• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Portofino Inn or Red Lion or Castle Inn?

AZpharmacist

Mouseketeer
I booked a room at the Portofino Inn but am having second thoughts. Pretty much, there's nothing available on our dates (that is also in the price range of everyone in our party). So I have to choose between these two. Has anyone stayed at either? Cleaner, nicer rooms? Distance to the parks is the same as they are across the street from each other. One is by the IHOP, the other by CVS

Edit to add:
Castle Inn is about the same rate and slightly closer. Anyone stay here?

Last edited:
We have stayed at The Red Lion many times with no issue. I am not sure about the Portofino, but TRL charges a resort fee (not sure what the fee is because when I book it is always included with LMT Club) and $15 for parking. The pool is a little on the cool side, and there is no hot tub. It is closer to the TS lot, in case you decide to utilize it.

I think I should probably call both places and find out about resort fees and parking.

We won't be using the shuttle most likely bc we usually have our stroller loaded with stuff for the day.

We have stayed at The Red Lion many times with no issue. I am not sure about the Portofino, but TRL charges a resort fee (not sure what the fee is because when I book it is always included with LMT Club) and $15 for parking. The pool is a little on the cool side, and there is no hot tub. It is closer to the TS lot, in case you decide to utilize it.

Did you try the breakfast? Some reviews said it was gross

I think I should probably call both places and find out about resort fees and parking.

We won't be using the shuttle most likely bc we usually have our stroller loaded with stuff for the day.

No. We just ate in our room or in the parks.

We've stayed at the Red Lion three times and will be again in February. The only complaint we have ever had is one day the maid service skipped our room. No biggie, we just requested clean towels and they brought them right up. We haven't utilized the pool or restaurant on property, however, so I can't speak to those. We like the pricing, distance, and the hotel seemed pretty quiet during all of our stays. Yes, you pay for parking, but the lot is secure with gates and there never seems to be anyone cutting through the lot or wandering around that isn't staying at the hotel, which we like.

Castle Inn would def be my last choice of the three. Red Lion would be my first, and I've stayed there multiple times. They do have breakfast, but it's not included (unless something has changed). They do charge a resort fee, but it seems like most places do now.

Red lion has $15 resort fee and $15 parking fee. Breakfast also costs extra. I stayed there and it was fine but those fees made my good deal into just an okay deal. The water was super cloudy and gross when using the tap but got clearer if you let it run for a few seconds before. I don't know that I would stay here again just because I know I can get a better deal at other hotels (some even closer).

Hi,

I have a comment about the Red Lion breakfast. It was horrible. Everything was over salted and was not pleasant. I would not recommend the breakfast. If you stay at Red lion go over to Ihop nearby. Besides the breakfast, we loved staying at Red Lion, but we wish it was walking distantance to the parks.

Hi,

I have a comment about the Red Lion breakfast. It was horrible. Everything was over salted and was not pleasant. I would not recommend the breakfast. If you stay at Red lion go over to Ihop nearby. Besides the breakfast, we loved staying at Red Lion, but we wish it was walking distantance to the parks.

How long of a walk is it? I thought it was right across the street from the CVS?

I stayed at the Castle Inn in November and loved it. The room was huge for two people and was 10-20 minutes walk from the park so really close. If you want to have a look at the start of my trip report linked below there's pictures of the room and that on it.

The Distant is 1.7 miles according to Google from Red lion to Disneyland. Also, Google says it is about a 40 minute walk to the park from the hotel. Hope this helps!
I don't know what your point of reference is, but it is definitely under 1 mile. We have stayed there several times and mapped out the walk. It is very much a walkable location. I am not sure if you are familiar with the area, but the hotel is on the corner of Harbor and Katella. I would not stay anywhere that was almost 2 miles away.

I just checked Travelocity, and they state The Red Lion is .83 of a mile to Disneyland Park. It lists the Portofino at .79 of a mile and they are right across the street from each other.
Based on this map, the distance you are referring to would be more like the corner of Chapman and Harbor, not Katella.
http://www.accommodationsneardisney.com/Disneyland/default.asp

How long of a walk is it? I thought it was right across the street from the CVS?

It IS walking distance as I've done it several times. If you've got a medical issue in which you can't walk very far you'd have a problem, but if not, you'd be fine. It's not as close as the ones that are across the street from the parks, but you can walk to the front gates in 15-20 minutes tops.

The Distant is 1.7 miles according to Google from Red lion to Disneyland. Also, Google says it is about a 40 minute walk to the park from the hotel. Hope this helps!

That's not right- it's 15-20 minutes walking, depending on your speed.

I don't know what your point of reference is, but it is definitely under 1 mile. We have stayed there several times and mapped out the walk. It is very much a walkable location. I am not sure if you are familiar with the area, but the hotel is on the corner of Harbor and Katella. I would not stay anywhere that was almost 2 miles away.

I just checked Travelocity, and they state The Red Lion is .83 of a mile to Disneyland Park. It lists the Portofino at .79 of a mile and they are right across the street from each other.
Based on this map, the distance you are referring to would be more like the corner of Chapman and Harbor, not Katella.
http://www.accommodationsneardisney.com/Disneyland/default.asp

Thank you maybe we have the wrong address. Sorry for the confusion everyone. Have a great day!

Kind of looks like it's near the CVS which is fine. We stayed near that intersection and it was fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter