Port Orleans Riverside Or Gran Destino Tower?

Once.Upon.A.Time

DIS Veteran
Hi all, having a hard deciding on resort for upcoming (hopefully) Disney vacation. So far, I've stayed at CBR and CSR. Loved CSR. My husband also loved it. Now I'm having a rough time deciding between CSR Gran Destino Tower and Port Orleans Riverside. For the dates we are thinking Port Orleans Riverside is about $100 less. One part of me wants to try somewhere new, one part of me loves the look of the Gran Destino Tower. I was also considering Swan and Dolphin, but I'm afraid if only resort guests are allowed in parks. Thank you again!

Last edited:
Well right off, I'm not a CSR fan. I don't really like the aesthetic. Nor am I a fan of any room with a plastic floor. And I'm a huge fan of POR. POR is my go to resort, until recently it was where I stayed for at least a weekend a month, or at least it's where I usually stayed. The grounds and the overall theming are great, the rooms are carpeted, the staff seems nicer than CSR (probably just a subjective bias). And the GDT rooms seem much less Disney-ish.

That said ... the GDT rooms look nice, and the Skyliner close at hand is definitely a huge plus. I won't ever steer someone away from POR, but If you want to play it safe, you already know you like CSR and the Skyliner might be enough to put you over the edge.

Well right off, I'm not a CSR fan. I don't really like the aesthetic. Nor am I a fan of any room with a plastic floor. And I'm a huge fan of POR. POR is my go to resort, until recently it was where I stayed for at least a weekend a month, or at least it's where I usually stayed. The grounds and the overall theming are great, the rooms are carpeted, the staff seems nicer than CSR (probably just a subjective bias). And the GDT rooms seem much less Disney-ish.

That said ... the GDT rooms look nice, and the Skyliner close at hand is definitely a huge plus. I won't ever steer someone away from POR, but If you want to play it safe, you already know you like CSR and the Skyliner might be enough to put you over the edge.

Thank you. There’s a skyliner now at CSR?

I have not stayed at POR. But my friend and I stayed at CSR gran destino tower back in January and loved it! We thought the resort was beautiful. We had a water view with our room. We personally loved the theme and feel of the resort. However, it doesn't have bright colors, or characters all over the place. Think vegas style hotel. If I ever go back to WDW, I def want to stay there again.

With that said, if you are a big fan of the skyliner, you may not be fond of CSR bus system. We didn't have any issues with getting on a bus, but since the Gran Destino tower is the last pick up location before leaving to the park, buses will already have people on them.

I have not stayed at POR. But my friend and I stayed at CSR gran destino tower back in January and loved it! We thought the resort was beautiful. We had a water view with our room. We personally loved the theme and feel of the resort. However, it doesn't have bright colors, or characters all over the place. Think vegas style hotel. If I ever go back to WDW, I def want to stay there again.

With that said, if you are a big fan of the skyliner, you may not be fond of CSR bus system. We didn't have any issues with getting on a bus, but since the Gran Destino tower is the last pick up location before leaving to the park, buses will already have people on them.

Thank you. I’ve never used the skyliners before. We don’t mind the buses. But I’m sure the skyliners are a game changer.

Thank you. I’ve never used the skyliners before. We don’t mind the buses. But I’m sure the skyliners are a game changer.

If you decide on POR, the buses run through alligator bayou and then the mansions area. I prefer the alligator bayou theming and the buses making their first stops in that area.

We were there for 4 days. We thought about riding it just to see, but didn't have time. It looks cool!

Yeah the bus was fine for us. Like I said in my original post, we had no issues with it. They arrived on time, weren't overly packed, etc. But I have heard that is a big complaint among people who have stayed at CSR and the tower.

Was at Yacht Club in December and rode Skyliner from EPCOT over to Hollywood Studios. It was quite nice and the 8 of us had a gondola to ourselves. Carribean Beach resort is comparable to POR, but I prefer the POR theming and easier Disney Springs access.

Was at Yacht Club in December and rode Skyliner from EPCOT over to Hollywood Studios. It was quite nice and the 8 of us had a gondola to ourselves. Carribean Beach resort is comparable to POR, but I prefer the POR theming and easier Disney Springs access.

Thank you. One of the main reasons for confusion is we love CSR, but want to try the tower, on the other hand we want to try something new, like POR.

No question, Destino tower.
The rooms are much larger, the resort tower is beautiful, so many dining and lounge options. The only reason I could imagine choosing Riverside over the Destino tower would be if you needed the fifth sleeper.

No question, Destino tower.
The rooms are much larger, the resort tower is beautiful, so many dining and lounge options. The only reason I could imagine choosing Riverside over the Destino tower would be if you needed the fifth sleeper.

Thank you. We don’t. It’s just my husband and I.

I wasn’t crazy about CBR, what would you say if comparable about POR and CBR?

The only thing comparable really is the layout, low level buildings spread along a circular road. the rooms have a similar layout but different theming. i love the alligator bayou section of POR, far more than anthing at CBR.

Thank you. We don’t. It’s just my husband and I.
Another thing to add. I do think Gran Destino Tower is good for parties without children. There were families there obviously, but the design and decor of the tower doesn't look "disney", but for us we didn't mind because the decor was so pretty.

Another thing to add. I do think Gran Destino Tower is good for parties without children. There were families there obviously, but the design and decor of the tower doesn't look "disney", but for us we didn't mind because the decor was so pretty.

Thank you. I’m leaning towards the tower, but not sure yet.

We were Deluxe Resort people in the past, but we stayed at GDT in Sept. It was great and is our new go to from now on. We also prefer a hotel setting where we don't have to venture outside to enter our rooms, but that's just us.
The rooms are as nice if not nicer than most of the deluxe resort on property and the lobby area of the hotel and the views from the rooms on either side are some of the best at WDW. You can either choose to look across the lake or choose to overlook EPCOT and HS at night and see the fireworks. The location is minutes away from AK, HS and EPCOT and less than 10 minutes to DS. Being 3 or 4 minutes closer to anywhere just doesn't move the needle for us when it comes to staying in nicer accommodations. Literally you are talking a 5-10 minute Uber ride to anywhere in WDW other than MK area which is no more than 15 minutes from GDT.
The restaurants are good and we love 3 Bridges Bar and Grill out on the lake. Below is a picture we took while dining outside on the deck in Sept.
Gran Destino.jpg

POR was our first resort we ever stayed at, GDT was the last one. Liked them both, but GDT was so much more luxe... it was incredible with subtle Disney theming. We LOVED it! I think you should try GDT.

We were Deluxe Resort people in the past, but we stayed at GDT in Sept. It was great and is our new go to from now on. We also prefer a hotel setting where we don't have to venture outside to enter our rooms, but that's just us.
The rooms are as nice if not nicer than most of the deluxe resort on property and the lobby area of the hotel and the views from the rooms on either side are some of the best at WDW. You can either choose to look across the lake or choose to overlook EPCOT and HS at night and see the fireworks. The location is minutes away from AK, HS and EPCOT and less than 10 minutes to DS. Being 3 or 4 minutes closer to anywhere just doesn't move the needle for us when it comes to staying in nicer accommodations. Literally you are talking a 5-10 minute Uber ride to anywhere in WDW other than MK area which is no more than 15 minutes from GDT.
The restaurants are good and we love 3 Bridges Bar and Grill out on the lake. Below is a picture we took while dining outside on the deck in Sept.
View attachment 489638

Thank you. Last time we were there, they were building the tower. It looks beautiful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter