• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pop vs. Dolphin

The13thLetter

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone. We are torn between staying at Pop or the Dolphin for our end of August trip this year. With some of the recent lines I have seen at CBR for the Skyliner, coupled with a few of the recent issues, and the weather in late august possibly causing shut downs, i am starting to think the dolphin is the way to go, even for the extra ~100$ a night. DS will be almost 3 this trip and i am thinking the boardwalk area itself as well as being able to walk (or stroller) to 2 parks instead of using the skyliner will make things more pleasant. Am I overreacting to the possible Skyliner struggles?

We just got back from a 10 day trip....7 nights at Pop and we absolutely adored the Skyliner. We never had long waits (we arrived to the parks about an hour before opening and stayed until close) for the skyliner except one time was about 5 minutes because the line hadn't actually started yet (the Epcot line didn't start until 10am). I am actually glad we had those few minutes because it gave us an opportunity to talk with a CM about our upcoming Topolino's ADR that was for 10am and we weren't sure how to get there. We were told to just show them the reservation and we could get on the Epcot line even though it wasn't open yet. Sure enough, worked like a charm! We were actually a little sad when we moved to the Contemporary because we loved the skyliner soo much!

I had the same decision for an upcoming trip early Sept. My son, his SO and their baby (5 months old) decided to join me so I went back and forth between a suite at AoA and a mini-suite at Dolphin. The cost was the just about the same. There was no door to the bedroom going into the living room area at Dolphin and only one bathroom where AoA had two. I ended up at Dolphin because I love it and we knew we would probably have to drive to the parks if we stayed at AoA since my son isn't good with heights and the buses don't run as often because of the sky liner. We love Epcot and HS and tend to just do hopping to MK and AK so Dolphin made sense for us.

We often stay at Pop during our August trips, but the Skyliner is making me rethink things because the weather is so predictably rainy and stormy that time of year. Yes, just for short periods of time, but long enough to bung things up if you like to hop around in the afternoon like we do.

Hands-down, Dolphin. More comfortable rooms, better location. You aren't overreacting to the Skyliner issues. Dolphin gives you 3 different ways to get to DHS. I would always rather rely on my feet than Disney transportation - far more reliable.
Does the current system of bus transport take you to Epcot & Hollywood Studios? Why are people reporting they have to go to Yacht & Beach Club for official WDW Bus System because of changes made at Swan & Dolphin? Trying to figure this out since I convinced my daughter to stay at Dolphin. I was worried they would end up at TTC !
Hopefully they can walk or boat.
Thanks . I feel like so much has changed . Even just figuring out day to day mask ....

Does the current system of bus transport take you to Epcot & Hollywood Studios? Why are people reporting they have to go to Yacht & Beach Club for official WDW Bus System because of changes made at Swan & Dolphin? Trying to figure this out since I convinced my daughter to stay at Dolphin. I was worried they would end up at TTC !
Hopefully they can walk or boat.
Thanks . I feel like so much has changed . Even just figuring out day to day mask ....

Staying at the Swan/Dolphin you could walk or take the boats to Epcot and HS. For everything else, they are using Mears buses. Only difference I have heard is that they are running every 30 minutes instead of every 20 minutes, and that the bus to MK drops you at the TTC instead of right at MK. People have been taking the buses from BC/YC and BW mostly when they are trying to rope drop MK and AK.

I have to agree with most anyone else, Dolphin over Pop and it's not even a contest. The location is better, the rooms are better, the food is way better and you have walkable options all over around the lake. If Hollywood Studios matters at all to you, the Swan/Dolphin are in the prime location right next to the walking path.

I will say though, weather conditions that prevent the Skyliner from running will sometimes also shut the Friendship boats down (lightning, really) so that is something to keep in mind. Last Friday there was a horrible storm when I was coming back to YC from HS one afternoon on the boat and we did a U turn and came back around to the HS dock before we even got halfway to Swan/Dolphin. At least at the Crescent Lake resorts you do have walking as an alternative but sometimes like that day, it's just not safe to do so (not that I didn't see some crazy people trying it anyway while I was waiting for the buses they sent for us). On the whole though I am still very skeptical about Skyliner resorts and still prefer Crescent Lake.

Like someone else also mentioned, Dolphin only has doubles and King rooms so if you require 2 queens you would need to go to the Swan.

One thing that may or may not matter to you. If you get a room with two beds, POP has queen beds. Dolphin has doubles (Swan has queens).
I have to agree with most anyone else, Dolphin over Pop and it's not even a contest. The location is better, the rooms are better, the food is way better and you have walkable options all over around the lake. If Hollywood Studios matters at all to you, the Swan/Dolphin are in the prime location right next to the walking path.

I will say though, weather conditions that prevent the Skyliner from running will sometimes also shut the Friendship boats down (lightning, really) so that is something to keep in mind. Last Friday there was a horrible storm when I was coming back to YC from HS one afternoon on the boat and we did a U turn and came back around to the HS dock before we even got halfway to Swan/Dolphin. At least at the Crescent Lake resorts you do have walking as an alternative but sometimes like that day, it's just not safe to do so (not that I didn't see some crazy people trying it anyway while I was waiting for the buses they sent for us). On the whole though I am still very skeptical about Skyliner resorts and still prefer Crescent Lake.

Like someone else also mentioned, Dolphin only has doubles and King rooms so if you require 2 queens you would need to go to the Swan.

We are actually doing a king bed room because we think the pull out couch will be a bit lower to the ground for our little guy in case he makes it over the rails somehow lol.

We are actually doing a king bed room because we think the pull out couch will be a bit lower to the ground for our little guy in case he makes it over the rails somehow lol.

Ha, that would probably work! In any event I think you will enjoy the Dolphin. I grew up staying there on our family and loved it as a kid. If you want "me time" that spa is amazing too, I was just there last week.

Ha, that would probably work! In any event I think you will enjoy the Dolphin. I grew up staying there on our family and loved it as a kid. If you want "me time" that spa is amazing too, I was just there last week.

That is actually a good idea that maybe i could surprise my wife with. Take little man to the pool or the boardwalk area and send her for a massage.

I love the skyliner. It's a great transportation option...until it isn't. Once they shut it down you have to wait for them to get the busses deployed and no one knows how long that will take. I had gone over to Riviera for lunch one day (staying at BWV) and a storm started rolling in while I was there and shut down the skyliner just as I was ready to head back to my room at BWV. I ended up getting an Uber back to BWV. I had to wait about 15 minutes for my Uber, and during that wait I didn't see any busses pull into the Riviera bus stop.

So, another vote for Dolphin. :)

You can always ride the skyliner for fun during the middle of the day when you don't have to worry about lines.

I know somewhere in one of these threads it was mentioned that early morning access was going to be limited to just Disney resort guests (I believe 30 mins earlier than non-disney resort guests) would the Dolphin/Swan be included in that?

I know somewhere in one of these threads it was mentioned that early morning access was going to be limited to just Disney resort guests (I believe 30 mins earlier than non-disney resort guests) would the Dolphin/Swan be included in that?

I don’t remember the specific verbiage from the announcement but Swolphin will almost certainly be included. Historically they enjoyed EMH and its ancient predecessor along with most of the on site benefits. Very few they didn’t.

I don’t remember the specific verbiage from the announcement but Swolphin will almost certainly be included. Historically they enjoyed EMH and its ancient predecessor along with most of the on site benefits. Very few they didn’t.
Hope so as we may be going back this November and really thinking of staying there...fingers crossed it all works out...

I asked this question somewhere? The general response was Swolphin and Shades of Green should at minimum be included, possibly a few Good Neighbor maybe?
DA46998A-7572-4879-956E-7C61C9F14AAF.png46E77479-4EA1-4EA2-8B75-DC8318E7A723.png5E59041A-6F68-4626-BCF5-D620DE7BAA8A.png75F03BEB-4827-4311-84C4-63B883344AB9.png
WDW has taken down the page but WDW magic still has a copy of the statement. It did say- Onsite and guests of other select hotels.

I would choose the Dolphin. We choose Pop in the winter or for a quick stay where we won't use the room/resort much. We just booked Sept 1-14 at the Dolphin. Make sure you include the extra fees in your budgeting. There is a daily resort fee and a parking fee. DH and I don't share double beds well so we are bringing each of our 3 kids (5, 3, and 2.5 months) a travel bed. It's a weird system, but it works for us. The skyliner is nice, but being able to walk is better. I'm not sure if you like beer, but we love getting the kids to sleep in the stroller at night and stopping by the brewery at the Boardwalk for a drink before we turn in. Abracadabar is also really fun.

I was debating between the same two hotels. I went with the Dolphin because I’ve never stayed there and I like how the rooms are close to a deluxe without the deluxe prices. My best friend and I both love Epcot too so it will be nice to be so close.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter