Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

Just to remove the stress leading up to taking the last flight of the day and not having a plan B if that flight is canceled, I had Southwest switch my flight to KC to Denver to Seattle, leaving at 11:40 AM and arriving at Seattle at 5:20 PM. Hopefully, my bags make it at the same time but if they don’t, I’ll have about 6 hours that night at the airport to check on their whereabouts.

Is there a way on Southwest.com to change your payment information (i.e., from a credit card to a LUV voucher) for an already booked flight?

All this frustration with boarding groups makes me wonder if the less expensive price on SW over United out of Houston is really worth it.
That's something only you can decide. It's worth it to me, but I am an adult traveling without small children. I always check in at 24 hrs and usually have a B seat and there are plenty of empty rows when I board. Now if your flight is one which already has passengers on it from an earlier leg, could be tougher. I book the first flight of the day out of my airport, so it is empty.
Is there a way on Southwest.com to change your payment information (i.e., from a credit card to a LUV voucher) for an already booked flight?
You have already paid, your credit card has been charged. You could cancel and rebook, but unless you booked a refundable fare you will just get a credit for future use so not much different from your LUV voucher. There may be a refund if cancelling within 24 hours of booking? Not sure.

WWYD....I keep hoping that we'll get a change banner for our flight from DAL to MCO for our Friday, 12/9 flight. We only book nonstop because I hate take-offs with all my heart and soul, lol. We are currently booked from 3:35 pm - 7:05 pm, but we bought tix to the MVMCP that night and the party tix were too expensive to only make it to half of the party. There is a nonstop that lands several hours earlier which would be perfect! But it is almost twice the number of points and we don't have enough points to cover the difference...the flight we booked was like 13K points and the one we want is roughly 25K points. We booked Wanna Getaway fares. Should I bite the bullet and buy some points to cover the additional points for four people, or just keep compulsively checking my SW app every few hours hoping that maybe our flight will be changed by a few minutes? Our flight home got changed by 15 minutes and has the change banner...oh how, I wish it were the flight there instead.

My husband used his RR points to book himself and our son. I used my RR to book my flight. And DD (25) used her RR account to buy her flight if that makes any difference. I have like 10K points. DD has like 3K points. And I think DH has like 14K points. So none of us have enough points to cover changing our flights.

WWYD....I keep hoping that we'll get a change banner for our flight from DAL to MCO for our Friday, 12/9 flight. We only book nonstop because I hate take-offs with all my heart and soul, lol. We are currently booked from 3:35 pm - 7:05 pm, but we bought tix to the MVMCP that night and the party tix were too expensive to only make it to half of the party. There is a nonstop that lands several hours earlier which would be perfect! But it is almost twice the number of points and we don't have enough points to cover the difference...the flight we booked was like 13K points and the one we want is roughly 25K points. We booked Wanna Getaway fares. Should I bite the bullet and buy some points to cover the additional points for four people, or just keep compulsively checking my SW app every few hours hoping that maybe our flight will be changed by a few minutes? Our flight home got changed by 15 minutes and has the change banner...oh how, I wish it were the flight there instead.

My husband used his RR points to book himself and our son. I used my RR to book my flight. And DD (25) used her RR account to buy her flight if that makes any difference. I have like 10K points. DD has like 3K points. And I think DH has like 14K points. So none of us have enough points to cover changing our flights.
IMO I would change my flight to any earlier time. Christmas party tickets are too expensive! It’s risky that you will even get to the party by 8:30, depending on transportation. There are so many moving parts that out of your control.

My family recently experienced a 3 hour delay on SWA when we were trying to get to a DVC moonlight magic party at AK. Our flight was originally going to land at 6 and it didn’t take off until then due to weather and a ground stoppage in MCO. We didn’t land until closer to 8:30 and arrived finally at the park at 9;30 after getting our rental car. We missed 1/2 of the party, but we made the best of it.

You can consider buying points, transferring points for a fee, or even consolidate points and book for one person off of another person’s account.

Good luck and I hope you can get to the party!

IMO I would change my flight to any earlier time. Christmas party tickets are too expensive! It’s risky that you will even get to the party by 8:30, depending on transportation. There are so many moving parts that out of your control.

My family recently experienced a 3 hour delay on SWA when we were trying to get to a DVC moonlight magic party at AK. Our flight was originally going to land at 6 and it didn’t take off until then due to weather and a ground stoppage in MCO. We didn’t land until closer to 8:30 and arrived finally at the park at 9;30 after getting our rental car. We missed 1/2 of the party, but we made the best of it.

You can consider buying points, transferring points for a fee, or even consolidate points and book for one person off of another person’s account.

Thanks for the suggestions about the points. We definitely don’t want to miss out on half of the party. That sucks about y‘all missing half of the Moonlight Magic party since those things are like gold. I agree that there are so many pieces that could go wrong.

Are the flight prices currently available for booking in early March 2023 a good representation of the likely prices of the flights being released on Sept 8th for the remaining days in March 2023 not yet available for booking?

@maui2k5 I think it's really hard to say, but in my market, flying from IND, prices on the past 2 release days have been pretty steady at $163 per one-way NS. That's what prices are now for early March. Sometimes less desirable times go down in price after a few days or weeks. Some weekdays in Feb have evening flights that dropped to $126. I like to look at the Low Fare Calendar to get an idea what prices are running coming up to a release date.

I would go the day before, or first flight out in the morning. No way am I planning anything I really care about doing or that is really expensive on arrival or departure day with airline travel the way it is right now. I've got the first flight out for my October trip the day before I actually need to be there for anything.

I would go the day before, or first flight out in the morning. No way am I planning anything I really care about doing or that is really expensive on arrival or departure day with airline travel the way it is right now. I've got the first flight out for my October trip the day before I actually need to be there for anything.
I ended up taking the advice of both of you. I really started worrying about missing half of the party on Friday night, but I just couldn’t see getting up at 3 AM for a 6 AM flight on Friday morning either since the thought made me feel physically ill, so we decided to book the 9:30 flight the night before. We will land at 12:50 AM on Friday morning and we decided to book the night at the hotel at the airport. It will be so nice since we will have the full day ahead of us. We will check out of the hotel mid-morning on Friday and head to Disney Springs for Everglazed and maybe check out some of the Christmas decorations at a couple of resorts. Hopefully our room at VGF will be ready sometime that afternoon, but if not, we will just leave our carry-on bags with bell services and head to MK using our party tickets at 4 pm. Thanks for the advice!

For the first time ever -- I modified 2 flights home from MCO and got about 1500 pts back per seat. That's never happened before!

We're doing a Delta flight down and SW back in Nov because no single airline had decent direct flight times both ways. I know early early flights can stink, but I still wish we could get a flight that put us in the parks in the morning. Our greatest accomplishment was taking a SW flight that was supposed to land around 7am but landed at 6:30am. We were able to get luggage, get rental car, and be in HS 3 minutes before having to grab a Boarding Pass for Rise at 8am! LOL. Each subsequent trip, the SW direct flights get later and later.

I’m wondering if anyone knows the answer to this. Sorry, I’m going to be long winded …. Here’s a little backstory…Heading from JAN (Jackson, MS) to MCO in 3 weeks. It’ll be me, my husband, 16 yo, 18 yo and 2 yo grandbaby. We first purchased a 1:10 pm flight with a 3 hour ATL layover and then lands at MCO at 8:05 pm. Well the more I thought about it, I decided we needed to take an earlier flight so I just switched us to a 7:30 am with a 40 min ATL layover that lands at MCO at 11:55 am. Here’s my dilemma.. now I think I must be crazy for changing it because that 40 min layover has me worried because we’ve never flown or stepped foot in ATL before so I’m not sure how the layout is or how far apart the SWA terminals are, plus we will have a 2 year old. We did buy EBCI when we originally booked in July, but obviously we are not sure of what our position will be yet. And seeing how if we aren’t really close to the front of the plane, it could take forever to get off it having to wait on all the people in front of us to get off. So basically IF the flight is actually on time and there are no delays (which I’m not very hopeful about) on the first part, we have about 10 minutes to get in line for the second part of the flight if we are in the A boarding group since it boards 30 min early. Is there anyone that has experience with this short of a layover lately or thinks this is doable as is or is it too risky? If I were more confident that the plane wouldn’t leave us stranded in ATL if we did have any kind of delay, i wouldn’t worry about a thing, but unfortunately last year we almost got left at MDW on the very last flight out that night due to our first flight being delayed, but not the second flight. We were running as fast as we could, my daughter was crying, and they were about to shut the door on us when we came through screaming like crazy people at the attendant to let us on - we barely made it. We do not want to ever go through that again if we can help it. My poor daughter was traumatized and then she had to sit by herself with strangers, which freaked her out. I wish they’d bring back daily direct flights again! 😔 I don’t think JAN is a big airport or would be crowded on flights, but we’ve never flown from there before either so who knows.
Now, I’m also contemplating upgrading to business select tickets so we are guaranteed A1-A15 boarding so we know we will be able to sit close to the front and get off quickly, but that comes at a $600 cost for the 5 of us, assuming we also have to buy it for the 2 year old to board with us? What I mean is, if the 4 adults have business select, but not the 2 year old, would he be able to board with all of us or would someone have to stay back in the line to wherever his boarding position is? We are so new to flying with an infant, we don’t know all the rules. Is it worth that and if we did upgrade, would we be able to be refunded for the EBCI that we already purchased since we would no longer need it ? I know you can upgrade to A1-A15 at the gate for less money, if available, but that’s not a guarantee either until you are there. Is there a way to know how full the flight actually is besides just watching the prices ? I’d hate to wait too long to upgrade to business select and the prices be even higher than now. It’s all such a gamble and I’m just not a gambler!

I appreciate any words of wisdom and advice on what would be our best option.

Last edited:
if you could possibly switch your departure day to a Saturday they have a Non Stop for $80 . . . JAN - MCO . 9:45am - 12:30pm

if you could possibly switch your departure day to a Saturday they have a Non Stop for $80 . . . JAN - MCO . 9:45am - 12:30pm
Right ! I sure wish we could, but we have limited time off on this trip. We just took a sat-sat trip at the end of April so our bosses are already not happy we are going back so soon. At both our jobs, there’s no one to cover for us when we are gone so it potentially puts them in a bind, but I don’t get bothered too much about it because family time is important to us and we always work ahead as much as possible when we will be out. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I’m wondering if anyone knows the answer to this. Sorry, I’m going to be long winded …. Here’s a little backstory…Heading from JAN (Jackson, MS) to MCO in 3 weeks. It’ll be me, my husband, 16 yo, 18 yo and 2 yo grandbaby. We first purchased a 1:10 pm flight with a 3 hour ATL layover and then lands at MCO at 8:05 pm. Well the more I thought about it, I decided we needed to take an earlier flight so I just switched us to a 7:30 am with a 40 min ATL layover that lands at MCO at 11:55 am. Here’s my dilemma.. now I think I must be crazy for changing it because that 40 min layover has me worried because we’ve never flown or stepped foot in ATL before so I’m not sure how the layout is or how far apart the SWA terminals are, plus we will have a 2 year old. We did buy EBCI when we originally booked in July, but obviously we are not sure of what our position will be yet. And seeing how if we aren’t really close to the front of the plane, it could take forever to get off it having to wait on all the people in front of us to get off. So basically IF the flight is actually on time and there are no delays (which I’m not very hopeful about) on the first part, we have about 10 minutes to get in line for the second part of the flight if we are in the A boarding group since it boards 30 min early. Is there anyone that has experience with this short of a layover lately or thinks this is doable as is or is it too risky? If I were more confident that the plane wouldn’t leave us stranded in ATL if we did have any kind of delay, i wouldn’t worry about a thing, but unfortunately last year we almost got left at MDW on the very last flight out that night due to our first flight being delayed, but not the second flight. We were running as fast as we could, my daughter was crying, and they were about to shut the door on us when we came through screaming like crazy people at the attendant to let us on - we barely made it. We do not want to ever go through that again if we can help it. My poor daughter was traumatized and then she had to sit by herself with strangers, which freaked her out. I wish they’d bring back daily direct flights again! 😔 I don’t think JAN is a big airport or would be crowded on flights, but we’ve never flown from there before either so who knows.
Now, I’m also contemplating upgrading to business select tickets so we are guaranteed A1-A15 boarding so we know we will be able to sit close to the front and get off quickly, but that comes at a $600 cost for the 5 of us, assuming we also have to buy it for the 2 year old to board with us? What I mean is, if the 4 adults have business select, but not the 2 year old, would he be able to board with all of us or would someone have to stay back in the line to wherever his boarding position is? We are so new to flying with an infant, we don’t know all the rules. Is it worth that and if we did upgrade, would we be able to be refunded for the EBCI that we already purchased since we would no longer need it ? I know you can upgrade to A1-A15 at the gate for less money, if available, but that’s not a guarantee either until you are there. Is there a way to know how full the flight actually is besides just watching the prices ? I’d hate to wait too long to upgrade to business select and the prices be even higher than now. It’s all such a gamble and I’m just not a gambler!

I appreciate any words of wisdom and advice on what would be our best option.
I wouldn't worry about making your flight, you'll be fine with that. Short flights are padded beyond belief, more than likely you'll be early on a morning flight. Try and book your JAN-ATL flight with 8 people and see if BS is still available, if it is there are plenty of seats left. I've made it on 40 minutes connections with plenty of time at MSP and ORD, as long as the baby is ready when it's time to get off you'll make it fine. SW gates aren't that far apart at ATL, they just don't take up too many gates. Remember two adults can board with the two year old after the A group.

I wouldn't worry about making your flight, you'll be fine with that. Short flights are padded beyond belief, more than likely you'll be early on a morning flight. Try and book your JAN-ATL flight with 8 people and see if BS is still available, if it is there are plenty of seats left. I've made it on 40 minutes connections with plenty of time at MSP and ORD, as long as the baby is ready when it's time to get off you'll make it fine. SW gates aren't that far apart at ATL, they just don't take up too many gates. Remember two adults can board with the two year old after the A group.
I agree - and good point about family boarding for part of the group.

@disneylover81 IIRC (and this is about 4 years ago so could have changed) but I believe all SW flights are in one gate area? We had a 2 hr+ layover and it took us about 3 minutes to reach our gate to connect. I remember being worried since Atlanta is huge so took a longer connection, but with SW it wasn't a problem at all.

We will be flying out of Houston (either George Bush or Hobby) on our Spring Break 2023 UNI/WDW trip. My question is about SW reliability. Out of George Bush (much more convenient airport for us) SW has one non-stop daily flight out and non-stop two daily flights back from Orlando.

My question is how concerned about cancellation should I be with SW as an airline? Being there is only 1 non-stop flight out of IAH and 5 non-stop flights out of Hobby daily, I am thinking more about Hobby. Another plus for IAH in addition to the location convince factor, is the flight time compared to Hobby. IAH may have only one n on-stop flight out per day to Orlando, but the time is perfect for us.

We usually fly United to MCO, but the prices are crazy expensive ($700-800 each).

We have not flown on SW in 15 years so any advice is appreciated.

Thank you for the info. I checked and there are still 8 BS available. We will have the baby ready to go as soon as that plane lands!

I agree - and good point about family boarding for part of the group.

@disneylover81 IIRC (and this is about 4 years ago so could have changed) but I believe all SW flights are in one gate area? We had a 2 hr+ layover and it took us about 3 minutes to reach our gate to connect. I remember being worried since Atlanta is huge so took a longer connection, but with SW it wasn't a problem at all.
That's a relief and I am glad to know that the gates are close to each other. We have only ever flown Southwest and have never had an issue, except that one time last year at MDW, but since then I worry about connecting flights with shorter layovers. I guess in reality if we are in a super bad time crunch, as long as one of us can run ahead and make it to the connecting gate, they will wait for the rest of us before they close the door.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter