Popcorn kernel stuck in my throat! UPDATE ~ It's Gone!! p. 8

Ugggh! I've had this happen to me. It is the hard "husk" part, not the whole kernal people are thinking about. The sharp edges sort of dig into the tounge. Very uncomfortable & annoying.

I have tried to soften it by drinking very warm water. If that doesn't help, I've used my toothbrush to try to dislodge it. Of course be careful, you may trigger your gag reflex.

Good luck.

A few months ago my brother had to go to the ER because he had a piece of a chicken bone stuck in his throat - nothing could get it to go up or down. The dr. had to put something down his throat to get it out.

Let us know what happens. Good luck.

Thanks for all the advice.

Just got back from urgent care. They took an x-ray but said they couldn't see anything. I know it's there, though. It feels like it's lower in my throat that it was this morning so hopefully it's moving and will just go down!

He gave me a prescription for some numbing liquid to gargle and swallow but it's just for the "pain" and since it doesn't really hurt, just uncomfortable, I don't think I'm going to take it.

Even though he couldn't see it he said it could be so small by now, and it should dissolve on its own with saliva so that makes me feel better! I was just afraid that it would cause an infection or damage but if it's going to dissolve, I'm okay with that!

The husks just dont dissolve and can embed in the throat. An ENT is going to be your only help if it persists. The bread tip is the best. You need to swallow dry bread in a big bite, more than a few times. May not work though but its worth a shot. Do you still have your tonsils?

I hope you can dislodge it! :hug:

I had this happen as a child, and we went to the hospital. They sent me home with directions to eat bread. The plan was that the bread would catch on the hull and detach it from my throat.

It worked!:wizard:

The husks just dont dissolve and can embed in the throat. An ENT is going to be your only help if it persists. The bread tip is the best. You need to swallow dry bread in a big bite, more than a few times. May not work though but its worth a shot. Do you still have your tonsils?

I hope you can dislodge it! :hug:

Thanks. He gave me the name of an ENT to go to if it's still bothering me in a few days.

Everyone is giving the bread advice so I think I'll make a stop at Panera tomorrow! Hopefully that works!

I do NOT have my tonsils, it feels like it's way further down than that......

It's sooooo annoying!!

Good luck. I hope you get it to dislodge. :hug:

I vote for the bread option too. I'd never heard of that until a few years ago when I was eating tortilla chips with a neighbor. I had one stick in my throat and she handed me a slice of bread. I thought she was nuts, but it worked! :thumbsup2

Try eating something sticky... peanut butter or something. That's what I do when I get something caught in my throat.

Eat more popcorn! The rough edges of the popcorn should scrape that little shuck right off the surface of your throat. That happened to me once, but I took my finger and kind of scraped it off! I hated that feeling. Those little kernel shucks are like suction cups on your wet throat. I hope you get relief soon!:)

Eat more popcorn! The rough edges of the popcorn should scrape that little shuck right off the surface of your throat. That happened to me once, but I took my finger and kind of scraped it off! I hated that feeling. Those little kernel shucks are like suction cups on your wet throat. I hope you get relief soon!:)

That's exactly what it feels like! Like something is suctioned to the side of my throat. It's really far down, I tried to do the finger thing but it's just too far down my throat.

I actually JUST thought, maybe I should eat more popcorn! I don't know though....I'm scared of popcorn now. After this whole thing is over, I really don't think I'll ever eat popcorn again! I'm hoping I'm just going to wake up tomorrow morning and it will all be better....but that's what I was hoping last night too so we'll see! I'm going to try bread and peanut butter tomorrow too....

Checking in for Popcorn Watch 2010. How's it going, Nik?

Poor thing..wouldn't mind betting though that is is a scratch you are feeling there at this point..happened to me once with a fish bone :scared1:

Hey guys! Thanks for checking in on me! Haha!

Unfortunately it's still there this morning. :headache: I'm going to lunch with a friend to an Italian restaurant today so I'm planning on going to town on that bread!! Hopefully that'll do the trick!

I really hope it's just scratched, but I really think it's still there. I can feel it when I move my neck.

Ooooh, I just remember I have some Captain Crunch! I'm going to try that. That cereal ALWAYS scratches my throat! Haha!

You could try flushing it out with a Waterpik if you have one. Or if you have a syringe without a needle (like the ones for giving kids medicine) you could squirt water into your throat in the area where you feel the popcorn.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter