Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

Received an email that my February PVD-MCO flight changed from 7:50 am to the dreaded 5:25 am. Just can't do early morning flights anymore unless absolutely necessary!! So easily switched to a 12:35 pm flight. Of course after I made the switched I realized I should have checked the times for the day before. Oh well!

When you get that email of doom saying Good news, your flight was canceled, but we booked you on a 2 am flight with 4 stops and 12 hour layovers. Or you can pick another flight. Do you have to pick a flight in your same purchase level. So if I spent $300 at the cheapest level, but the one pm flight only has the top two tiers open at a cost of $600. Can you switch to that?

When you get that email of doom saying Good news, your flight was canceled, but we booked you on a 2 am flight with 4 stops and 12 hour layovers. Or you can pick another flight. Do you have to pick a flight in your same purchase level. So if I spent $300 at the cheapest level, but the one pm flight only has the top two tiers open at a cost of $600. Can you switch to that?
You can book at any price level- any flight that has open seats will be available for you to switch too

We (me, wife, girls 12/14 at the time of travel) will be flying to Orlando from Houston in March and tickets for Southwest open up on Sept 8th for our dates. We have not flown Southwest in over 10 years so I’m not too familiar with how things work today (usually fly United).

We do not want to be separated on the plane and want to be seated together. My question is how likely is it with the Anytime fare that we will still fall into a lower boarding group? Wondering if Business Select is worth the extra cost to guarantee A1-A-15 vs automatic early bird check in 36 hours prior on Anytime.

Thoughts?

We (me, wife, girls 12/14 at the time of travel) will be flying to Orlando from Houston in March and tickets for Southwest open up on Sept 8th for our dates. We have not flown Southwest in over 10 years so I’m not too familiar with how things work today (usually fly United).

We do not want to be separated on the plane and want to be seated together. My question is how likely is it with the Anytime fare that we will still fall into a lower boarding group? Wondering if Business Select is worth the extra cost to guarantee A1-A-15 vs automatic early bird check in 36 hours prior on Anytime.

Thoughts?
I personally would go with the cheaper fare [Wanna Get Away] and purchase EBCI. In most cases, the cost for EBCI plus Wanna Get Away is less than the price you would pay in the other fare categories. I would also purchase EBCI the day your flights come out when you purchase those tickets.

Thoughts?
The Early Bird also "holds your place" in line, as far as when you buy your tickets. So, if you are one of the first ones to buy Early Bird for the flight, then you will be one of the first ones to checked in to the flight.

The only "issue" is if the tickets fall in price, and you re-book at the lower price, you still keep the Early Bird, but I THINK you "lose your place in line" as far as who on the flight has already purchased Early Bird, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

The Early Bird also "holds your place" in line, as far as when you buy your tickets. So, if you are one of the first ones to buy Early Bird for the flight, then you will be one of the first ones to checked in to the flight.

The only "issue" is if the tickets fall in price, and you re-book at the lower price, you still keep the Early Bird, but I THINK you "lose your place in line" as far as who on the flight has already purchased Early Bird, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
I really hope this is incorrect as I’ve edited my flight twice now to get the credits for lower fares. I originally purchased 7:45am right when the flight opened so I’d be screwed apparently. That would be a load of you know what if that’s the case and I’ll probably write to Southwest to tell them that as well.

I really hope this is incorrect as I’ve edited my flight twice now to get the credits for lower fares. I originally purchased 7:45am right when the flight opened so I’d be screwed apparently. That would be a load of you know what if that’s the case and I’ll probably write to Southwest to tell them that as well.
I think this used to be the case, but I just emailed them to find out.

I’m pretty sure your “EB place in line changes if you change your flight”...the EB carries over to new flight but you would be placed behind those who have already booked the new flight and have purchased EB.

I think this used to be the case, but I just emailed them to find out.
think of changing flights with EBCI how would you like it if you had bought tickets with EBCI on the second flight and they were putting people who change their flight after you bought to ahead of you?

think of changing flights with EBCI how would you like it if you had bought tickets with EBCI on the second flight and they were putting people who change their flight after you bought to ahead of you?
Right, I think that's why it does boot you to the back of the line; however, you aren't really changing a flight as it's still the same flight number, same confirmation, same everything, just cheaper. I'm guessing they treat it as though you are changing a flight.

I’m pretty sure your “EB place in line changes if you change your flight”...the EB carries over to new flight but you would be placed behind those who have already booked the new flight and have purchased EB.
EBCI is tied to your reservation number. If you simply change your reservation for price benefits then there should be no impact to your position.
If you change your reservation to a different flight #, departure city, etc. then you'll be reassigned based on the date/time stamp of that change and fall behind those who already have been assigned EBCI for that flight. That's how I understand it, but full disclosure I'm sure there's an algorithm that's a little more complex than my simple thinking!

I’m not even changing the flight though. It’s literally the same flight that I’ve already booked BEFORE all those people. I’m just editing to get some money back. So why should those people who really did technically buy EBCI after I did get pushed ahead? That’s a bit ridiculous. I will probably just call southwest to see if they have an answer. But I’m sure it will be one of those obscure things that no one actually knows the answer to.
EBCI is tied to your reservation number. If you simply change your reservation for price benefits then there should be no impact to your position.
If you change your reservation to a different flight #, departure city, etc. then you'll be reassigned based on the date/time stamp of that change and fall behind those who already have been assigned EBCI for that flight. That's how I understand it, but full disclosure I'm sure there's an algorithm that's a little more complex than my simple thinking!
So this is my situation. I didn’t change the flight. Didn’t cancel. Didn’t get a whole new booking with a new reservation. I literally kept the same flight details and everything but I just figured I would get some flight credits. Never thought it would change my place in EBCI and they should probably make that very clearly written out somewhere. If it does change it, I want my money back for EBCI. I bought it the day they released the flights for a reason.

I’m not even changing the flight though. It’s literally the same flight that I’ve already booked BEFORE all those people. I’m just editing to get some money back. So why should those people who really did technically buy EBCI after I did get pushed ahead? That’s a bit ridiculous. I will probably just call southwest to see if they have an answer. But I’m sure it will be one of those obscure things that no one actually knows the answer to.

So this is my situation. I didn’t change the flight. Didn’t cancel. Didn’t get a whole new booking with a new reservation. I literally kept the same flight details and everything but I just figured I would get some flight credits. Never thought it would change my place in EBCI and they should probably make that very clearly written out somewhere. If it does change it, I want my money back for EBCI. I bought it the day they released the flights for a reason.
I agree with you, but as you mentioned there's no where that it is written. I have done this a lot and there are so many variables that go in to the "final decision". The best one I ever had was when I payed for EBCI and the rest of the flight to MCO to BDL were local high school bands going to Disney. We got A16 & 17. I was like wow the night before! The rest of the troops followed us in and they were a great bunch of young adults!

I agree with you, but as you mentioned there's no where that it is written. I have done this a lot and there are so many variables that go in to the "final decision". The best one I ever had was when I payed for EBCI and the rest of the flight to MCO to BDL were local high school bands going to Disney. We got A16 & 17. I was like wow the night before! The rest of the troops followed us in and they were a great bunch of young adults!
Hey I fly in and out of BDL too! Lol
I have always had pretty good positions with it but I know flying anywhere right now can be hectic and Florida in particular seems to always have packed flights.
I guess I’m just worked up about it because I don’t like flying as it is so I am very particular about where I sit 😅

I did just go look at a few things online including the Southwest community forum and most everyone agrees that as long as you are not changing the actual flight it shouldn’t affect you. If you are just editing to get money back you should be in the clear. I did send an email to Southwest CS just in case though because as previously hinted at, I am a head case.

Does anyone know how the checkin for bags at MCO is these days? Last time I flew out of MCO was early March and it was AWFUL. The line to check bags was over an hour both inside and outside. I'm hoping it's better now!

Regarding EBCI, we flew from BWI to/from Denver earlier this summer. I purchased our tickets and EBCI pretty soon after they were released. A few weeks after I purchased, our flights were canceled and we were rebooked on new ones. Our confirmation number did not changed, but I think we were bumped back farther in the boarding numbers because we got B 18-21 on our way to Denver and even higher B’s on our way from Denver. I was shocked because in all our years of flying SW and purchasing EBCI, we never had a boarding group of B. On the way to Denver, my sons and I got the last row of three in row 21 and my DH sat across from us, so no problems there, but flying home, there were no rows of three left when we boarded. We were in the back again, and my one son and I were going to sit together and my other son and DH were going to sit together a few rows ahead of us, but the guy who was sitting in the row my son and I were going to sit in kindly offered to move up a few rows and he sat with my DH so my sons and I could be in the same row. That was so nice of him!

Choosing seats on SW never bothered me before, but it did add a little stress this time. As long as we can sit two and two, we are fine, although my boys would rather sit together with either myself or DH; the horror of maybe having to sit with someone they don’t know, lol. Going to Denver there was a mom and her two kids that were probably early teens and they boarded shortly after us and there were only single seats available by that time. She just was not having it. Someone did finally offer their seat so she could sit with her son.

I think if you’re not in boarding group A, when family boarding happens between A and B, a lot of the remaining rows get taken. In a way, I think it’s nice that SW offers family boarding, but I guess I also don’t understand why families just don’t buy EBCI if they want to increase their chances of sitting together. We’ve always purchased EBCI even when our sons qualified us for family boarding.

Not Orlando related, but I’m flying SWA from KC to Seattle on August 31. The last flight of the day, leaving at 8:50 and arriving at 1:10 AM. I am leaving the next morning at 10:20 AM on Singapore airlines for Singapore and then Bangkok. There are lots of flights to Seattle but, for that day only, all of the seats in the first 2 categories were sold out. If for any reason, the flight that I’m on is canceled, there would be no way to get to Seattle in time for my flight to Singapore. I talked with a SWA agent this morning and, as they moved me to that flight months ago, I am allowed one change. Would it be advisable to change it to the day before? Or, since the odds are in my favor, just keep the current reservation and take my chances?

How is the departure out of MCO these days? We will be flying back home on a Saturday
after 12 in a week or two. Is it still very busy..especially at SouthWest?

Not Orlando related, but I’m flying SWA from KC to Seattle on August 31. The last flight of the day, leaving at 8:50 and arriving at 1:10 AM. I am leaving the next morning at 10:20 AM on Singapore airlines for Singapore and then Bangkok. There are lots of flights to Seattle but, for that day only, all of the seats in the first 2 categories were sold out. If for any reason, the flight that I’m on is canceled, there would be no way to get to Seattle in time for my flight to Singapore. I talked with a SWA agent this morning and, as they moved me to that flight months ago, I am allowed one change. Would it be advisable to change it to the day before? Or, since the odds are in my favor, just keep the current reservation and take my chances?
To give a recent story from my DISer friends that flew from KC (we also live here) to Chicago and then Chicago to Paris......fly the day before just do it..do not chance anything these days with that hard of a international flight. It's hard enough with domestic travel.

Here's the story saga starting 8/3
  • Weather delay in KC (and storm heading to Chicago) on United, unfortunately they did not catch it that their flight from KC to Chicago had been canceled already (that occurred the day before and United did advise that day via e-mail storms may impact their flights).
  • They were put on a standby flight from KC to Chicago. They were not able to be on that flight, put on standby for a later flight however that flight was extremely close to their flight from Chicago to Paris (that flight was scheduled to be delayed already so they had some hope).
  • They made that later flight to Chicago, on the plane....and then sent back to the gate flight won't leave for 2 hours so still stuck in KC. They eventually left KCI and drove back home.

8/4 made it to Chicago, made it from Chicago to Paris. Unfortunately they missed Versailles.

8/12 flight from Paris to DC diverted to Boston due to mechanical issues, arrived in Boston and rebooked onto a flight from Boston to Newark to KC.

My husband also flew Delta from Seattle to KC Thursday night (8/18) last flight out was supposed to land in KC at 11:30pm but got delayed until just after 1am. Got on the plane left the gate and the plane had a sensor go off, returned to gate and luckily they were able to get it fixed. We're about 40-45mins from the airport, he got home at 3:30am Friday.

My husband flew SWA 7/20 from New Orleans back home to KC. Left the gate, returned to the gate due to critical malfunction or as the pilot described "hard broke" Maintenance called those connecting in KC deplaned, those where end flight is KC stayed on the plane, not too too long after all passengers deplaned, now looking for another plane to fly. Found another plane, left a few hours late and he arrived home.

DISer friends flying SWA from MCO to KC on 7/15 however they got delayed 1 hour, sat on the tarmac for another 2 hours and then had to return to the gate as the pilots timed out on hours. Now the flight from MCO to KC is 2hr 30mins or so to 2hrs 45mins or so, if the pilots only had 3 hours before timing out they knew they would be cutting it very close. Luckily they were able to get a flight the next morning on 7/16 from MCO to KC because we were leaving early afternoon as a group from KC to Branson to go to Silver Dollar City.

And these stories are from within 1 month's time frame.
______________________________________________________________-
I know an extremely long post but flying these days is anything but a mess and I just would not chance it. Fly the morning before if you can to allow for delay issues but even these days that is pushing it :(

And it's all airlines not just one, no one airline is necessarily better than another in all this mess. I have never had so many instances I've personally heard of where people were on the plane and either left the gate and had to return or sat connected to the jetway only to have to deplane. It used to be much more secure once you were on the plane and left the jetway for you to know your flight was likely going to go through. These days not at all the case.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter