Portofino Bay Tips?

Thanks for posting that number. We're supposed to check into the Portofino on Thursday but there's about even odds that our flight will be canceled due to weather in Florida. I've booked a backup flight for Friday with airline points but will want to be able to call so they don't think we're just no-showing, and the regular Universal line is always a 2 hour wait.

Question about the shortcut walking path through HRH parking lot. On the map, it looks like you have to cross the street. Do you? Or does the walkway go under the road?

We've been at each deluxe at least twice, and PBH is our favorite resort. The ferry is our favorite way to travel, and the distance to PBH incentivizes us to use the boat instead of walking. Coming into the harbor at night is awesome with everything lit up.

There is an opera singer about 30 minutes before sunset that really sets the mood...

Question about the shortcut walking path through HRH parking lot. On the map, it looks like you have to cross the street. Do you? Or does the walkway go under the road?
You cross the road between PBR & HRH (Universal Blvd), then veer down toward the right into the parking lot before you get to the HRH entrance. There is a traffic light there.

You cross the road between PBR & HRH (Universal Blvd), then veer down toward the right into the parking lot before you get to the HRH entrance. There is a traffic light there.

Thanks for clarifying. We've never walked while staying at PBH, but I like the idea of a short cut.

PBH is our hotel of choice - for transparency purposes have never stayed at any other hotel on property but have visited them for meals and drinks, etc. PBH just fits our vibe. Recommend drinks at The Thirsty Fish, pizza at Sal's, Gelato at the Gelateria, Splendido's has nice cocktails and good food. Have always either stayed in West or East. We like West best, but East was very nice too and closer to the Starbucks. West is closer to the boat dock. Lovely seating areas, nice buffet breakfast at the Trattoria. Bar American in the lobby is a nice place for cocktails too. The Mandara Spa is excellent. We really enjoy the leisurely stroll from the hotel to the parks. We normally stay 5-7 nights so we have plenty of time to take our time and just enjoy everything. It is our happy place!!

PBH is our hotel of choice - for transparency purposes have never stayed at any other hotel on property but have visited them for meals and drinks, etc. PBH just fits our vibe. Recommend drinks at The Thirsty Fish, pizza at Sal's, Gelato at the Gelateria, Splendido's has nice cocktails and good food. Have always either stayed in West or East. We like West best, but East was very nice too and closer to the Starbucks. West is closer to the boat dock. Lovely seating areas, nice buffet breakfast at the Trattoria. Bar American in the lobby is a nice place for cocktails too. The Mandara Spa is excellent. We really enjoy the leisurely stroll from the hotel to the parks. We normally stay 5-7 nights so we have plenty of time to take our time and just enjoy everything. It is our happy place!!

I have stayed at all 3 premium properties plus Sapphire Falls and PBH is by far my families favorite! The kids love the pools and I love the extra space in the room.

So when you take the Hard Rock shortcut walk, do you literally walk through the parking lot? Or is there a path the entire way?

Literally through the parking lots until you come to the end. I had a bit of trouble finding the sidewalk at the end because some cars were blocking it, but it's there among the vegetation.
It is easier to find the path by first walking from the parks to PBH, instead of the other way. Just go left at the first fork and it will take you to the HRH parking lot. Head towards the front of the hotel and then go to the hotel exit. Cross the street to get to PBH and the path will get you there...

You can walk that way but that isn't the correct path.

The correct path goes along the river to HRH and then under the bridge to Portofino Bay. (That one you don't have to cross the street).

Also the ferry follows the river path.

There is really no reason to take the overland path across the street.

...unless you want to save 5-10 minutes by walking through a parking lot vs along a pretty meandering path...that's why it's a shortcut!

The crossing has a traffic light and a crosswalk, it's pretty easy to get across. I cross many streets every day without becoming road kill!

Last edited:
I prefer to walk to the parks and always stay at Royal Pacific, it’s one of my favorite hotels in Orlando. Unfortunately Portofino Bay is the only Premier resort that works for the budget for my September trip ($214 at PBR vs $369 at RPR). I’m checking daily but it looks like I will be at Portofino.

I’ve only stayed at Portofino once and that was over ten years ago. The decor is definitely not my cup of tea but the main downside then was all of the walking and stairs we had to navigate to get to the parks and pool. I was looking at the map and am thinking the West Wing would be best for me.

I’m a little disappointed about skipping RPR. Any Portofino fans out there to help me get excited about a stay there?

Thanks!
We stayed in January for a night. We had booked the minions suite, but it had a maintenance issue so they upgraded us to the Presidential Suite - once in a lifetime experience. So needless to say we are big Portofino fans lol. We found all of their staff very friendly and accommodating, and we loved the pool and dining.

You can walk that way but that isn't the correct path.

The correct path goes along the river to HRH and then under the bridge to Portofino Bay. (That one you don't have to cross the street).

Also the ferry follows the river path.

There is really no reason to take the overland path across the street.
That’s what we do too. I don’t want to be road kill! I’m on vacay and in no rush, besides the path is beautiful. If I’m tired I’ll take the boat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter