Port arrival time with DCL bus?

dlin2011

Earning My Ears
I know you don’t need a PAT if taking DCL transfers, but about what time does that get you to the port?

It depends where you are coming from. If it is from a WDW resort, there is one pickup time, usually between 10:30AM and 1PM. The bus might cover multiple resorts. You will get to port between 11:30AM and 2PM depending on your specific routing.

If coming from MCO airport, you can board anytime between 9AM and 1PM, on a first come, first served basis. The busses leave when they are filled and take 45 min to get to PC.

The first time taking the bus last year from Port Orleans, I was nervous not knowing the time in advance. We asked the day before at the resort and they said to expect the bus at 11:00am and get to lobby at 10:30am. This helped us plan a bit before hand. We got on boat around 12:45pm. Super easy and convenient, but needed to know time ahead of time so we could quickly uber to an early church mass.

On our last DCL cruise, the bus that brought us to PC broke down. They had to call another bus and move us into the new bus. We arrived in port around 2:30 PM.

In March 2018, we got a bus from Pop Century. I think we were picked up at noon. It just depends on the day - who needs to get picked up from which resorts.

It just depends on the day - who needs to get picked up from which resorts.
Yes. Since they don't know the total numbers requiring transportation, and from which resorts, those schedules are not planned out until the day prior. They plan the pickups to most efficiently fill the buses before they head to the port.

Yes. Since they don't know the total numbers requiring transportation, and from which resorts, those schedules are not planned out until the day prior. They plan the pickups to most efficiently fill the buses before they head to the port.

I imagine there are often at least a few first-time cruisers who don't how it works and assume it operates like the park buses (or at least like the airport buses that leave more less continuously), so just show up a day or to before the cruise at their WDW hotel without a reservation. I expect there is a lot of day-before reshuffling as a result.

To OP's original question, we've taken the bus twice. The first time we were picked up at 11, were the last resort stop, and arrived a little after 1pm. The second time we were picked up at 12, had multiple stops at other resorts, and arrived around 2pm.

I really wanted to try the DCL bus from our resort to the terminal, but I keep hearing how most arrived around 2pm. I booked private transportation today so we could arrive around noon.

First time we took the DCL bus from POP~ we were picked up at noon and boarded the ship around 1:20
The second time we took the DCL bus from POFQ~ we were picked up at 12:30, went to 2 additional resorts for pick up and didn't board the ship until a little after 2.
Would love to find a resort that gets picked up first available :)

I really wanted to try the DCL bus from our resort to the terminal, but I keep hearing how most arrived around 2pm. I booked private transportation today so we could arrive around noon.
Im thinking of doing the same, what private transportation are you using? Uber?

I use William Murphy who does a lot of transports around Disney. He's on a social media site, but I can't list it here. He is reasonable and safe and I've used him the lasts 2 trips.

I found that I didn't mind arriving a little later. There were very few people in the port, so we got checked in and walked right on the boat. No waiting in lines. Also, if you arrive after 1:30, your room should be ready so you can drop off any carry-on bags you might have.

The flip side of that is that you miss out on a couple of hours on the ship.

Happy sailing!

I found that I didn't mind arriving a little later. There were very few people in the port, so we got checked in and walked right on the boat. No waiting in lines. Also, if you arrive after 1:30, your room should be ready so you can drop off any carry-on bags you might have.

The flip side of that is that you miss out on a couple of hours on the ship.

Happy sailing!

I don't mind arriving later, our first time, we got a noon PAT and that was perfect so I'm having us arrive around that time and hopefully just walk on the ship again. I'm just reading more stories of people arriving closer to 3 and that is what I don't want. We used a Minnie van on our last trip and the drive told us they arrived to late to eat lunch and he would never take the DCL bus again, that's what made me book our own transport.

If you reserved transportation and are flying Southwest Airlines, do we have to pick up our luggage and take to the bus or will they pick it up since they have tags on them?
Thanks

If you reserved transportation and are flying Southwest Airlines, do we have to pick up our luggage and take to the bus or will they pick it up since they have tags on them?
Thanks
You have to get your own luggage for a cruise. Southwest is not one of the airlines that has the direct luggage transfer to DCL. It does for Magical Express to the parks but not to the port. The tags are for once you check in at the port to get your bags to the room.

You have to get your own luggage for a cruise. Southwest is not one of the airlines that has the direct luggage transfer to DCL. It does for Magical Express to the parks but not to the port. The tags are for once you check in at the port to get your bags to the room.

I thought the DCL tags did work the same. But just like DME you have to trust that the workers handling the bags before or after the flight and/or the airport machines don’t pull them off.

I thought the DCL tags did work the same. But just like DME you have to trust that the workers handling the bags before or after the flight and/or the airport machines don’t pull them off.
For the airlines that participate? Or is that only returning and arriving it doesn't matter? I've been so focused on my return because I'm going to parks first! I'm sorry if I led astray!

Last edited:
For the airlines that participate? Or is that only returning and arriving it doesn't matter? I've been so focused on my return because I'm going to parks first! I'm sorry if I led astray!

I have always understood that is only returning where airline matters.

But you would have to basically pay for my flight and cruise and give me spending money to get me anywhere near Southwest after two horrendous experiences, so I do not know 100% about them. I always understood that if you have the Disney tag - either DME or DCL - that they are pulled by the people contracted with Disney and directed to the correct truck before they even make it to the conveyor belt regardless of what airline you use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter