Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

It does make sense if they need to use the 737-700 plane elsewhere. If they have to cancel one leg of your flight, they will cancel your whole itinerary. They could cancel the DSM-STL without cancelling the STL-MKE-MCO.

Then you would need to be accommodated on another route.

I guess my point is I don't see why routes with 2 stops would be targeted differently than routes with only 1 stop. Because routes with 2 stops are usually just 2, 1-stop routes put together.

I guess my point is I don't see why routes with 2 stops would be targeted differently than routes with only 1 stop. Because routes with 2 stops are usually just 2, 1-stop routes put together.

I don't know, but that's what I saw on MY route. The ones with 2 stops are "sold out." The others are not. You can check your route to see if the one you are booked on is showing "sold out" across the board. If it is, you might be in trouble. Check for next week, same route. Or the week after.

Also, sometimes it's one long route. Sometimes, the stops are just stops and not plane changes.

I don't know, but that's what I saw on MY route. The ones with 2 stops are "sold out." The others are not. You can check your route to see if the one you are booked on is showing "sold out" across the board. If it is, you might be in trouble. Check for next week, same route. Or the week after.

Also, sometimes it's one long route. Sometimes, the stops are just stops and not plane changes.

Okay. Thanks for thinking it through with me! :flower:

Now, now... don't tell me that. But in some ways, that doesn't make a lot of sense. I mean, we have 2 stops but also 2 planes. So, although OUR flight is DSM > STL > MKE > MCO, it's really two routes: DSM>STL and STL>MKE>MCO. So if they cancel that flight, the folks at MKE (Milwaukee), won't be able to have their nonstop flight to MCO.
If its any consolation, my husband's flight through Vegas today was cancelled so I rebooked it thru Milwaukee and it's in the air right now. Hopefully yours will go as well.

If its any consolation, my husband's flight through Vegas today was cancelled so I rebooked it thru Milwaukee and it's in the air right now. Hopefully yours will go as well.

When was the flight cancelled? Glad you were able to find an alternative though!

Now, now... don't tell me that. But in some ways, that doesn't make a lot of sense. I mean, we have 2 stops but also 2 planes. So, although OUR flight is DSM > STL > MKE > MCO, it's really two routes: DSM>STL and STL>MKE>MCO. So if they cancel that flight, the folks at MKE (Milwaukee), won't be able to have their nonstop flight to MCO.
For those not familiar with MKE, it's a great compact airport with easy connections (at most, about a 3 minute walk to the farthest gate for Southwest connections). Everyone is very low-key and friendly - that Midwest hospitality. There are a few spots near the gates for a quick drink or bite to eat, as well as an airport shop and restrooms nearby.

It has to be among the best airports for Southwest customers to connect - even in winter, believe it or not.

Flight on Apr 14 was switched to the 15 three days ago with no notification just happened to notice it tonight. Just got through to SW after a 50 min wait. They were able to get me on another flight on the 14. Be sure to check your flight daily!

Flight on Apr 14 was switched to the 15 three days ago with no notification just happened to notice it tonight. Just got through to SW after a 50 min wait. They were able to get me on another flight on the 14. Be sure to check your flight daily!
Whoa, that’s Scary!! Had they previously emailed you flight information? I’ve received emails for things as little as flight number changes. (Received one of these earliervthis week.) I’m shocked they would change the date of your flight and not email you immediately!!

Thanks for the heads up! I will continue to monitor our flights daily, now adding logging in to our account and verifying my confirmed flight and day!

Glad they were able to switch you back to your original day!!

Based on the anecdotal information here, it seems like their look-ahead window has been about 2 weeks.

As to which flights are most likely to get cancelled, I think we'd need a crystal ball to figure that one out. There are a lot of factors besides what type of aircraft was originally supposed to service that flight. I think variables such as plane location, how much of its capacity was already booked, time of day, availability of crew, and ability to reschedule all come into play.

Whoa, that’s Scary!! Had they previously emailed you flight information? I’ve received emails for things as little as flight number changes. (Received one of these earliervthis week.) I’m shocked they would change the date of your flight and not email you immediately!!

Thanks for the heads up! I will continue to monitor our flights daily, now adding logging in to our account and verifying my confirmed flight and day!

Glad they were able to switch you back to your original day!!

I've received 2 emails for this flight, a confirmation email and another email trying to get me to book a hotel through them. Customer service said they tried to call but my voice mail was full (it's not). When they looked at my account they said it's marked for text message notifications (yes, that's what I selected), but I didn't get one of those either. Customer service couldn't say why I didn't get a text or email. I love SW and Customer Service was great once I got them on the line, but this really irritates me. If I wasn't vigilant about checking I would have never known. My brother in law also didn't get notified on this same flight.

I've received 2 emails for this flight, a confirmation email and another email trying to get me to book a hotel through them. Customer service said they tried to call but my voice mail was full (it's not). When they looked at my account they said it's marked for text message notifications (yes, that's what I selected), but I didn't get one of those either. Customer service couldn't say why I didn't get a text or email. I love SW and Customer Service was great once I got them on the line, but this really irritates me. If I wasn't vigilant about checking I would have never known. My brother in law also didn't get notified on this same flight.
Thanks for the update! Due to being Canadians I can only get emails from SW so I will continue to monitor those. I've also checked my confirmation online today and so far we're okay but we're also 3 1/2 weeks away from flying. Still plenty of time for things to change. Thankfully we have flexibility on both ends of our trip if we need to stay longer but we really don't want our trip cut shorter so I'm watching carefully.

Glad it all worked out for you! Hoping nothing more changes for you.

For those looking for a "revised schedule" - do not expect such a thing. They have 4,000 flights per day. They are adjusting on the fly. Anything sent out would be out of date before they even hit the "send" button.

This happened to me as well my 17 yr old sons flight was cancelled it was his first time flying alone and meeting us. We received no call no email nothing. I discovered it when I happened to go on to create our trip itinerary to leave for my husband. When I called they would only book him on a connecting flight which I was not comfortable with but took because they gave me no choice and our trip was less than two weeks away. They could not explain why we were not notified or why they did not book him on another flight and they had the correct email as they had communicated with us for confirmation. We fly SWA every year for the last 17 years so I was disappointed that it was handled this way we have always found the service good. Anyway I stalked the flights for hours on my own and finally got him on a nonstop. I learned a lesson to always monitor for changes I will not rely on them communicating with me. I have always loved SWA and will view this as one bad experience but I hope it never happens again

no matter what airline - always keep an eye on your reservation. They ALL make changes - even before this 737Max thing.
This is a good point. I’ve had experiences with AA and United rebooking flights and no notification to me for weeks (if ever - as when I catch it I call immediately to address it). It’s a shame but seems like an industry wide problem.

In this day and age it’s crazy that FedEx can tell me my package is delayed by 45 minutes yet major airlines can’t tell me that a flight 4 months from now has been changed/adjusted.

Last edited:
Hoping someone can ease my mind.. our SW return flight takes off at 7am. So we’ll be responsible for our own luggage on DME. With DME picking up 3 hrs before(so 4am?), that’s enough time to get from side B to side A, check in our luggage, print our boarding passes, get thru security, ride the tram and be at our gate by 630 or before?

I didn’t realize I needed a flight after 8am for Disney to take our luggage. So I’m kicking myself. There is a later morning flight which would have been perfect.

To add to all this, our 7am flight is showing “sold out”...so we might end up on a different flight anyway, maybe?. Our trip isn’t until May, but it’s stressing me out. I wish SW would let me rebook soon so I could update DME.

Hoping someone can ease my mind.. our SW return flight takes off at 7am. So we’ll be responsible for our own luggage on DME. With DME picking up 3 hrs before(so 4am?), that’s enough time to get from side B to side A, check in our luggage, print our boarding passes, get thru security, ride the tram and be at our gate by 630 or before?

I didn’t realize I needed a flight after 8am for Disney to take our luggage. So I’m kicking myself. There is a later morning flight which would have been perfect.

To add to all this, our 7am flight is showing “sold out”...so we might end up on a different flight anyway, maybe?. Our trip isn’t until May, but it’s stressing me out. I wish SW would let me rebook soon so I could update DME.

That's plenty of time to arrive and be at your gate. Getting through security that early in the morning shouldn't be an issue at all. I've left Orlando on early flights like yours and it's usually not to be unless it's a holiday.

I feel your pain on your flight showing sold out and that's happening a lot across the board. I was watching my own flight that I'm scheduled to be on in May going from Las Vegas to Orlando non-stop and that flight was getting cancelled every single day so I ended up cancelling my flight going and booked on United and just kept my return flight on Southwest because that flight hasn't been affected. Had to pay extra but it gave me piece of mind.

Hope all works out for you!

#1 - If they pick you up at 4am, you will surely be at the airport by 5, if delayed 5:30. You will be just fine. Walking across the airport is not that bad. You do NOT need to print boarding passes. You can do all of that on your phone.

#2 - Sold out flights. Many of those that show sold out are due to schedule shuffling. In many cases, they are "blocking" sale so they can move people to your flight from cancelled flights.

#3 - WHEN are you traveling?

We have 10 flights on WN between now and late June. We have no worry about flights.

Southwest has 4,000 flights per day. They will get your there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter