Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2013, Part Three (NOW CLOSED, see 2014 thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Afternoon Everyone... Just popping on noticed I wasn't receiving updates on this thread figured I check in.

Wondering how loud the construction work is at Oak Manor. We have a royal room reserved for the beginning of April. Is it really loud during the day? I picked POR because I wanted a peaceful setting when we aren't at the parks. Should I change our reservations to another location? Really wanted to try out the royal rooms.

Also, are the bedspreads really gone? I've seen some videos on you tube from the past week where the blue ones are there. Not sure if they are old videos that were just uploaded this week or what.

Just returned from a stay in the RR at OAk Manor. We only stayed around the resort and room one day, but when we did, it was very loud. There is a lot of construction going on. If it was me, I would have switched to the Bayou if I had known about the work. Just my opinion.

3 weeks..... Then to the Bayou. :)

Weird thing happened. I paid off our resort stays and got a bill in the mail from Disney saying a deposit was due by a certain date. I called and they told me I was paid in full. So strange for them to send me a bill, when I have paid off my vacation.

Weird thing happened. I paid off our resort stays and got a bill in the mail from Disney saying a deposit was due by a certain date. I called and they told me I was paid in full. So strange for them to send me a bill, when I have paid off my vacation.

Happened to me too.:confused3

That is weird. But to add yo the weirdness, I got two sets of magic bands offered to us for our stay and we are not doing a split stay at all. So 6 different bands for three of us.

Leaving in 5 hours for the 9 hour drive to disney! :)

Feels like AGES ago when we first made our reservations in July for POR. Our first stay at a resort that isn't a value on disney property as a family.

I hope we can get the alligator bayou buildings. Requested it on reservation in july and sent in a fax last week.

Leaving in 5 hours for the 9 hour drive to disney! :)

Feels like AGES ago when we first made our reservations in July for POR. Our first stay at a resort that isn't a value on disney property as a family.

I hope we can get the alligator bayou buildings. Requested it on reservation in july and sent in a fax last week.

Sending some pixie dust :tinker: your way, hope you get your room request. Have fun.

You kinda have to be semi sneaky with where you stand to get on the bus. No Offense but a lot of guests kinda position themselves in the right area when they see a bus coming.
I found South Depot very annoying, :rolleyes1 people would just line up even when it wasn't their bus coming. So you stand there in line behind people who may or may not be getting on bus. Ugh. I only fell for that once :dance3:
All the other stops people would just sit on the bench, and when their bus came, got up and got on bus! We were in Acadian and preferred North Depot.

Yeah. Well, we did, but being a healthy adult male in his mid 40's, I gave my seat up for others because I should.

I don't mine standing at all, but these busses seemed to sardine people on them. It was strange, because the parks didn't seem as busy as past President week trips, but the POR busses were packed no matter what time you went on them...rope drop or not. It was surprising, because I had heard good things about the bus service. It was like roulette most of the time...you never knew where or when you were getting dopped off, and we had to wait very long times for busses all week long. It was really too bad, because POR is a beautiful resort, but the busses really left a bad taste in our mouths.

Oh well, I hope others have a better experience :thumbsup2
Funny how experiences differ. In my 4 POR stays, 99% of the time I found the transportation quite good. Only the occasional glitch that I've experienced at every resort I've stayed in. You know, the morning that 3 or 4 of every park bus comes BUT your bus!!!

I found South Depot very annoying, :rolleyes1 people would just line up even when it wasn't their bus coming. So you stand there in line behind people who may or may not be getting on bus. Ugh. I only fell for that once :dance3: All the other stops people would just sit on the bench, and when their bus came, got up and got on bus! We were in Acadian and preferred North Depot. Funny how experiences differ. In my 4 POR stays, 99% of the time I found the transportation quite good. Only the occasional glitch that I've experienced at every resort I've stayed in. You know, the morning that 3 or 4 of every park bus comes BUT your bus!!!

I agree about the South Depot. The West was by far the best (well, we only used south and west) less people and it seemed to be the first stop for *most* of the buses.

:wave2:

I found South Depot very annoying, :rolleyes1 people would just line up even when it wasn't their bus coming. So you stand there in line behind people who may or may not be getting on bus. Ugh. I only fell for that once :dance3:
All the other stops people would just sit on the bench, and when their bus came, got up and got on bus! We were in Acadian and preferred North Depot.

Funny how experiences differ. In my 4 POR stays, 99% of the time I found the transportation quite good. Only the occasional glitch that I've experienced at every resort I've stayed in. You know, the morning that 3 or 4 of every park bus comes BUT your bus!!!

I am sorry. I agree that a lot are just in a rush to get to the parks.

I think you've got it, EpcotBill. My guess is that an MBA somewhere in Disney management is trying to make his or her 2014 bonus based on the performance of his or her business unit that includes POR or the marinas, and the low margins at the POR marina may be in the way of that performance bonus.

I think you've got it, EpcotBill. My guess is that an MBA somewhere in Disney management is trying to make his or her 2014 bonus based on the performance of his or her business unit that includes POR or the marinas, and the low margins at the POR marina may be in the way of that performance bonus.

Sadly, you could well be right. It's a real shame though, as that indefinable, but often extolled, "Disney Magic" is mostly made up of series of relatively small elements which in themselves are not directly profit-generating, or even often commented upon, but which when put together make Walt Disney World distinct from almost anywhere else. And every little bit that gets chipped away diminishes the whole thing. And what's next? Well that big water wheel thing outside the food court doesn't make any money, let's get rid of that for starters...

As I've said on my site, I though Disney was meant to be all about "plussing" their parks and resorts, not "minussing".

I'll be thinking of all the cast members who have worked on that area over the last 20+ years, as the last of the fleet sails off into the sunset tonight and another little bit of the magic dies forever. :(

Andre

Arriving in 19 days (who's counting) Daughters and I would love to do carriage ride some evening during our stay. Should I have already booked this? wasn't sure which nite we wouldnt be at parks till late so didn't book anything, is walk up probably available or will we be out of luck?
First time on site sooooo excited (and its -36 C plus wind chill at home, get me out of here!)

Arriving in 19 days (who's counting) Daughters and I would love to do carriage ride some evening during our stay. Should I have already booked this? wasn't sure which nite we wouldnt be at parks till late so didn't book anything, is walk up probably available or will we be out of luck?

You should be fine. Might be an idea to book it as soon as you've got a better idea of the date you want to ride though (even if you only decide while you're there) as same-day walk-ups are not always possible.

Andre

my daughter is now old enough to drive a boat with me in it and we planned to rent a Sea Raycer a couple of times during our upcoming March 2014 visit.

Yes, it's really sad. I mentioned it to a couple of friends of mine who live over there and they headed over to POR this morning and are on a pontoon boat right now going for a final trip along the Sassagoula.

There are times when the whole Atlantic Ocean thing is a real drag... :(

Andre

Sadly, you could well be right. It's a real shame though, as that indefinable, but often extolled, "Disney Magic" is mostly made up of series of relatively small elements which in themselves are not directly profit-generating, or even often commented upon, but which when put together make Walt Disney World distinct from almost anywhere else. And every little bit that gets chipped away diminishes the whole thing. And what's next? Well that big water wheel thing outside the food court doesn't make any money, let's get rid of that for starters...

As I've said on my site, I though Disney was meant to be all about "plussing" their parks and resorts, not "minussing".

I'll be thinking of all the cast members who have worked on that area over the last 20+ years, as the last of the fleet sails off into the sunset tonight and another little bit of the magic dies forever. :(

Andre

Yeah, all the things that have gone away recently; Miyuki, the Ziti Sisters, PUSH, sunset point at Poly, it all adds up to less magic and there's no end in sight. I can't tell you how many posts I've read on different threads where someone says "this makes me sad". There shouldn't be any sad in Walt Disney World, just like there's no crying in baseball.

Sadly, you could well be right. It's a real shame though, as that indefinable, but often extolled, "Disney Magic" is mostly made up of series of relatively small elements which in themselves are not directly profit-generating, or even often commented upon, but which when put together make Walt Disney World distinct from almost anywhere else.
Andre

Such small elements are what made eleven year old me fall in love with Walt Disney World in 1979 during my one visit there as a child. When my girlfriend (now wife) and I discovered Dixie Landings in 1997, we found our favorite place in the world. As you wrote, it is a series of things, many of which are small, that make Walt Disney World such a pleasant happy place.

Yes, it's really sad. I mentioned it to a couple of friends of mine who live over there and they headed over to POR this morning and are on a pontoon boat right now going for a final trip along the Sassagoula.

There are times when the whole Atlantic Ocean thing is a real drag... :(

Andre

Good for your friends to be able to make such a quick visit. I hope they enjoy their last boat ride at POR!

Yes the Atlantic Ocean thing must be a drag when you love Riverside as much as you do. I live in Ottawa, Canada, the closest major Canadian city to Florida...it is a 23 hour drive (plus stops) from my house to Riverside; but that is still not close enough...I would like to live in Florida. I like and admire America.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter