POR FQ vs Riverside

I've stayed at both and while I honestly didn't find much of a difference given the similar theme, I preferred FQ. I liked the atmosphere and we had great experiences with the staff (as expected, but I remember the CM's at FQ standing out). Riverside had a nice pasta station at the food court, I can't remember if FQ had though, and Riverside has the famous YeeHaw Bob piano player. Remember that whichever one you stay at, it's a quick walk to the other.

We just got back and I loved French Quarter! We stayed at the Beach Club last summer and was a little worried I wouldn't like it as much after staying at a deluxe. I actually liked it more (except for the pool and proximity to Epcot). I thought it was charming and so pretty. Everything was in close proximity - food court, gift shop, pool, bus stop. So easy to get to everything. I loved the quaint courtyards, fountains and cobblestone streets, especially at night. Plus, the buses were great. We never waited more than 10 minutes for a bus and coming back, even when we shared with POR, French Quarter was the first stop. My kids (10 year old twins), however, preferred Riverside and thought POFQ was a little boring. They thought the POR pool was better and seemed to think there was more to do. That was them - I was just fine with the "quiet vibe" of POFQ. It's great that you can use both resorts and pools, but POFQ is my favorite.

You really can't go wrong with either. We've done both (and also Beach Club as PP). I prefer FQ over Riverside for the small size and quaint feel. And oh the beignets in the food court! But POR is so lush and beautiful and has Yeehaw Bob and table service right there if that matters. I took some morning jogs from one resort to another and back and realized how much I like them both.

POR has the advantage of sleeping 5 in a room. Could be a big $$ difference for families of that size. I like the trundle beds in Alligator Bayou so that the kids don't have to sleep in the same bed.... makes for a more peaceful night's sleep! :)

I love both! But I prefer Riverside for the more relaxing atmosphere, amenities, food court (the best IMO), Royal Rooms, main pool w/ a better slide and I love Fultons General Store at POR. You really can't go wrong with either- lots of people like FQ because of the small size and lots of people go for POR because the AB rooms sleep 5 people.

Thanks for posting this. I have a room booked at POFQ for January and am waiting for discounts. I am willing to switch to POR if we can get a discount. I'm just happy to be going back and know that if there is a possibility of the murphy bed for a little one it would make the trip soooo much better because we have a better chance for good sleep.

Have stayed at both. POR is our second favorite moderate and I might go back to FQ but it would have to be a GREAT price.

- Both have use of the boat to DS.
- They are sister resorts so you can use each other's pools ... if you want to trek back and forth.
- Both have the same size rooms and room amenities.
- POR has half it's resort with rooms that sleep 5, if the 5th is small person.
- POR has the Royal Guest Rooms that are decorated above and beyond.
- Both have wonderful exterior imagineering all tied to a wonderful story.
- Sometimes they share a bus, sometimes they don't.
- Both have lounges with entertainment but POR's Yeehaw Bob is one of WDW's best entertainers.
- POFQ is not a full service moderate yet they charge as much and often do not discount it.
- POFQ does not have a table service restaurant.
- POFQ has no quiet pools.
- POFQ hot tub is small, not much different than mine at home.
- POFQ food court is fun with great Mardi Gras decor but it's very small with much more limited menu.
- POFQ is a smaller resort with tall buildings so good chance for a short walk to main hub and single bus stop.
- But the farthest POFQ rooms are still a decent walk.
- POFQ is popular with older guests and families with young children, which is ironic considering the French Quarter theme. For us it was almost too quiet.

POFQ has many fans so it stays busy and booked and therefore supply and demand gets them the price. BUT for us it is not worth the price and at Disney rates, I'm going to stay at a resort that provides us with more amenities and we don't have to travel next door for them.

I love both of these resorts equally because each has something I prefer over the other. I prefer the food court at POR and the quiet pools which FQ is missing. I like the size of FQ and that the pool is so close to the main building. You can't go wrong with either resort!

POFQ!!! But really, I would say its quieter, but you are technically at the same resort....so you can use both resorts' amenities.....you really can't beat the beignets for breakfast! And I have never needed a table service at a moderate hotel, there are so many better options at the parks where I am actually going......also a standard room at POFQ is so much better location than you could possibly get at POR....you don't ever have to worry about being in Egypt away from the main buildings.....

I'd have to go POFQ as well. The quiet really gets it above and beyond. The small size makes it easy to walk to the food court and bus stop even from the furthest buildings. POR has multiple bus stops, but POFQ just has the one, so unless a bus is being shared between the two resorts (rare) you never have to worry about it showing up without a place to sit. The staff is great and the pool is great too. Small but Scales (the sea serpent slide) is lots of fun and the marshmallow roasting is great too.

For us quiet and compact is the way to go (couple in their 20s), but to each their own.

I'd have to go POFQ as well. The quiet really gets it above and beyond. The small size makes it easy to walk to the food court and bus stop even from the furthest buildings. POR has multiple bus stops, but POFQ just has the one, so unless a bus is being shared between the two resorts (rare) you never have to worry about it showing up without a place to sit. The staff is great and the pool is great too. Small but Scales (the sea serpent slide) is lots of fun and the marshmallow roasting is great too.

For us quiet and compact is the way to go (couple in their 20s), but to each their own.

marshmallow roasting? I want some!

POFQ for us, too. The size is a major factor for us (2 seniors). But so is the friendliness of the staff. Surly CMs (multiple) at POR on our last stay was a major turn off. Love the theme at FQ as well. We usually walk over to POR one or two times in a trip for the food court, as a change of pace. In 20 years, we've only done Boatwrights once. Yee Haw Bob is nice to see, but you don't need to be staying there to see the show.

The only drawback to FQ is the lack of discounts. We've been lucky enough to have gotten pin codes that we could use there a couple of times.

marshmallow roasting? I want some!

Check the times guide (it varies by month) and go to the courtyard where they show movies (between buildings 3, 4, and 5). They'll provide marshmallows, sticks and of course the fire for roasting. As long as the fire can burn it's on (it started to sprinkle when we went and it continued) every night :)

POFQ for me! OP - I think you have been given some great advice here, I would have to say that a lot of your decision could be dependent on your plans, your age, your health (ie any physical issues to consider) and if you have kids going. POFQ is smaller so for me, its so much better to get around due to the size of the resort. The pool is nice there but as others pointed out, there are no quiet pools there but you can use the pools at POR . I think kids would enjoy POR more but I thought the kids at POFQ were having a great time at the pool there :) The food court at POR is larger but I was very happy with POFQ offerings. I have not eaten at the TS location at POR - nothing that interested me.

Both are nice and relaxing but if you have younger kids you might want to try Riverside. There are more options for them to do and more options for places to eat. I prefer French quarter because I'm going without children and I want a quieter, more relaxed place to stay. FQ has food and a pool too but is limited in what they have to offer kids. can't go wrong with either! HAVE FUN!

We prefer POR. Different perspective, but for us, POFQ was so compact that it felt crowded. The smallness of the resort is a draw for people so the resort is always at or near capacity (this also means its often exempt from discounts). But because of that, we always saw people everywhere so the pool, food court, and bus stop always felt crowded to us. The look/feel of the resort also had a city vibe which contributed to that feeling, and that is of course intentional with the French Quarter theme.

POR feels more tranquil and quieter to us. It's larger and more spread out, so we didn't see as many people and the quiet pools were usually relatively empty. Food court was also much better, IMO.

I did a split stay at both a few months ago and loved both equally. POFQ is much smaller & the grounds at POR are prettier. POR has a better main pool IMO.

have stayed at both but we prefer FQ because of the size of the resort. but yes the food court is not the biggest or best however it is just a 8 min or so walkover to RS and you can enjoy all there amenities including their restaurants

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter