Port Orleans: French Quarter or Riverside??

BigBadDisneyDad

Mouseketeer
I've never stayed at PO and we're planning on doing a split stay at PO for the first half. Which one is better, and why do you think so?

We have stayed at French Quarter. This is the smallest resort on property. No matter where you stay, you are close to everything. French Quarter has one dedicated bus stop. It has the ferry boat transportation to Disney Springs.

Never stayed at Riverside, however there are multiple bus stops.

The resorts are considered "sister" resorts. This means you can use the amenities at both resorts.

Last edited:

They are both nice, but FQ is much smaller and Riverside is more sprawling. The multiple bus stops at Riverside can be a problem at times. We were in a section that was the second to last stop. My wife was in an ECV and she could not board several buses that came because they were already full or nearly full.

We’ve stayed at Riverside many times and just had our first stay at FQ this past April. Loved it because it’s so small. Only one bus stop, and we found a shortcut from building 4 to get to it. If you ask my son what he loved about FQ, his answer would be the beignets!

POR was our home resort for many years. Then they accepted dogs and we didn't want to deal with that, so we gave FQ a try. We really like POFQ for the above reasons, but we are older and have mobility issues.
However, we love and miss POR. I don't know just why, but we love the total package; the atmosphere, the mansions with their manicured lawns, the tropical trees and foliage of the Bayou, the Mill, and it has the best store in all of WDW, IMO. They have heehaw Bob too, which is a plus.
Because of mobility issues we will probably keep staying at POFQ, but we definitely like POR more.
I guess it's all a personal preference. They are both great!

POR was our home resort for many years. Then they accepted dogs and we didn't want to deal with that, so we gave FQ a try. We really like POFQ for the above reasons, but we are older and have mobility issues.
However, we love and miss POR. I don't know just why, but we love the total package; the atmosphere, the mansions with their manicured lawns, the tropical trees and foliage of the Bayou, the Mill, and it has the best store in all of WDW, IMO. They have heehaw Bob too, which is a plus.
Because of mobility issues we will probably keep staying at POFQ, but we definitely like POR more.
I guess it's all a personal preference. They are both great!
A great point I missed ~ POR now allows dogs.

I absolutely adore French Quarter. The hotel is extremely intimate and you truly feel like you're somewhere other than WDW property. The newly refurbed food court has a surprisingly deep menu for breakfast as well as lunch and dinner. Another bonus? Just one bus stop, which is right outside the lobby and a very short walk from every building at the resort. My family always receives amazing service from cast members in the lobby, food court, gift shop, and everywhere in between. I really can't praise French Quarter enough.

I have stayed at both and preferred FQ for the reasons everyone else has said (1 bus stop, smaller, etc.) plus if you want to see riverside you can take the boat or walk over.

Last edited:
I prefer each for different reasons. Our POR stay in December was good; really enjoyed the royal rooms and the variety of pools was great! (99% of the time we had a pool to ourselves. We also did a pool tour one afternoon and tried all of the Alligator Bayou section pools as well as the 2nd quiet pool in Magnolia Bend.) So, for variety of pools, I vote POR. (Single pool at FQ can be emptier late at night, but it is the only pool at the resort, so you never know.)

However, we were so unimpressed with the POR food court that we made the trek to FQ for meals.

So I vote FQ for meals, smaller size and cute themeing (streets, etc.). The single bus stop here is also a bonus, but the buses can share with POR.

Both have boat access to DS which is a nice plus.

In the end I guess it comes down to what you are looking for during your stay. Both have nice amenities and make for comfortable stays!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter