Possible deal on Disney GC at Target

That is the desire. (Or use your Discover Card to buy $1,500 of Target Gift Cards, because Oct-Dec is 5% cashback on Discover at Target/Amazon; so same discount as Red Card.) The issue is if you can still buy Disney Gift Cards (which are considered prepaid entertainment cards by Target) or if they have closed that loophole. In the past many people (myself included) have purchased the Disney cards with Target gift cards. We've been hearing reports of people saying that they were unable to do that now, and a few people saying that they were still able to do it. However, there are also people who were getting confused with purchasing Disney gift cards with their Target Red Card store credit card and getting the standard 5% discount for using the Red Card (which is still allowed) and purchasing Disney gift cards with Target GIFT cards.

I guess the good (or bad, depending on how you look at it) thing for my household is if we buy ~$1,500 of target giftcards at 10% off and they won't let us buy Disney Gift cards, we'll still spend this amount in target over the next few months and can just apply to other purchases.

I guess the good (or bad, depending on how you look at it) thing for my household is if we buy ~$1,500 of target giftcards at 10% off and they won't let us buy Disney Gift cards, we'll still spend this amount in target over the next few months and can just apply to other purchases.
That would be over a year's worth of normal Target purchases for us! (My wife is more of a Walmart girl.) ;)

I think that's why you need to ask the manager before purchasing the Target gift cards.

I had a terrible time using the 20% coupon online. It wouldn't allow sterilite storage tubs, a Mickey Mouse shirt for my son, or Hanes men's underwear, all items not listed on the exclusions. I had to call customer service to get refund for 20% value on all these items.

I had a terrible time using the 20% coupon online. It wouldn't allow sterilite storage tubs, a Mickey Mouse shirt for my son, or Hanes men's underwear, all items not listed on the exclusions. I had to call customer service to get refund for 20% value on all these items.

Did you have to fight them for it? Or were they easy to work with?

That is the desire. (Or use your Discover Card to buy $1,500 of Target Gift Cards, because Oct-Dec is 5% cashback on Discover at Target/Amazon; so same discount as Red Card.) The issue is if you can still buy Disney Gift Cards (which are considered prepaid entertainment cards by Target) or if they have closed that loophole. In the past many people (myself included) have purchased the Disney cards with Target gift cards. We've been hearing reports of people saying that they were unable to do that now, and a few people saying that they were still able to do it. However, there are also people who were getting confused with purchasing Disney gift cards with their Target Red Card store credit card and getting the standard 5% discount for using the Red Card (which is still allowed) and purchasing Disney gift cards with Target GIFT cards.

As of today, Target's policy is that you CAN buy a Disney Gift card using a Target gift card as payment. Someone asked specifically about buying Disney gift cards on Target's Facebook page and this was the response, ""Hello Theresa – Thank you for reaching out to us and great question. Yes, you can use Target GiftCards to purchase specialty GiftCards such as Disney. Exclusions do apply which include any Visa/Mastercard or American Express specialty cards. We hope this helps and have a Wonderful Holiday Season! - Trixie"

Now just hafta figure out how to get around that $300 household maximum buying the 10% off Target gift cards on Sunday ;)

Ok, dumb question time...can you use Disney gift cards to pay if you booked through Costco? I've done that in the past when the DVA was a thing (just contributed the cards to my DVA and then used it to pay), but now that they've done away with the vacation accounts I don't know.

Regarding using Target gift cards to purchase Target and third party gift cards, here's the policy from Target's online help page.

"Are there any exceptions for purchasing gift cards?

Target GiftCards can't be used to purchase the following:

-American Express, Visa and Mastercard gift cards in store or from Target. com.

-Specialty gift cards from Target. com, including gift cards for gaming, music and restaurants, such as iTunes, Xbox and Olive Garden.

-Target GiftCards from Target. com."

Based on this, it seems that Target gift cards can be used to purchase both specialty and Target gift cards in store. I haven't had any issues with doing this to purchase Disney gift cards in stores at the regular checkout or self checkout, but others have reported being denied. It's possible individual stores are putting in place their own policy to manage risks.

I plan to use my Discover It card to get an additional 10% off in cash back (it's my first year). You will not get the RedCard discount on the purchase of Target gift cards; it does however apply to third party gift cards. You'll get the most out of this deal by using a cashback card for additional savings. People have gotten over the $300 limit by purchasing online and then in store, as well as purchasing at different registers/locations in the store, and by purchasing at different Target store locations. You can find more strategies and advice for getting discounted Disney gift cards by searching in the "Disney Gift Card Deals" thread in the Budget forum. The best thing to do is to not purchase more than you're comfortable being stuck with, just in case your store does not allow it.

For whoever was asking about recent experiences with using Target GC To purchase Disney GC, I did this in April-June this year. I stocked up on diapers when they had deals to get GC with diaper purchases and ended up with $150-$200 worth of GC from that. I was able to buy Disney gift cards with it for our June trip.

For whoever was asking about recent experiences with using Target GC To purchase Disney GC, I did this in April-June this year. I stocked up on diapers when they had deals to get GC with diaper purchases and ended up with $150-$200 worth of GC from that. I was able to buy Disney gift cards with it for our June trip.
Not sure if 6-8 months ago qualifies as "recent" when the concern is that people are reporting that the rules have changed.

I think I'll try buying $300 of Target gift cards on December 3rd IF they are 10% off (I still don't see anything on the Target website saying it; there are only some websites saying that they've heard it will take place), and then go to another register and see if I can buy Disney gift cards. If I can, then I'll go to a few other stores and repeat. If not, then my wife will eventually spend the $300.

Not sure if 6-8 months ago qualifies as "recent" when the concern is that people are reporting that the rules have changed.

I think I'll try buying $300 of Target gift cards on December 3rd IF they are 10% off (I still don't see anything on the Target website saying it; there are only some websites saying that they've heard it will take place), and then go to another register and see if I can buy Disney gift cards. If I can, then I'll go to a few other stores and repeat. If not, then my wife will eventually spend the $300.

There were Target ads on TV yesterday with a promo about 10% off Target Gift cards this Sunday. The ad had the toy figures and a troll running thru the front door.

Our Target store has a big sign as you walk in the door advertising the Dec 3 Target Gift Card 10% deal.

Our Target store has a big sign as you walk in the door advertising the Dec 3 Target Gift Card 10% deal.

Actually a Facebook ad for this just popped into my news feed. Someone specifcally asked about using Target GC to buy Disney GC - yes you can. Here is the reply from Target: "You can use Target GiftCards to buy specialty gift cards, like Disney for example, in our stores. You can't purchase specialty gift cards on our website using Target GiftCards."

Can you spend those target cards the same day you buy them or do you have to wait till the next day?

I'm guessing no one has had any luck applying the 20% coupon, huh?

Thanks to everyone above for posting explanations/clarifications on how to use Target GCs to buy Disney cards. Just to make sure I'm not misunderstanding, can someone confirm:

You have to be at a store to USE your Target GCs to buy Disney cards - i get that. But you can still buy the initial Target GCs online during the 10% off sale, right? You don't have to travel to the store to do the initial purchase, do you?

Thanks to everyone above for posting explanations/clarifications on how to use Target GCs to buy Disney cards. Just to make sure I'm not misunderstanding, can someone confirm:

You have to be at a store to USE your Target GCs to buy Disney cards - i get that. But you can still buy the initial Target GCs online during the 10% off sale, right? You don't have to travel to the store to do the initial purchase, do you?
I think that there is a $300 limit per person, you can buy $300 online and $300 in the store in my experience. Going to different stores/registers may allow you to purchase more.

Reactions: shh

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter