Portocath?

calpacagal

Earning My Ears
Will my 5 year old's portocath set off the metal detectors at the airport? I don't want anybody to freak him out at the airport! He's never flown before so he's not familiar with the routine. We talk it through but it's not the same as experiencing it. Will some sort of doctor's note help at the airport if needed?

Thanks so much!

It will set it off you just tell them what it is no biggy. If they ask to see it which I doubt they will they normally stick up a bit and they can see it but people have screws to hold bone together and fly all the time :-)
Have fun!

It may or may not set it off.
There was a thread from the past month asking about Port-a-caths where some people posted they had one and never set off the metal detector and others posted that theirs had.
I would be prepared that it might set off the metal detector and tell the secrity person before going thru the scanner. As long as you are prepared that it might go off, it's not bad. And, instead of going thru it, it is possible to be hand screened.
Here is what the Transportation Security website has to say about implants with meta (which would include Port-a-caths:

Pacemaker, Defibrillator, Other Implanted Medical Devices, and Metal Implants
If you have implanted medical device, that you would like to remain private and confidential, ask the TSO to please be discreet when assisting you through the screening process.
It is recommended (but not required) that individuals with a pacemaker carry a Pacemaker Identification Card (ID) when going through airport security. Show the TSO your pacemaker ID, if you have one, and ask the TSO to conduct a pat-down inspection rather than having you walk-through the metal detector or be handwanded.
It is recommended (but not required) that you advise the TSO that you have an implanted pacemaker, other implanted medical device, or metal implant and where that implant is located.
TSO will offer you a private screening once it becomes known that you have a metal implant or implanted medical device.
If your Doctor has indicated that you should not go through the metal detector or be handwanded because it could affect the functionality of your device or the magnetic calibration of your device, or if you are concerned, ask the TSO for a pat-down inspection instead.
TSOs will need to resolve all alarms associated with metal implants. Most alarms will be able to be resolved during a pat-down, therefore clothing will not be required to be removed or lifted as part of the inspection process.

This is a link to that page on their website if you want more information:
http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1376.xml

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter