• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Popcorn making

maxaroni

DIS Veteran
We have a hot air popper and haven’t used microwave bag popcorn in years. We were at holiday gift exchange and one of the gifts was a glass bowl, with plastic top/cap. It was a microwave popcorn popper using regular kernels. Anyone use something like this with regular kernels?

Yes we have a silicone bowl and lid for popping in the microwave. Super easy and convenient.

You can pop dry, just put a half cup of kernels in the bowl and microwave for two or two and a half minutes. You will have to perfect the time for your microwave.

If you wAnt to you can put butter, olive oil, flavored coconut oil etc in the bowl along with some salt and the kernels.

Yes we have a silicone bowl and lid for popping in the microwave. Super easy and convenient.

You can pop dry, just put a half cup of kernels in the bowl and microwave for two or two and a half minutes. You will have to perfect the time for your microwave.

If you wAnt to you can put butter, olive oil, flavored coconut oil etc in the bowl along with some salt and the kernels.

Interesting. Do you find the popcorn gets “soft” due to the steam/moisture in the bowl, or is that not a problem? We had never heard of this method of popping corn.

I use a large Pyrex bowl and add 1/3 cup kernels with one tablespoon oil. Then cover the bowl with a dinner plate and microwave for 4-5 minutes. Works like a charm! And doesn't have any gross chemicals that you find in microwaveable popcorn.

We have a hot air popper and haven’t used microwave bag popcorn in years. We were at holiday gift exchange and one of the gifts was a glass bowl, with plastic top/cap. It was a microwave popcorn popper using regular kernels. Anyone use something like this with regular kernels?

We had one and thought it was useless. We found it didn’t make very much and that it didn’t pop very fluffy. We have a pot for the stove with a handle that you turn to keep the popcorn moving so it doesn’t burn. It gets used at least twice a week.

We have an air popper that we haven't used in ages because DS is supposed to avoid popcorn with his braces. But the microwave thing definitely sounds less messy.

We have this. I keep it on the counter. It always tastes great, and clean up is simple.

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/cuis...MIj-ag-ei02AIVwlYNCh1W_w2OEAQYBiABEgKcn_D_BwE

cuisinart-hot-air-popcorn-maker.jpg

We have a plastic popper that you can use with regular kernels in the microwave. It doesn't make much at a time -- 1-2 servings rather than a whole pot. My son loves popcorn and he thinks it's great for an after school snack, etc. (It pops well, and he has never complained about it being soggy, etc.) If we're having it as a family snack, we'll pull out the whirly-pop pot because it makes more at a time... but the ease of the microwave one is great (and without all the chemicals that are in the microwave bags.)

Ours is similar to this: https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-3065002/food-network-quick-pop-microwave-popcorn-maker.jsp

Popcorn gadgets seem like a waste of time for me. That's what a pan is for, and unless you totally aren't paying attention, it's hard to burn it.

Put an amount of oil (with a high smoke point--I use avocado oil) that covers the bottom of the pan into a saucepan (I use a 3.5- 4 qt one). Place 3 kernels in, put on lid and put heat to medium high. When you hear the 3 kernels pop, add enough popcorn to cover the bottom of the pan generously (I eyeball it all). Let it sit, shaking pan occasionally and increase the shaking to constant as you hear it pop. Pour into a bowl. Then melt butter in the hot pan, skim off the milk solids, and pour over. Sprinkle with salt. If you really want to be picky, run the salt through a mini food processor so it's super fine. Toss.

I would not eat popcorn popped without oil. The two oil effect--first cooked in oil, then drenched in clarified butter is what makes it delicious. You can skip clarifying the butter, but the milk solids kind of "melt" the popcorn because they're watery. Superfine salt is optional as well, and I usually skip that part. But that is what unflavored "popcorn salt" is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter