Possible DL trip... help us?

LuvMy3Monkeys

Mouseketeer
We're talking about a possible trip to the LA area to visit friends, and may possibly do a DL stay while there.

But.. I have lots of questions. :lmao:

Does DL transportation work like DW? Will they pick you up from the airport and take you to your hotel? It looks like there's only 3 hotels. What about all these "good neighbor" hotels? Is there transportation available?

DL is a condensed version of MK, right? How much touring can you plan to do there? Tickets... same price as WDW? Dining plans or no?

Would I want to use LAX airport? Or another?

What else is a "must do" in the area?

What time is best to go? Our trip would be doable from Sept forward... so anytime late september or later.

Tips??

:)

I have never done a dining plan at Disneyland, but I have been a long time reader here, and from what I have heard, the dining plan at Disneyland it not a good deal. It's nothing like WDW.

Good neighbor hotels get the Disney stamp of approval. They are the hotels located around the park that are not part of Disneyland Resort. But some of these hotels are better than others. The Howard Johnsons, Park Vue, and the Candy Cane Inn seem like three of the most popular. I know that Howard Johnsons is about a ten minute walk, and Park Vue is just right across the street.

That is what I know about that. :) I am sure many more will come along and chime in.

We're talking about a possible trip to the LA area to visit friends, and may possibly do a DL stay while there.

Welcome! :goodvibes

First thing to learn. :teacher: When you say "Disneyland" we pretty much know you mean all of Disneyland Resort. But when you abbreviate to "DL" then we usually understand that to mean the theme park DL and not the resort which is generally abbreviated "DLR". "DL" is like "MK" a park, and "DLR" is like "WDW" a resort. :)

FYI, if you read these threads you will have all of your questions answered and more:

Sticky: * DLR Info/Links - Maps, Hotels, DISer Reviews, Hydroguy's tips, NEWBIE INFO here!

"A DLR Guide for WDW Vets" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1162599

Does DL transportation work like DW? Will they pick you up from the airport and take you to your hotel? It looks like there's only 3 hotels. What about all these "good neighbor" hotels? Is there transportation available?
No if you mean Magical Express. DLR is served by six airports and has about half the annual attendance of WDW, and is really a small fish in a big pond when it comes to the California economy.

Your options are discussed here: "Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information" by 3TinksAndAnEeyore www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2318297

Many of the good neighbors are within walking distance and I would highly recommend you stay at a walking distance hotel. One classic mistake made by WDW vets is to take their comfort at WDW with buses and monorails and driving apply that to DLR and think it works similarly. It doesn't. The walking distance hotels can completely change how you experience DLR and that should be your starting point. See "HydroGuy's Hotel Rule" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199862

DL is a condensed version of MK, right? How much touring can you plan to do there? Tickets... same price as WDW? Dining plans or no?
If by DL having almost 30% more rides than MK you mean "is DL more condensed than MK", the answer is "no". DL has lots more rides and several more headliners. When it comes to rides it is MK which is a condensed version of DL! :teacher:

If you are talking about space, MK is about 25% bigger than DL so in that sense DL is more condensed. :teacher:

How much touring where? At the parks? Plan for a minimum of four days.

Tickets at DLR tend to cost more per day than WDW, but then most folks spend less days at DLR so the overall ticket cost is less than WDW.

The dining plan at DLR has little in common with WDW and hardly anyone around here uses it or recommends it.

Best bet IMO is SNA (John Wayne airport). But LAX works. See the previous link on transportation from 3Tinks.

How much time do you have? California has so many things to do you will never get to all of them.

Check "DLR Guide for WDW Vets" link above as it has lots of suggestions.

What time is best to go? Our trip would be doable from Sept forward... so anytime late september or later.
Best time for what? Crowds? Warm temperatures? Cool temperatures? Avoiding rain? Maximum rides and shows available? Making sure you catch the latest and greatest offerings?

This may help: "Choosing When To Visit DLR: Summary of High and Low Season and When Each Happens" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=36509602

Read the DLR Guide link and it will help you ask even better questions.

:wizard:

Edit: RATS...HYDROGUY BEAT ME TO IT. :)

Does DL transportation work like DW? Will they pick you up from the airport and take you to your hotel?

Yes, but it's NOT free. Hopefully others will provide the cost. (& renting a car is a good option.

It looks like there's only 3 hotels. What about all these "good neighbor" hotels? Is there transportation available?

The BEST TRANSPORTATION is your feet. :) Seriously....if you select a "good neighbor" hotel (there are dozens)....pick one that is on Harbor Blvd. a 6-9 min. walk fromt he turnstile. (Jazzie mentioned 3 good ones, there are about 8-10 within walking distance).

But onsite is GREAT is you can swing the $$.

DL is a condensed version of MK, right?

DL (walt's original) has many more rides than MK. (& most would agree is better than the MK singular park for a variety of reasons). As you probably know....DLR has two parks to WDW four parks.

How much touring can you plan to do there?

3 days minimum. 4 days would be better than 3....& 5 days would probably be optimal. & plan on PARK HOPPING each & every day. (you're not at WDW).

Tickets... same price as WDW?

Dunno. But a 3 day (OR MORE) hopper (staying anywhere) gets you ONE MM which is nice.

Dining plans or no?

Jazzie's correct. The dining plan is nothing like WDW. Don't waste time researching.

Depends. Where are you coming from? What else do you want to visit? SNA is the closest to DLR though.

Tips??

Someone else posted similar questions a couple of weeks ago & this was my response:

Here's the WDW veteran primer.....a must read...probably ought to read it twice :)!!:

HydroGuy's DLR for the WDW veteran tip thread. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1478699

Also, lots of good info for the WDW vet in Mary Jo's tip thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=802084

Regarding touring DLR....the two most important things to remember is to:

- Get to the parks BEFORE opening &
- Know how to use FP at DLR.

30 minutes early is typically when security opens (so getting in THIS line 5-15 minutes prior to security opening is best). Being one of the first 8-10 families at Security will get you up front (probably first thru third family) in line at the DL turnstile. Being very near the front of the turnstiles is important (to me) so that:

- For MM I'm first on Peter Pan...if i'm first on PP then the rest of MM flows easily. & even if i'm not doing PP, i would want to be first on Matterhorn...or SM (or whatever) during MM.

"Critique of MM/EE" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1392671

- Even on a non MM day, I want to be one of the first few the turnstiles so i can get to ST, SM (or Indy) FP machine first (to start the FP collection clock). Then we'll hop on our first ride a minute or two later & begin the important first 90-120 min. of the day at DLR.

KNOW THESE FP THREADS:

"Getting the Most Out of FastPass During High Season" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=885132

"FastPass for Dummies and Smarties - A Photographic Explanation" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1186052

"Which Fast Pass First?" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1107718

"Strategies For Using DL and DCA Opening Time Differences to Collect More Fastpasses"
www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1553197

"Why I Park Hop" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1491961

If you have kiddos ages 4-11, then Jedi Training is a must:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1478699

Regarding getting to the Security Tent 35-45 min. prior to general admission (or MM) opening.....in other words... 5-15 min before SECURITY opens:

Have a great time planning a visit to Walt's Park. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter