• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Possible Cyber Monday discounts

I am extremely disappointed in southwest's lack of BF deals.
Traditionally BF promotions were for Brick and Mortar. Cyber Monday promotions were for online sales.

Black Friday has lost the original meaning. Companies have been running Black Friday sales for weeks.
On American, not Southwest. Many seats area available for no extra charge, and you are assigned a seat at booking if you don't select one.

Many airlines charge some pax for any seat. Many of those wait until a complimentary seat is assigned at check in.

On American, not Southwest. Many seats area available for no extra charge, and you are assigned a seat at booking if you don't select one. I've found these to be accurate when I compare the chart available a couple of days before the flight to actual people on the flight.

I don't know of a way to see how many tickets are sold for Southwest. Southwest doesn't have assigned seats.
But you were complaining about SW "sales". I'm confused.

As mentioned, seat maps aren't 100% accurate until the day of (and sometimes not even then). Airlines can charge what they want to charge. Customers can decide if they want to purchase at the price or not. If enough customers DON'T purchase at a given price, the airlines will either lower the price or the seats go unsold (so ZERO money).

I've been on nearly 90 flights this year. With one exception, the flights were 95% (or more) full

Many airlines charge some pax for any seat. Many of those wait until a complimentary seat is assigned at check in.
My example regarding seat plans is very specifically to American, not all airlines. My reference to price gouging is more concerning the 2x-3x increase in rates. This far outstrips actual inflation. I could understand it if there was a high demand at the time of increase, but there doesn't seem to be.
But you were complaining about SW "sales". I'm confused.

As mentioned, seat maps aren't 100% accurate until the day of (and sometimes not even then). Airlines can charge what they want to charge. Customers can decide if they want to purchase at the price or not. If enough customers DON'T purchase at a given price, the airlines will either lower the price or the seats go unsold (so ZERO money).

I've been on nearly 90 flights this year. With one exception, the flights were 95% (or more) full
See what I wrote to the quote above. The 2x-3x increase in rates is very abnormal for tickets this far out, and doesn't correspond to normal pricing trends for neither the airline nor my airport, nor can be accounted for with inflation alone which is high but not currently at 200-300%. As stated above, I could understand it if there was an abnormally high demand for tickets this far out, but what I am able to see there isn't. So....why a 2-3x increase in cost? An increase is understandable with growing inflation but it should be proportional to actual increased costs. Pricing at such a high rate over inflated costs is quite frankly a money grab.

Isn't that what a business is supposed to do, "grab money"? Guessing the airline has data that people WILL pay the 200-300% increase. Also guessing that if they don't, about 2-3 months out, the prices will drop slightly. But if they do, prices continue to go up.

Its a gamble.

So....why a 2-3x increase in cost? An increase is understandable with growing inflation but it should be proportional to actual increased costs. Pricing at such a high rate over inflated costs is quite frankly a money grab.
If demand has fallen off a cliff the second to last step is to make those who still want the item pay through the nose.

The last step is to close. In airline speak that’s cutback flights or kill the route entirely.

If demand has fallen off a cliff the second to last step is to make those who still want the item pay through the nose.

The last step is to close. In airline speak that’s cutback flights or kill the route entirely.
Demand has not fallen off a cliff. Theres normal demand and usage at our airport with flights being close to full when they take off.

Demand has not fallen off a cliff. Theres normal demand and usage at our airport with flights being close to full when they take off.
Lol, you can’t have your cake and eat it too. “…I could understand it if there was a high demand at the time of increase, but there doesn't seem to be…”

So, since you have now decided these flights leave full and are popular, AA finally made some smart business decisions they should have made a year ago. They’re only a charity when they need money from the Government, all other times they’re just a business.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter