• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Possible broken foot, 3 weeks out.

KalamityJane

DIS Veteran
I'm going to the doctor tomorrow but I'm fairly sure I've broken/severely injured my foot today.

So uh... What are my options to make this trip work? We will have a stroller so I don't know if a wheelchair will work. (1 other adult, 3 kids) How does that work with rides? I can't bear weight at all and the type of injury I have says non load bearing for 6 weeks.

Sounds like you will need an ECV, look into renting one privately instead of from Disney. That way you can use it to and from the parks as well.

You should find out soon if you get a cast or boot of some kind. You should also get crutches, which helps with transfers. Some transfers are very difficult if completely non-load bearing like Space Mountain and Pirates.

Sorry to hear about your injury. You will probably get a better sense of things after you see your doctor.

Ouch, I'm sorry! I'm in the same boat, so I totally understand - fell and broke my foot 3 weeks and 1 day before our flight out to DLR with a 2 year old and 4 year old. I have been planning this trip for so long and I think I was more excited than our kids, so it's hard not to feel frustrated and disappointed. Luckily the grandparents on both sides are going with us, but it's going to make the trip a challenge for sure.

I've never used an ECV before, but it sounds like with your situation with only one other adult, that's probably going to be the best option. I saw Deckert's and OC Medical recommended on another thread, and I'm sure there are others. If you're flying, I think airlines have wheelchairs you can use at the airport, and you should be able to preboard your flights, though I'm not sure if they allow more than one person to preboard with you.

Our trip is in just over a week and a half and I'm still working out the logistics myself, so I can't offer any other advice on that front. But if the doctor puts you on crutches, I would really recommend getting crutch pads! The gel kind offer much better support, especially on the hand grips, and it makes using them so much more bearable. I found some on Amazon called Crutcheez (I think), and it includes both hand grip and armpit pad gel covers.

Maybe you'll luck out and it's just bruised or a mild sprain, and it will feel better after a few days of rest?

My daughter was completely non-weight bearing for a couple of our trips this summer. We had her use an ECV, however, unsure how you will handle a stroller too (if you are non-weight bearing.) Many rides will be difficult to board. Anything you have to step down into isn't going to go well. Is there someone you can bring to assist you? For my daughter, we pretty much skipped rides until she was weight bearing. You need to consider not just how hard to get in and out of a ride, but also what would happen if you had to walk off a ride. I am not sure what break you have that would be non-weight for 6 weeks. My daughter shattered her fibula, and was non-weight bearing for 8 weeks post surgery. But most of her foot breaks/tears have only been non-weight bearing 2 weeks.

Is there any way you can postpone your trip? I broke my foot and had surgery a year ago and could not put any weight on it for 3 mos. There is no way I could have handled Disney during those three months! Getting on and off rides will be an issue, people being careless and bumping into you could cause big problems, when my foot was not elavated, it started swelling and hurting, being on crutches is so hard on the rest of your body! If the doctor says it is broken, I would really look into waiting until you foot is healed!! If you can't change the dates, look into which rides are handicap accessable. There are rides that accomodate wheelchairs, not sure about scooters but those are the only ones you can probably ride safely. Good luck at the doctor tomorrow!

Oh no! I'm so sorry that happened! I broke my toe week before our trip and that was a big enough pain!

I've had foot surgery and been non weight bearing before, and it really is exhausting. If you can postpone, I think I would. If you can't, I hope you heal quickly and its feeling better by your trip!

Definitley rent a scooter off site, much cheaper. They will deliver and pick up at your hotel. Deckert's is the best! 714-542-5607

I woke up this morning and it felt a TON better. Got xrays, no break, they think I gave myself a case of tendonitis and it swelled last night which started dislocating things causing more pain. Over the night since I was resting it, swelling went down, bones went back into place, voila.

So I have a brace on for support so I don't aggravate it more but it should be fine to walk with!

I woke up this morning and it felt a TON better. Got xrays, no break, they think I gave myself a case of tendonitis and it swelled last night which started dislocating things causing more pain. Over the night since I was resting it, swelling went down, bones went back into place, voila.

So I have a brace on for support so I don't aggravate it more but it should be fine to walk with!
So great to hear! I think your trip is the same time as mine and I was thinking about you as soon as I saw your original post. Try to rest up and keep it elevated when you can over the next couple weeks.

Good news! Just in case, pack a supply kit with any first aid supplies and pain meds you might need for your trip. You can ask your doctor for a prescription in case of serious pain or swelling. (CVS at Harbor and Katella is probably the closest pharmacy to the parks.) That way, if you need something pronto, you'll have it without having to waste vacation time wondering where to find it in the parks. And if you don't need it, terrific!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter