PoP = Walmart, You get what you pay for

Pop Century is definitely not for everyone.

Did you research the Pop before going? Because everything you stated is standard for the most popular value resort. We could have told you all this before you left. The wheelchair/scooter rant doesn't have to do with the Pop exclusively, so I won't touch that one. And the other resorts you visited were all deluxes, which like you said, you get what you pay for. There are no significant lines there because there are less people staying there and Disney caters more to the deluxe resorts just like any business would cater more to higher paying customers. As for the smoking areas, I haven't been there since they instituted the no smoking in any rooms policy, so I haven't seen where the smoking areas are. If they are right in the walkways, then yeah, I'd have to agree with you there.

If you still want a value resort on property, try All Star Music next time. You'll probably enjoy that one much more. And research, research, research! :surfweb:

I encountered the same thing last sept. I decided this year to upgrade. I understand about the scooters and their very large families. We also encountered some younger woman in a wheelchair, and when we got back at Pop they were outside running around with the wheelchair and her and her family were taking turns playing in the wheelchair. I hope to avoid the large crowds and smoking all over this year. I hope everything else was great though.:goodvibes

perhaps the happiest place on earth is not for you? We stayed at POP last week, the 10th - 15th and had a much different experience. We go semi commando touring style, so we are up, out and to the bus stop by about 8am. We don't get meals at POP mostly because I am not a fan of the moven' pick style of restuarant, though we did get breakfast one morning, and crowded is a good description. The bus waits at the end of the day... Disney Transportation moves a lot of people quickly our wait was never more than 40 min. Back in the day, I remember 2 hour waits for buses at the end of the night at MK.

But since you didn't like it, that's one less in the crowd for next year.

Well before it gets moved, I have to wonder why the OP is comparing Pop Century, a value resort with Beach Club, Wilderness Lodge and the Contemporary??? It's a bit like comparing Manhattan with Hoboken! Value resorts are just that, value and some nice amenities. Deluxe resorts are very nice with very nice amenities. Also, you can "lodge" about 10000+ people at the Pop Century and I doubt you can do that at any of the comparative Deluxe Resorts. And given that Pop Century was the last hotel/resort built, of course it's the last on the bus stop circuit. Was Disney supposed to bump The Polynesian out of the way to insert Pop into the bus stop areas?

Yeah this should be on the resort boards.
I wouldnr compare to a deluxe though, its like apples and oranges.
I am sorry you had a rough stay at the Pop I hope your next trip home to the world be better.

I have to say that the majority of your comments have nothing to do with the resort itself. There could be lines at any resort, anywhere. Likewise, the disabled guest issue happens at both deluxe and value resorts alike. It seems that you expected certain things, but didn't do the research to see if Pop had them. I'd recommend POFQ or a deluxe resort on the monorail loop. Keep in mind that these issues could very well happen there as well.

I have stayed at Pop Century twice before and never had an issue. This was also during some of the busiest times ever. -shrug-

We stayed at POP during our weekend trip and have decided we won't be going back for awhile. I almost had to laugh because the last time we were there we ended up in the 90's section at the very end of the building...I said "at least they can't put us anywhere further away during our next stay", well I was wrong: same corridor, 4th floor! I'm not the type to belly ache and complain to get a better room (maybe that's why we usually end up where we're at!) so we just made the best of it, but it did make me realize that I've had my fill of POP.

I know we could have paid for a preferred room location, but opted not to since it was just DH and me. Other than that, bus service was pretty good, food court wasn't too horrible (even during a holiday weekend), and crowds were manageable. We definitely benefited from Fast Pass during this trip!

We stayed at POP during our weekend trip and have decided we won't be going back for awhile. I almost had to laugh because the last time we were there we ended up in the 90's section at the very end of the building...I said "at least they can't put us anywhere further away during our next stay", well I was wrong: same corridor, 4th floor! I'm not the type to belly ache and complain to get a better room (maybe that's why we usually end up where we're at!) so we just made the best of it, but it did make me realize that I've had my fill of POP.

Wow, had I received a room in the 90s on the fourth floor, far corridor, I would have checked to see if I put deodorant on that morning! That is a hike and you were very gracious to stay with that location. I think I would have bellyached at least a little. Limped around near the desk or something. I can see why you would want to try someplace else!!

This thread is already in the POP thread on the resorts board, from LAST night. :confused3

You can do all the research that you want and still not know everything until you experience it for your self. If its all you can afford it is just fine. I enjoyed my experience the first time I went, and not so much the second. If you listen to people on the boards here you will hear very different experiences. I'm sure the op had a shocking experience from deluxe to value, but you can look it up and not really understand until you experience it. I did do my research and knew what to expect the second time, and my experience was worse. That is why I have decided to upgrade and check out what else is out there. Everyone enjoy different things and have different experiences and there is nothing wrong with that.

Well, I've never actually stayed at Pop, but I agree with pretty much all that has been said so far. But then again, if you are "Park Commando," it does fit pretty well if you are on a budget because you probably aren't spending much time in the room. Disney builds different resorts for different people, and if you stay at a resort that just wasn't for you, it isn't necessarily a "bad" resort. A crummy resort would be a place that has bugs and icky stuff all over, awful service, and an overall lack of management. While there are minor issues with that in Disney, there will be issues no matter where you go. I'd reccomend that you at least go up to moderate, if not deluxe for your next trip.

Im gonna sound like the oddball here but I got a kick out of the pop. I am a child of the 80's so when we (me & dgf) got a room in that building it was that much nicer. The room was on the far end and that was great for me since I didn't have alot of traffic. The walk was a bit much, but it helps to work off all the ADR's. :)

I could afford to stay anywhere but was drawn to the resort because it looked fun. Also oddly enough it had some of the best bus service of any resort I have stayed at over the years. Now everyones experience is different.

I don't think you're an oddball at all...I still think POP is a really great resort and an excellent value. But for us, we are just a bit tired of it. I would really like to see them complete the Legendary Years as it's so sad to just see it sitting there getting worse each day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter