Possible deal on Disney GC at Target

They're not allowing that now either. Last I heard, about a year ago, they closed that loophole, though some stores were still allowing it.
I was so disappointed to see Target did not offer the 10% off Target gift cards ($300 limit) this Black Friday...or did I somehow miss the notice.
I think that sale happens in December so there’s still hope and last year I was able to use my target gift cards for Disney gift cards, ymmv

Curious...if Target categorizes Disney cards as "entertainment" cards vs "gift" cards why wouldn't the 20% coupon work? The coupon excludes "gift" cards?

Following. I got a coupon today. A couple years ago, I was able to use the coupon on Disney cards. While that would be really nice, I'm not hopeful given all the changes they've made to close the loopholes with the gift cards over the past year or so

Following. I got a coupon today. A couple years ago, I was able to use the coupon on Disney cards. While that would be really nice, I'm not hopeful given all the changes they've made to close the loopholes with the gift cards over the past year or so
The 20% off coupon never worked on Disney gift cards unless a manager overrode the register.

I’ve followed these deals very closely for years. Every time they do the 20% off going back at least to 2013 people get excited about using it for Disney gift cards and it has never worked.

And the entertainment vs gift vs prepaid is moot these days. Haven’t seen a coupon in ages from target that does not exclude gift cards and target has gotten more and more restrictive so I highly doubt they are going to reverse course at this point.

I am probably tilting at windmills here, but I might have to cause a bit of a fuss at the store if the Disney cards are not honored on the coupon.

The weekly ad says in the teeny fine print at the bottom "Some exclusions apply; see coupon for details". Well, you don't see the damn coupon until you have already spent your $50. That seems inherently unfair.

Also, there are other bits of promotion from official Target channels that don't mention limitations on the 20%. No "some exclusions apply"; no little asterisks to indicate a disclaimer. For example, I googled "Target Black Friday Spend $50 20% Coupon" and was brought to this link: https://corporate.target.com/article/2017/11/black-friday-highlights

Correct me if I am wrong, but there is nothing in that press release to indicate any exclusions apply. If a customer had seen only that link and never seen the weekly ad, they'd have no reason to believe there was a laundry list of items that were excluded. The only time they would find out is after they spent their +$50. Again, unfair.

Again, I know I am grasping at straws here. If the Target manager wants to be hard-assed about it (or if their hands are truly tied), they might just apologize for the miscommunication and offer to refund me my $50 on the Disney gift card I bought last night. On the other hand, I am looking to spend $1800 in their store if they honor the 20% on the GCs. I don't expect them to cave, but I am going to give it my best shot. Saving $600 is well worth the effort.

Last edited:

The 20% off coupon never worked on Disney gift cards unless a manager overrode the register.

I’ve followed these deals very closely for years. Every time they do the 20% off going back at least to 2013 people get excited about using it for Disney gift cards and it has never worked.

It worked for me in 2015. I bought around $3000 in Disney cards to pay off my cruise balance and they let me use the coupon. I don't remember a manager having to override it, but I could be wrong on that. I do know I walked away with hundreds in savings on my gift cards.
I will try again this year, but am fully prepared that it will most likely not work. I didn't spend over $50 on Black Friday for the sole intention of getting that coupon and I shop at target often enough that it'll still save me some money, so I don't plan on fighting them on it. If they allow it to go through, it'll be a pleasant surprise.

It worked for me in 2015. I bought around $3000 in Disney cards to pay off my cruise balance and they let me use the coupon. I don't remember a manager having to override it, but I could be wrong on that. I do know I walked away with hundreds in savings on my gift cards.
I will try again this year, but am fully prepared that it will most likely not work. I didn't spend over $50 on Black Friday for the sole intention of getting that coupon and I shop at target often enough that it'll still save me some money, so I don't plan on fighting them on it. If they allow it to go through, it'll be a pleasant surprise.
It absolutely did not work at the register automatically. I was paying off my balance on an 8/16 Fantasy cruise and would have been all over it.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/disney-gift-card-deals.2941964/page-362#post-54806549

I made a $50 purchase this morning and received the coupon by email. It specifically excludes gift cards and whole lot of other stuff. Too bad!
Interesting. I made a $50 purchase and got a code on register receipt. No room to outline what the exclusions are.

I think that sale happens in December so there’s still hope and last year I was able to use my target gift cards for Disney gift cards, ymmv

Out of curiosity, I poked around to see what the terms are for Disney gcs. Target has gotten specific now. The verbiage is on the $50 and $100 physical cards, but not on the variable egcs. Probably an oversight or accidental omission though.

Attachments

• 24093576_1475394669176477_1202094760_o.jpg
    24093576_1475394669176477_1202094760_o.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 35
It's probably too much to hope that Target's cyber Monday deal will work on Disney cards??

It's probably too much to hope that Target's cyber Monday deal will work on Disney cards??
It says gift cards and prepaid entertainment cards are excluded. But I'll still keep my fingers crossed that there is a glitch and I can grab $2,500 worth of Disney gift cards!! ;)

Out of curiosity, I poked around to see what the terms are for Disney gcs. Target has gotten specific now. The verbiage is on the $50 and $100 physical cards, but not on the variable egcs. Probably an oversight or accidental omission though.
Oh man, thanks! In the store I usually buy other items and the gift cards so I will try and see. I know that online they cracked down earlier this year, not sure what will happen in the stores

They even specified entertainment cards as part of the exclusions.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 11
I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has luck getting a manager to grant an override, and how they were persuaded to do so.

NM, can't buy target gift card to purchase another gift card, so no go on 10% target gift card on 12/3

Last edited:
This coupon is not loss leader...Target profit on their sales will be reduced with a 20% off coupon, but they still make a profit. Expecting them to take a loss (as they would with gift cards) isn't reasonable. I would like it if they did, but I can't imagine a rational manager or higher in the company allowing them to be used for what is clearly a money losing sale.

I read here it has happened, and would be a bit of pixie dust if it can be used for the Disney cards, but I'm not holding my breath here. They're not in business to help fund my vacation!

NM, can't buy target gift card to purchase another gift card, so no go on 10% target gift card on 12/3
You cannot online. In store I've never had a problem doing so. In the past I've bought Target gift cards at Kroger (fuel points and cash back from Amex). Used those to buy Target gift cards at Target at 10% off. Used those the following day to get Disney gift cards. For me this saves about 23%. I've had no issues of late using Target gift cards to buy Target gift cards (did so last week) or Disney gift cards so I expect this will work next week as it has in the past. If it doesn't for some reason, I can always use the Target gift cards on groceries so I'm not really out much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter