with my husband and he’s paying it’s likely Wanna Get Away or even basic because he refuses to pay for Anytime or Business Select - even though he’s being reimbursed for business travel 🙄. I was A-List year before last, but I haven’t been since then. When I have the points (few and far between), I do Business Select so I don’t have to rush the check in - but I’m not counting those in my A boarding group coups because those are automatic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter