• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pop up campers with a bathroom

hcmommy

Mouseketeer
Do you actually use them? We already have a pop up but I would love one with a bathroom so we could use it in the middle of the night and for a quick shower. Is it just wasted space in yours or do you use it?

Do you actually use them? We already have a pop up but I would love one with a bathroom so we could use it in the middle of the night and for a quick shower. Is it just wasted space in yours or do you use it?

We don't have a bathroom in our pop-up. We have a portable toilet, which we have NEVER used. We try and camp close to the bathhouse.

My grandmother had a travel trailer for years and they used their stand-up shower for storage, not showering. :)

Yes, we use them both. It was a must with the kids. The shower is a bit tight but doable. When we stay at a place with clean showers, such as Disney, we use them. It does take up some space but our floorplan has alot of counter space so we didn't lose that to the shower unit. Good luck with whatever you go with.

I would like to have a urinal in our camper, would sure make my life a lot easier during the night in my old age.

If I bought a pop up I would have a bathroom,,sure beat hav'n to run to the comfort station at night.

Just remember these words,,"OoooHaaaaNaaa"

One thing about the pop ups is that most are casette toilets and you basically have to carry the jug to a cs or dump station. I'm thinking no way. I would get a porta potty just for emergencies. Fill it with cat litter if you end up using it and drop it in the trash.

We have a highwall pup with a walled bathroom. It is extremely tight to shower in, we have only used it during times of very cold weather. We also have a on board black water tank and sewer connection so we can use the bathroom, (only for #1 though) and do so regularly.

We have 3 children so that was a must for us when we were shopping for our pup.

One thing about the pop ups is that most are casette toilets and you basically have to carry the jug to a cs or dump station. I'm thinking no way. I would get a porta potty just for emergencies. Fill it with cat litter if you end up using it and drop it in the trash.

DITTO! Our popup has a shower but no toilet. After looking at the toilet options and their cleaning instructions :scared1:...we opted for the Luggable Loo with cat litter during the night and then used the flush toilet in the camper van during the day.

We used the shower all the time and was a must for us :)

We have one of the highwall pop-ups, a Coleman Niagara. It has a hardside bathroom with a porcelain toilet. We use the toilet mostly at night or early a.m. Have used the shower to bathe Christian or shave my legs. We use the bathroom as a small dressing room, too. I'd say the only negative about our bathroom is that the black tank is very small, about 9 gallons, so it can fill up real quick if you're not careful. We don't flush any paper, only liquids and solids. Paper goes into a trash can. The gray tank holds about 20 gallons, so we don't use the shower excessively. There are standard tank dump valves on the side of the PUP, just like regular travel trailers.

This is our second pop-up. Our first one was a small Dutchmen with no toilet. It was fine for that period in our lives, but now that we're older it's really nice to be able to access the "facilities" in the middle of the night rather than having to make a run for it in the dark.

We use the toilet all the time :rolleyes1 (we don't flush the paper). You never know what kind of freaks you might run into making a potty run in the middle of the night. I have used the shower at campgrounds where the shower stalls were questionable. One time we camped late in the season and it was too cold to run to the bathhouse with the kids so we used the shower then too. It can be done in a pinch but I find the park showers more comfortable. I really don't like showering with my elbow stuck in my eye :rotfl2:- it's really tight quarters in there. Also, once we use the shower - the curtain (which is also the bathroom walls) is soaked and the bathroom floor and I find it a little inconvenient.

We had a 99 Colman Westlake with a shower / Cassette potty and sometimes it was great and sometimes a pain. We used the shower several times and I think we got more water out of the shower than in it!We tinded to use the outside shower more than the inside But it was worth it some of the times because the condition of the bathhouse. My D/W loved having the can right buy the bed in the middle of the night.

We have a porta-potty for night time and a general rule that it is only for "liquid 1" as my DS calls it ;) So far we haven't been so remote that there haven't been at least vault toilets, but if/when we do camp that remote we'll use the kitty litter and bag method for, um...yeah.

We generally use GC showers, but do have a separate shower tent and Zodi brand propane hot shower gizmo that we use when there are no showers or if the showers are far away from our site or skeevy.

Many people on the popupexplorer.com boards do a nifty mod where they add a shower to a dinette seat using a laundry tub. There's really no room in the Aliner to do it in our current setup, and we're happy with the shower tent when we need it...but it does look like a cool mod! Here's a link to the thread that includes info on this mod: http://www.popupexplorer.com/forum/index.php?topic=76292.0

Not checking the Camping Board as frequently but wanted to chime in on this one.

Our pop-up has a built-in shower/potty (Thetford brand) and we bought our camper new. With three kids it helped to have a potty for #1 only when kids were getting ready for bed or the middle of the night. We only camp in state parks and the Fort anyway so we've never had to use the shower.

Kids are older now with more #1 control so not so much an issue but we do use it for privacy when changing clothes, etc. It is a soft curtain type of stall (not hard sided which I wouldn't want because I would always bump the hard walls).

So it depends on your style of camping. If you're a state park/Fort person I would say take the shower at the campground and not in the pup. If you are in the boonies drydocking then it works okay I guess. For us is was a nice-to-have but not a necessity.

Bama ED

When we had our pop-up it had a small potty/shower combo....and I mean SMALL!! We used it mostly at night to save us from walking to an outside bathroom not only at Disney but in other camping venues. It was minimal clean-up for the added convenience.

We didn't have our 2 DD at the time, but I would think it would be an added bonus with kids too!

Thanks everyone! I think a lugable loo or something like it might be what we get, just for #1's and stick to the current pop up. We have a 2 and 4 year old so having something would be nice. Never been to the fort but most state parks we've been to have nice showers, even private ones so it's defintately not a necessity.

Emptying the cassette sounds like a terrible task, when we got our pup we determined to not use the pottie in it much at all because of the perceived yuckiness of cleaning it. That did not even last the first night. To shorten the story I found emptying the cassette to be simple and painless. Pulled it out, rotated the spout, unscrewed the lid and dumped into the sewer line. Did not see it or smell it. Reinstalled in reverse order and pumped a few flushes of chemicals in and all was well. Took less than 5 min.

Emptying the cassette sounds like a terrible task, when we got our pup we determined to not use the pottie in it much at all because of the perceived yuckiness of cleaning it. That did not even last the first night. To shorten the story I found emptying the cassette to be simple and painless. Pulled it out, rotated the spout, unscrewed the lid and dumped into the sewer line. Did not see it or smell it. Reinstalled in reverse order and pumped a few flushes of chemicals in and all was well. Took less than 5 min.

What tvengineer said.

And, I third this!

When we bought our pop-up, I was not at all interested in the cassette toilet, but the model we liked came with it, so we got it anyway. I had no intention of ever using it.

But, with three DD's and Mrs. TCD along, I set it up on our very first trip. Just to see how it worked.

And, we have never looked back.

These things work great, and emptying the cassette could not be easier.

TCD

We don't have a bathroom in our pup. However, my DH gave me a portable marine toilet (portapotty) for Mother's Day!:rolleyes1 He gave it to me and promised to empty and clean it on every trip. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

This was the best gift I've ever received. (did I really say that?)
The potty get's used on all trips longer than 2 days. It is used for #1 ONLY. It is basically used during the middle of the night and walmart sells little 6 packs of chemical for it. It all get's stowed in it's own porta potty cabinet that the pup already had along with the chemical, latex gloves, disinfectant wipes.

We don't have a pop up, but a MH. I like having the toilet for the middle of the night, but we have never used the shower. In fact. my husband built a floor over the shower floor and we have mounted an extra refrigerator there with hanging storage around it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter