Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

Here's a dumb question - if your flight has a 45 min layover, but it states that you don't change planes, does that mean both you and your luggage do NOT get off the plane??

is it just as "safe" like having a non-stop with regards to your luggage not making a plane transfer? I do realize that even though I wouldnt change planes that maybe the departure could still be delayed..

anyone have experience with a non-plane change flight??

Here's a dumb question - if your flight has a 45 min layover, but it states that you don't change planes, does that mean both you and your luggage do NOT get off the plane??

is it just as "safe" like having a non-stop with regards to your luggage not making a plane transfer? I do realize that even though I wouldnt change planes that maybe the departure could still be delayed..

I had one many years ago in South America. Just sat on the plane while some people got off and others got on. Then continued on our way. No issues with checked bags. But this is ages ago.

You can stay on the plane and they’ll let you move up closer to the front before the next flight starts boarding.

It's interesting as we're all different. I like when this happens as it gives me more time to save for the return flight and also opens a larger window for reusing funds should the price of the return flight drop.

I'm always excited when the cost of a flight drops but 90% of the time I can't use it as it expires before we fly again. Wish their window was 1 year from the date of the flight booked, not the date of booking. I have travel credits in both of our accounts today but couldn't use them because they expire.
I was disappointed today’s fares included my Feb/March trip because I am not certain of my dates, and had to pay cash because my 75,000 RR from my new credit card won’t hit my account for another week. The prices for the dates I did book have already increased a lot, so I hope I don’t need to change them! Prefer to book with points because much easier to take advantage of fare drops

We have had this with SW a lot and yes you just stay on the plane. The FA asked us to all stay seated until the people that needed to get off got off and they had walked through and picked up the garbage eat. Then they announced we could get up and use the rest room and switch seats if we wanted. One flight I was waiting in the line for the restroom with my daughter and the fa told us we could get off and use the restroom just as long as we got back on so that is what we did. My dd was 5 at the time and I think she could tell she really had to go :hyper:

We have had this with SW a lot and yes you just stay on the plane. The FA asked us to all stay seated until the people that needed to get off got off and they had walked through and picked up the garbage eat. Then they announced we could get up and use the rest room and switch seats if we wanted. One flight I was waiting in the line for the restroom with my daughter and the fa told us we could get off and use the restroom just as long as we got back on so that is what we did. My dd was 5 at the time and I think she could tell she really had to go :hyper:
So did you get to go right back on board or did they make you wait for them to restart the boarding process?

Looking to fly on Southwest next June (2023). Does anyone know when Southwest will release their schedule so that I can be one of the first to book a flight?

Thanks in advance!
Ryan

Looking to fly on Southwest next June (2023). Does anyone know when Southwest will release their schedule so that I can be one of the first to book a flight?

Thanks in advance!
Ryan
No one knows right now. The next release is scheduled for September 8th, 2022 and will open up the dates through April 10th, 2023. However it's always subject to change (and has done so in the past)

Sometimes a release only opens the dates an additional month or so and other times it opens it up for several months and there isn't necessarily a consistency to it. Last year's dates are different than this year's dates for example.

Just keep checking SWA's website. Where I go to check is Book a Flight and either click on Low Fare Calendar or Advanced Search you'll see this

1658685264654.png

Click on the "i" that I have the arrow for and you'll get the next release information. Again subject to change

1658685308709.png

Thanks in advance!
Ryan

Good news is this thread is very active around the time of new windows opening up, so you can stick around here and join the anticipation!

We had an issue with our evening flight being delayed more and more Monday night coming home from Disney. Because it was a 9:45 PM flight and within an hour had been pushed back at least 4 times to a 11:10PM flight I got too worried about it being cancelled and stuck at the airport so I switched the flight before we left the hotel until the next day. i paid the difference in flights but my question is how much does the flight need to be delayed before you can switch flights with no charge?

Anyone familiar with MDW (Chicago Midway)? I have two options for a flight with a layover (I don’t want a layover but there are no direct flights). I will fly PHL-MDW-SNA. There is an option that leaves PHL at 5:30 am with an almost 5 hour layover, or one that leaves at 8:45 am with a 55 minute layover. Obviously I don’t want to hang around an airport for 5 hours but am nervous the 55 minute layover will not be enough time. I will purchase EBCI either way. I’ve never flown into MDW before, so I’m completely unfamiliar. Both flights cost the same. WWYD?

Anyone familiar with MDW (Chicago Midway)? I have two options for a flight with a layover (I don’t want a layover but there are no direct flights). I will fly PHL-MDW-SNA. There is an option that leaves PHL at 5:30 am with an almost 5 hour layover, or one that leaves at 8:45 am with a 55 minute layover. Obviously I don’t want to hang around an airport for 5 hours but am nervous the 55 minute layover will not be enough time. I will purchase EBCI either way. I’ve never flown into MDW before, so I’m completely unfamiliar. Both flights cost the same. WWYD?
I have connected through MDW a few times…I recall that the gates are fairly close together, but 55 minutes would be my absolute minimum for a connection. I would NEVER do a 5 hour layover there. I am by no means a frequent traveler (I’ve been to about 3 airports🤣) but I can’t stand MDW. Hopefully, someone with more experience will chime in and we can both learn something 👍.

Keep in mind with 55 mins EBCI may not do you much good. If you are delayed a few mins getting in, you stop to use the restroom, the flight may already be boarding when you get to your second leg. If your boarding order has already been called, you can join the line BUT it is possible that they will already be at the end of C boarding. I would not expect to sit together or near each other.

New information on the Southwest web site this morning

Flight credits unexpired on or created on or after July 28, 2022 will not expire. No action is required on your part! If you have unexpired flight credits as of July 28, they will not expire and are available for you to use.

It will take us some time to update our systems with this new policy. With that in mind, you may notice an expiration date on your unexpired flight credits. Please pardon our dust while we make this change!

I'd pick the 55 minute connection time especially if the price is the same. MDW can be very busy but it's not big at all. Even if you have to go from terminal A to B the walk takes like 5-10 minutes, but it's also really likely your connecting flight will be at a nearby gate in the same terminal. 5 hours is just way too long.

Flight credits unexpired on or created on or after July 28, 2022 will not expire. No action is required on your part! If you have unexpired flight credits as of July 28, they will not expire and are available for you to use.

It will take us some time to update our systems with this new policy. With that in mind, you may notice an expiration date on your unexpired flight credits. Please pardon our dust while we make this change!

Where did you see this on the website? Want to share with a family member & don’t see it. Thanks!

edit: found it! Thanks for the heads up!

Last edited:

Wow, that is HUGE!!! I'm a point hoarder because I love the flexibility of them. This makes cash bookings so much more flexible! Love it!

Also I found this on the Southwest website which refers to the new policy: https://www.southwest.com/help/changes-and-cancellations/flight-credit

I'm a point hoarder because I love the flexibility of them. This makes cash bookings so much more flexible!
This is exactly what I just told my husband lol.

We haven't been using cash much especially with the pandemic going since points give us that flexibility but if the credits don't expire that really helps even if it's still tied to a passenger. It makes it easier too for people who do flight price reductions since they can have those amounts especially the small ones.

I was looking at flights that changed in PHL but was told that sometimes flights can be at a different terminal there. Transferring from one terminal to another takes a shuttle. My SIL told me there is no way I would make a connection with less than 2 hours particularly with a child.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter