POP more expensive than CSR

We are staying at ASSports in September and I looked about switching to Pop for Skyliner and access to walk around AoA for photo ops. It was going to be $700. We will not be switching, the Skyliner is just not worth $700, especially when the rooms are essentially the same.

For our August dates with a Disney Visa discount a 1BR at Saratoga Springs is less than a family suite at Art of Animation. We are a family of 5, so our Value options are limited - no Pop for us :(, but this boggles my mind!

For our on-site nights, we booked a Studio at Boulder Ridge villas for about $100/night LESS than AoA! After that we’re moving to WBC, where we’ll have a 2BR because we need extra space, and I refuse to pay $300/night to stay at a Value - even if it is a family suite! The loss of DME and many of the on-site benefits being diminished have led us off-site for the first time.

Last edited:
I guess this is irrelevant given how long ago it was (maybe 2008?) but I remember getting a 40% off code when Pop was rack rate of $82 a night. That made the rate under $50 a night. So hearing that Pop is going for $299 does sound obscene to me.
I hear you! I have something like 40 stays at POP, and I about choked in 2016 when I had to pay $150 for New Years Eve. Prior I never paid more than maybe $120 (for Free Dining) but most trips where I paid closer to $70 with a few lucky rates like yours.

Also remember Wilderness Lodge $114, Animal Kingdom Lodge $139, Wilderness Cabins $130, POR and CSR less than $100. Those were the days.

And why I am mostly offsite now - with a car and AP Disney really can't compete with what I get offsite.

For our August dates with a Disney Visa discount a 1BR at Saratoga Springs is less than a family suite at Art of Animation. We are a family of 5, so our Value options are limited - no Pop for us :(, but this boggles my mind!

For our on-site nights, we booked a Studio at Boulder Ridge villas for about $100/night LESS than AoA! After that we’re moving to WBC, where we’ll have a 2BR because we need extra space, and I refuse to pay $300/night to stay at a Value - even if it is a family suite! The loss of DME and many of the on-site benefits being diminished have led us off-site for the first time.

We're a family of 5 (actually 7 when all the kids traveled with us) and we could usually get a 1BR at SS for about the same price as a suite at AoA (rack rate for our trip next year has the 1BR at about $500 more for the week and when discounts come out it will probably be very close to the same price as AoA -- definitely something I looked at). What keeps us at AoA is 2 full bathrooms in the suite and the compact size of the resort. There's no way our family would be happy with one bathroom for the week (our "kids" are all 18+). We deal with it on 1 or 2-night stays on trips outside of Disney, but even with 2 bathrooms we have to make sure we have a schedule so that everyone is ready to leave the room on time. The only thing that makes me want to stay at SS is having the washer and dryer. The kitchen does nothing for me -- I'm not cooking on vacation -- so it's really just "wasted" space for us. I don't think AoA should be classified as a Value resort based on the price of the suites because people are expecting much lower prices when the word "value" is involved. The suites at ASMu are priced significantly lower than the ones at AoA. And I thought I remembered that Disney said they were going to get rid of the Deluxe, Moderate, and Value labels. Guess that never happened.

We're a family of 5 (actually 7 when all the kids traveled with us) and we could usually get a 1BR at SS for about the same price as a suite at AoA (rack rate for our trip next year has the 1BR at about $500 more for the week and when discounts come out it will probably be very close to the same price as AoA -- definitely something I looked at). What keeps us at AoA is 2 full bathrooms in the suite and the compact size of the resort. There's no way our family would be happy with one bathroom for the week (our "kids" are all 18+). We deal with it on 1 or 2-night stays on trips outside of Disney, but even with 2 bathrooms we have to make sure we have a schedule so that everyone is ready to leave the room on time. The only thing that makes me want to stay at SS is having the washer and dryer. The kitchen does nothing for me -- I'm not cooking on vacation -- so it's really just "wasted" space for us. I don't think AoA should be classified as a Value resort based on the price of the suites because people are expecting much lower prices when the word "value" is involved. The suites at ASMu are priced significantly lower than the ones at AoA. And I thought I remembered that Disney said they were going to get rid of the Deluxe, Moderate, and Value labels. Guess that never happened.
Yes, the single bathroom issue is part of why we didn’t just book a week at SSR in a 1-BR - our oldest is 12, but needs her sweet time to get ready…

We do appreciate the kitchen, primarily for the full sized fridge/freezer which is probably part of why I didn’t seriously consider AoA/other family suites. We like to stick up on groceries and snacks so we can do breakfast and some easy lunches in the room. It’s nice to be able to eat out as much as we want to but not have to eat our every meal :)

The extra space is worth a lot to us now, which is part of why we’re trying off-site for all but 2 nights. When the kiddos were younger we were fine in a “normal” hotel room, but now even a small 1 BR (embassy suites style) feels cozy - totally fine for a night or two, but not ideal for a whole week

If you book either POP or CSR (or really any Disney property) at those prices, be sure to check back later this fall or early next year for possible discounts. We stayed close to that same week in March this year at CBR for somewhere in the low 200s with a Disney Visa discount. And there were other discounts available as well. We booked in February about 6 weeks before the trip.

Yes, the single bathroom issue is part of why we didn’t just book a week at SSR in a 1-BR - our oldest is 12, but needs her sweet time to get ready…

We do appreciate the kitchen, primarily for the full sized fridge/freezer which is probably part of why I didn’t seriously consider AoA/other family suites. We like to stick up on groceries and snacks so we can do breakfast and some easy lunches in the room. It’s nice to be able to eat out as much as we want to but not have to eat our every meal :)

The extra space is worth a lot to us now, which is part of why we’re trying off-site for all but 2 nights. When the kiddos were younger we were fine in a “normal” hotel room, but now even a small 1 BR (embassy suites style) feels cozy - totally fine for a night or two, but not ideal for a whole week

Just an FYI, the suites at ASMu do have a full size fridge (with a freezer) in them and a larger kitchen area than the AoA suites, but that of course takes away some of the "living" space of the room. But if someone wants a good size fridge for drinks and food, the ASMu suites are a good option. If they had put an apartment size washer/dryer in those suites, I'd be booking there in a heartbeat. But we like the Skyliner, so we'll stay at AoA as long as we've got "kids" staying with us.

We also eat breakfast in our room most days but don't require much fridge space for those foods as we usually eat protein bars, bagels, granola bars, cereal, muffins, etc. We usually only have some water bottles, cream cheese, 1/2 gallon of milk, and maybe yogurt in the fridge, so the small fridge works fine for us. But I understand how the AoA fridges can be too small for some families. We eat all of our meals (other than breakfast) in the parks or at the resort and we go to the parks baglesss which means we buy all of our snacks and drinks in the parks as well, so we don't need to stock the fridge with water bottles -- we just keep about 8-10 in the fridge at all times so we can each grab one on the way out of the room every morning.

The skyrocketing prices at Pop are what caused me to explore other options, namely Swan/Dolphin and renting DVC. On all my recent and upcoming trips, I have paid about the same or less to stay at the Dolphin (w/ AP rate) or at AKL or Riviera than I would have paid at Pop with rack rates.

I stayed at Movies and Pop back to back in 2022 and thought the Skyliner upcharge was ridiculous. It's around $60-$75/night more to stay at Pop vs. All Stars and that's just crazy to me. The Skyliner is nice, but it's not exactly a short ride from Pop to the parks, and assuming you only go to Epcot/Studios on 50-75% of the days of your trip, you're probably effectively paying closer to $100+ per day for the Skyliner on the days you use it. Gosh, you could probably use a Minnie Van from All Stars and still come out ahead if you don't hit surge pricing.

I love Coronado and would 100% go back there before Pop. The rooms feel twice as big, so much quieter, walls feel like they're made of two layers of cardboard instead of one layer at Pop :laughing:. Not to mention closer to the main road so Uber drivers don't get lost finding it. Without fail, every time I stay at Pop we have a lost driver either picking us up or dropping us off. I thought it was a navigation issue years ago but my driver got so lost trying to drop us off last year and we ended up just asking him to let us out at AoA:rotfl2:

I guess this is irrelevant given how long ago it was (maybe 2008?) but I remember getting a 40% off code when Pop was rack rate of $82 a night. That made the rate under $50 a night. So hearing that Pop is going for $299 does sound obscene to me.
As recently as 2016 we stayed at Beach Club standard view for $300-something a night (don't remember the exact numbers, and that was with a discount, but still - not happening these days, sadly).

Just found my confirmation email from back then- $2911 was our total for 7 nights, standard view Beach Club with 6 day base tickets for 2 adults & a 12 y/o. No wonder we used to go to Disney so often :(

The skyrocketing prices at Pop are what caused me to explore other options, namely Swan/Dolphin and renting DVC. On all my recent and upcoming trips, I have paid about the same or less to stay at the Dolphin (w/ AP rate) or at AKL or Riviera than I would have paid at Pop with rack rates.

I stayed at Movies and Pop back to back in 2022 and thought the Skyliner upcharge was ridiculous. It's around $60-$75/night more to stay at Pop vs. All Stars and that's just crazy to me. The Skyliner is nice, but it's not exactly a short ride from Pop to the parks, and assuming you only go to Epcot/Studios on 50-75% of the days of your trip, you're probably effectively paying closer to $100+ per day for the Skyliner on the days you use it. Gosh, you could probably use a Minnie Van from All Stars and still come out ahead if you don't hit surge pricing.

I love Coronado and would 100% go back there before Pop. The rooms feel twice as big, so much quieter, walls feel like they're made of two layers of cardboard instead of one layer at Pop :laughing:. Not to mention closer to the main road so Uber drivers don't get lost finding it. Without fail, every time I stay at Pop we have a lost driver either picking us up or dropping us off. I thought it was a navigation issue years ago but my driver got so lost trying to drop us off last year and we ended up just asking him to let us out at AoA:rotfl2:

Comparing AP/DVC rental rates at one resort to rack rates at another resort isn't really a fair comparison. What were the discount rates at Pop at the same time? We usually stay in a suite at AoA and when comparing rates, I can almost always get a standard 5-person room at certain Deluxe resorts for about the same price as a suite at AoA (but we prefer more space and 2 bathrooms, so we stay with AoA). But if I compared the discount rate at the Deluxe resorts with the rack rate at AoA (even thought that's not what I'd be paying -- we've never paid rack rate for any room for any of our stays over the last 20 years), the discount standard Deluxe room is almost always going to be cheaper than the rack rate AoA suite.

When pricing rooms for our trip next June, Pop is $42/night more than All Star so that's not a huge premium to pay for the Skyliner -- $10-20/person per day depending on how many people are in the room and how often you use the Skyliner. Now, a Little Mermaid room is $112 more per night than All Star. There's no way I'd pay that premium for that room. If I was staying in a standard room, I'd choose Pop over LM any day and we'd still choose Pop over All Stars as well as we find the Skyliner to be worth that small premium. On our 8 day trip last June, we used the Skyliner 6 days -- and 4 of those days we used it twice a day as we typically go back to the resort for a few hours in the afternoon and return to a park in the evening. There were several times that we hopped over to one of those parks in the evening simply because of the convenience of the Skyliner. It was about a 7 minute trip to DHS and about 12 minutes to EP for us which we found to be faster than when we had to take buses (before Skyliner) to those parks. And we also found ourselves dreading the ride to MK & AK because we had to take a bus to get there!. :D For us, it's totally worth the extra cost of staying at a Skyliner resort (just like some people are willing to pay more to be at a monorail resort), but I realize not every one spends as much time at EP and DHS as our family. It's great to have so many choices since one size definitely doesn't fit all when going to Disney World.

That's pretty sad that your Uber/Lyft drivers had so much trouble finding Pop Century. We drive to Disney and even before GPS/Waze/Etc. existed, we never had trouble getting to Pop or AoA even when all we had were printed out Mapquest or AAA directions. :D I'm not sure how anyone with a GPS service has trouble getting anywhere. :D

I agree. In what world is $299 a value resort?

Disney values your money...........

Disney really needs to follow through on what they said a few years ago and get rid of the Value, Moderate, and Deluxe labels and simply group the resorts by area -- which they already sort of do (MK resorts, EP resorts, Wide World of Sports, etc.) but they never seem to use *those* labels. "Value" is a very misleading label (though I just saw that the All Star resorts are $138/night in September).

It is obscene pricing for all the resorts lately. I am doing a split stay in September at Coronado/GDT just to get the bigger discounts. 2 nights are booked direct with Disney for the 35% off and the other 3 nights are from Priceline at $30 less a night than WDW was charging with the 25% discount. (the discount rate changes during my stay so they were charging rack rates for the 3 nights if I was to book one stay for 35% off).

Even as recent as 2019, I was able to get All-Star Movies for $99 (pre-tax) from 12/23-12/25 on Priceline, I can't imagine what they are charging for Christmas this year. In Feb 2021, Pop was pandemic priced on Priceline for $120 a night.

I find Priceline (Hotwire not currently listing WDW resorts) often offers prices lower than direct with WDW and they are cancelable. The big drawback is you have to pay upfront for most of them for the full stay rather than the deposit.

$299 for POP is outright obscene and grossly overpriced.
FUNNY, in another thread the theme was that Disney was having a hard time filling resorts and had to deeply discount them....

But yes 299 a night is way over priced

Comparing AP/DVC rental rates at one resort to rack rates at another resort isn't really a fair comparison. What were the discount rates at Pop at the same time? We usually stay in a suite at AoA and when comparing rates, I can almost always get a standard 5-person room at certain Deluxe resorts for about the same price as a suite at AoA (but we prefer more space and 2 bathrooms, so we stay with AoA). But if I compared the discount rate at the Deluxe resorts with the rack rate at AoA (even thought that's not what I'd be paying -- we've never paid rack rate for any room for any of our stays over the last 20 years), the discount standard Deluxe room is almost always going to be cheaper than the rack rate AoA suite.

When pricing rooms for our trip next June, Pop is $42/night more than All Star so that's not a huge premium to pay for the Skyliner -- $10-20/person per day depending on how many people are in the room and how often you use the Skyliner. Now, a Little Mermaid room is $112 more per night than All Star. There's no way I'd pay that premium for that room. If I was staying in a standard room, I'd choose Pop over LM any day and we'd still choose Pop over All Stars as well as we find the Skyliner to be worth that small premium. On our 8 day trip last June, we used the Skyliner 6 days -- and 4 of those days we used it twice a day as we typically go back to the resort for a few hours in the afternoon and return to a park in the evening. There were several times that we hopped over to one of those parks in the evening simply because of the convenience of the Skyliner. It was about a 7 minute trip to DHS and about 12 minutes to EP for us which we found to be faster than when we had to take buses (before Skyliner) to those parks. And we also found ourselves dreading the ride to MK & AK because we had to take a bus to get there!. :D For us, it's totally worth the extra cost of staying at a Skyliner resort (just like some people are willing to pay more to be at a monorail resort), but I realize not every one spends as much time at EP and DHS as our family. It's great to have so many choices since one size definitely doesn't fit all when going to Disney World.

That's pretty sad that your Uber/Lyft drivers had so much trouble finding Pop Century. We drive to Disney and even before GPS/Waze/Etc. existed, we never had trouble getting to Pop or AoA even when all we had were printed out Mapquest or AAA directions. :D I'm not sure how anyone with a GPS service has trouble getting anywhere. :D
That’s great you get so much use out of the Skyliner! Taking breaks definitely helps get more value out of it. I compare AP rates at S/D and DVC rental rates to Pop rack-rates because I book far in advance, and Pop discounted rooms are not available when I book! This year I paid $220/night (with fees!) for the first few days of January at the Dolphin. I paid the same to rent at AKL this year and am paying the same next year to rent at Riviera! Funny enough I am dreading having to rely on the Skyliner at Riviera as when I stayed at Pop I ended up in long lines at park close. I think we waited 45 minutes one evening to get home from Epcot after fireworks! Not sure if I just have bad luck or what! That’s when I switched to Dolphin so I would walk right past that long Skyliner line! But since I am at Riviera for a race weekend I figured I won’t be up til park close more than once or twice, so I’ll survive.

I agree I have no idea what the WDW drivers are up to. One year (when we were not yet familiar with the resorts) we were going to Cape May and our driver ended up behind MK :rotfl2: Now we know better and put the resort as the destination and not the restaurant, but to this day we wonder how he ended up there!

That’s great you get so much use out of the Skyliner! Taking breaks definitely helps get more value out of it. I compare AP rates at S/D and DVC rental rates to Pop rack-rates because I book far in advance, and Pop discounted rooms are not available when I book! This year I paid $220/night (with fees!) for the first few days of January at the Dolphin. I paid the same to rent at AKL this year and am paying the same next year to rent at Riviera! Funny enough I am dreading having to rely on the Skyliner at Riviera as when I stayed at Pop I ended up in long lines at park close. I think we waited 45 minutes one evening to get home from Epcot after fireworks! Not sure if I just have bad luck or what! That’s when I switched to Dolphin so I would walk right past that long Skyliner line! But since I am at Riviera for a race weekend I figured I won’t be up til park close more than once or twice, so I’ll survive.

I agree I have no idea what the WDW drivers are up to. One year (when we were not yet familiar with the resorts) we were going to Cape May and our driver ended up behind MK :rotfl2: Now we know better and put the resort as the destination and not the restaurant, but to this day we wonder how he ended up there!

Yeah, we book so far ahead that discounts aren't out when we book but our TA just takes care of applying the discounts when they're released. (My favorite email from my TA is always "Good morning! Discounts dropped overnight. I got them applied to your reservation and you're saving $XXX!")

The only time we had long lines on Skyliner was after the fireworks at EP and we totally expected that. Our son and his family were staying at Pop and they high-tailed it to the Skyliner (while pushing a double stroller) after the fireworks ended. We had watched the fireworks from the China area so we had a hike to get to the Skyliner. Our son was loaded and back to Pop by about 10:00. DH & I meandered around World Showcase, stopped for a drink, sat on a bench and people watched, and then finally got to the Skyliner around 10:00 and had about a 5 minute wait. We were back in our room by 10:30. We've had similar or longer waits for buses after fireworks at EP -- one time we didn't get back AoA until after 11:00 and we didn't do any meandering after the show -- just walked straight from Morocco to the buses, but still had to wait for 3 or 4 buses before we could load. The next 2 visits we scheduled fireworks cruises for EP which presented their own challenges for getting back to AoA since we were a party of 10 and Uber/Lyft wasn't really a thing yet so we had to bus to a park or DS to then take a bus back to AoA. We probably should have just driven ourselves, but prefer to let someone else do the driving at Disney. With Skyliner, we really only had a lengthy wait that night after the fireworks at EP (full disclosure, DHS wasn't running Fantasmic yet when we were there last year so we always left there way before park closing). Even the one day we did EE rope drop at DHS we got to the Skyliner at 6:55 a.m. (which was 15 minutes later than I wanted to be there ) and the line was all the way back to bldg. 3 at Pop, but we were in line at the tapstyles at DHS at 7:22 (actually a little earlier, but that was the time stamp on a picture I took while waiting to get in the park). I hope you have really good luck with Skyliner during your Riviera stay. I'd just take your time leaving the park if you're staying until closing time and get to the Skyliner after the lines have died down.

For next weekend, CSR is sold out and Pop is 185. Port Orleans 242. Haven't seen prices that low in a long time.
We just wrapped up a stay at POFQ, it was $185/nt, that 35% promo they ran for summer stays was worth it.

I was looking into booking a trip for the end of March. I was surprised to see the cost of a standard room at POP was slightly more expensive than a standard room at CSR. I guess Disney feels the Skyliner is more valuable than the amenities at CSR!
End of March is easter/spring break so it's def peak season so prices will be insane for sure. However, $299 for POP or CSR any time of year is not a good deal. But as others mentioned, if you book, keep checking back for discounts you can apply and/or cancel and rebook.

I was looking into booking a trip for the end of March. I was surprised to see the cost of a standard room at POP was slightly more expensive than a standard room at CSR. I guess Disney feels the Skyliner is more valuable than the amenities at CSR!
Very odd. For my dates in Sept rack rate at Pop is noticeably less than rack rate at CSR. Wonder if they pushed through a big Pop price increase for ‘24?

Totally with you. This thread is making me feel old, lol. I know that back in the early 2000's when my son and I would go, I was able to get one of the All-Stars for like $69, sometimes $59, with the MKC discount. Dixie Landings for $99 if I was feeling particularly wealthy, lol. Even on my sad single mom budget it was doable back then. Now, between the ticket prices, the resort rates, and all the stuff that used to be free but is now $$, my husband and I with two incomes can only afford to go about every 5 years. 😞

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter