Port Orleans French Quarter Trip Report

Poohbear03

Mouseketeer
We stayed at French Quarter from 9/2-9/9. We were nervous at first looking at the weather reports, it looked like 60% or more of rain everyday but it hardly rained at all. Maybe a few showers here or there but nothing that was a big deal, and yes it was hot...but it is Florida in September :) We loved the resort and the room. It had been 8 years since we have been to Disney World. The resort was so charming and loved the jazz music in the background. We were in building 7 garden view 3rd floor. We loved having the one bus stop and the food court was great. We did opt out of mouse keeping which was not a problem for us at all. We just took our trash and emptied it in the larger trash can beside the elevator. When we needed fresh towels we just called and they brought them right up to us. I would stay here again. We never encountered anyone being rude. Everyone including guest were always very nice at the resort and parks. I did have Fast Passes for all the new rides, loved them all! We even got lucky and got front row on 7DMT and 2nd row on Slinky Dog. We played golf one day at the Magnolia Course, what a beautiful course.

The things I didn't like....I liked the old version of Downtown Disney better than Disney Springs....I miss the charm, it is really commercialized now...I don't know why but I felt like this trip was less magical than my other two over the past 12 years. Don't get me wrong we had a wonderful time but for the price and value we may try something different next time. I think my two favorite parks are HS and MK. At Animal Kingdom I liked the old Safari ride better. It was more like an adventure/ride now it is just an educational ride. I know everyone is different and will have different opinions but these are just mine.

We are looking forward to our first stay at FQ next week. It looks just lovely.

I have to agree. I miss the old downtown Disney. We don't really go to DS anymore unless its for a quick meal, in and out.

Glad you enjoyed POFQ, it's our favorite Mod:) We still like DS, but you are correct, it is now so much more commercialized. Our family totally agree's with you about the Safari ride, it was so much more fun when we were chasing the poachers.

13 Days until we return home. Can't wait! One of our favorite things to do is take the boat to Disney Springs. It is just so relaxing.

I liked your review of French Quarter. DH and I will be staying there for the third time Nov-Dec 2018.

We only know the current version of safari. What was the old version like?

I agree about the safari; the old one we tried to catch the "poachers", and it was so cute saving the baby elephant.

I also totally agree about Downtown Disney! To me it's now a huge shopping mall. We liked Pleasure Island years ago (visited twice including our honeymoon 25 years ago). It had so much character! Never made it to the New Years Eve that was done nightly, but it sounded awesome. The nightclubs were like Disney for adults, with fun drinks and the entertainment! Loved Adventurer's Club the one time we popped in, and the little club with the revolving dance floor. It was easier to navigate too. Last time I went to the new Disney Springs (spring of 2017), I swore I'd never bother again. I just don't get it; I shop online whenever possible (which is almost all the time), as I hate shopping! The restaurants are fine, but I can find enough really decent places to eat at the parks and resorts. Bus service is atrocious!

My best friend honeymooned at French Quarter, and she and her husband loved it. I've never stayed there, but it sounds lovely. Still, I prefer a deluxe resort or a value, depending on whom I'm traveling with. But Disney deluxe now are so overpriced.

I liked your review of French Quarter. DH and I will be staying there for the third time Nov-Dec 2018.

We only know the current version of safari. What was the old version like?
In the older Safari, towards the end of the ride, your tour bus becomes part of the chase to track down poachers that are trying to steal a baby elephant (Lil Red). The story line was very hoakie, but we really liked it because you would get bounced around during the chase. Our DDs loved it and we always were laughing through the chase because of being bounced around:) Lil Red was saved at the end.
2379456867_140c9b31d9_z.jpg

So glad you shared this. I’ve been on the fence about making our arrival day a day at Disney springs. After all these comments I think we’ll just hang out at the resort (POR) and swim all day till dinner. I don’t want to be on vacation and hang out at a mall 8-)

We stayed at French Quarter from 9/2-9/9. We were nervous at first looking at the weather reports, it looked like 60% or more of rain everyday but it hardly rained at all. Maybe a few showers here or there but nothing that was a big deal, and yes it was hot...but it is Florida in September :) We loved the resort and the room. It had been 8 years since we have been to Disney World. The resort was so charming and loved the jazz music in the background. We were in building 7 garden view 3rd floor. We loved having the one bus stop and the food court was great. We did opt out of mouse keeping which was not a problem for us at all. We just took our trash and emptied it in the larger trash can beside the elevator. When we needed fresh towels we just called and they brought them right up to us. I would stay here again. We never encountered anyone being rude. Everyone including guest were always very nice at the resort and parks. I did have Fast Passes for all the new rides, loved them all! We even got lucky and got front row on 7DMT and 2nd row on Slinky Dog. We played golf one day at the Magnolia Course, what a beautiful course.

The things I didn't like....I liked the old version of Downtown Disney better than Disney Springs....I miss the charm, it is really commercialized now...I don't know why but I felt like this trip was less magical than my other two over the past 12 years. Don't get me wrong we had a wonderful time but for the price and value we may try something different next time. I think my two favorite parks are HS and MK. At Animal Kingdom I liked the old Safari ride better. It was more like an adventure/ride now it is just an educational ride. I know everyone is different and will have different opinions but these are just mine.
We returned a week ago from a 9 night stay. We stayed at CSR but we have stayed at French Quarters in the past and it is a charming resort. It's funny because my husband and I both commented that something was not quite right this trip. We didn't even go to Disney Springs as we were there in February and decided the appeal is now lost. I thought they were going so fast on the Safari ride (we rode in a couple of times). It just wasn't as enjoyable. We also felt as we were being rushed at Ohana and Teppan Edo. I know Coral Reef gets an unfavorable review at times, but we found it wonderful. The food was great and we were not rushed. Again, I agree that something was simply missing this trip.

We will be staying at POFQ in November (first time, can't wait!) and have no plans to go to DS. I prefer online shopping and have tons of great indoor and outdoor shopping malls in my area. So it holds no appeal to me.

I do prefer the old safari also.

So excited....we now have less than a month until we arrive at POFQ! We check in on October 14.

Our first stay at POFQ was this past Feb/March. We found it to be really nice. We are going again this December at POFQ.
We like POR much better, but won't stay there until they stop the dog friendly rooms over there. Love dogs, dont' want to vacation with other peoples pets. Would like to one day go back to POR, but not now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter