Port Excursion required for under 12 at Castaway Cay??

GatorMomInNC

DIS Veteran
I was just looking at the DCL rules and I am a little confused. For kids under 12 (all currently unvaccinated of course) it appears you have to purchase a port excursion to go ashore. Is that true with Castaway Cay also? Taking my 6 year old nephew on his first cruise, first time to the beach and just planned to hang out on Castaway Cay but don't want him to not be able to get off the boat when we get there.

I don't know specifically in the case of Disney, but I have heard several cruise lines are doing this, ostensibly so they can track where you were while on shore.

Castaway is exempt from that rule as while Bahamian it’s not releasing guests into the ‘general population’ we sailed ‘technically’ under that rule last week (only docked at Castaway) and no mention was ever made about it onboard (we have a 4 year old so it applies to us)

I don't know specifically in the case of Disney, but I have heard several cruise lines are doing this, ostensibly so they can track where you were while on shore.
Yes, and it looks like that is required on DCL, but on Castaway Cay you would only be near guests on the same ship and crew AND you would be outdoors so I was hoping that would be an exception....

Castaway is exempt from that rule as while Bahamian it’s not releasing guests into the ‘general population’ we sailed ‘technically’ under that rule last week (only docked at Castaway) and no mention was ever made about it onboard (we have a 4 year old so it applies to us)
Phew, great thanks!

When you think about it, all of Castaway Cay is one big DCL excursion--you are only interacting with other cruise guests and Disney staff. From another thread, I believe they are cancelling excursions that involve off-island vendors like parasail--which may be how they are getting around the issue. I have not yet booked any CC excursion, but if I get on the ship in three weeks and find out I have to, I'll simply book the float/tube rental "port adventure" for $13. Problem solved.

if I get on the ship in three weeks and find out I have to, I'll simply book the float/tube rental "port adventure" for $13. Problem solved.
[/QUOTE]

Might I recommend renting bikes? It was such a fun change of pace to see the whole island loop, including stopping at a tower to climb up and see the view. They had several size bikes, we were two adults and one 8 year old. We actually did the Getaway Package, which is combo snorkel, float bike rental.

If you end up deciding you want or need a shore excursion for a small child, they tend to love glass bottom boat tours and the stingray adventure since it's a cool animal encounter in the ocean.

Might I recommend renting bikes? It was such a fun change of pace to see the whole island loop, including stopping at a tower to climb up and see the view. They had several size bikes, we were two adults and one 8 year old. We actually did the Getaway Package, which is combo snorkel, float bike rental.
If you end up deciding you want or need a shore excursion for a small child, they tend to love glass bottom boat tours and the stingray adventure since it's a cool animal encounter in the ocean.
These are good suggestions—my problem is I don’t WANT a real excursion. I want to be lazy and have a Konk Kooler (or two… or three) on the beach and read a book while my kids build sand castles and I listen to the sound of the ocean waves. We spend soooo many vacations that center on activities for the kids (in the past year have done three disney parks/universal trips and they were all exhausting) so DH and I just want to be lazy parents on an island paradise for just one day. :cloud9:

We have glass bottom boat on one CC day anyway.
For Ray's DGS is too young, so he will just be playing

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter