• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pop Century Room Renovations

Hi guys,

I'll be at Pop next Saturday for a week and am going to check in online and request a room in the 70's section (have a standard room). I would love a refurbished room, should I call and request that too, or do you think my chances are good with just my 70's section request?

Thanks!

Hi guys,

I'll be at Pop next Saturday for a week and am going to check in online and request a room in the 70's section (have a standard room). I would love a refurbished room, should I call and request that too, or do you think my chances are good with just my 70's section request?

Thanks!
I think you would be okay if you only put 70s. If you don’t get a room where you want, you can always go to the front desk when you arrive and ask if there are any others available.

Hi guys,

Thanks!

I agree, just requesting 70s is enough for a new room since both those buildings are complete.

I just stayed in the 2nd floor of the 80's building! I liked the location as it was easy to just go down the stairs and walk across the parking lot to the buses. Last year I stayed in the 70s building which felt further away. We really liked the refurbished rooms, they just feel so much cleaner and the beds are so nice now. We definitely wished there was more bedding since we're Midwesterners and are not used to sleeping with basically just a sheet, but I suppose that's Florida for you! The pillows are very comfy though, some of the best hotel pillows I've had. The TV is also huge and I like that they have a TV guide channel and each channel lists what show is playing.

I do wish they put in a normal sized mini fridge as there's definitely room, but it worked for our short trip. I was worried about the temperature but we didn't have any troubles and we kept leftovers and dairy in it. I'm not a huge fan of the sliding shower doors because they wouldn't stay shut. I'm also not used to having a shower head that has the water go straight down, but overall the bathroom is very nice. Definitely not sound proof at all but having two separate doors is nice, and I especially appreciated all the shelving and the closet being in the bathroom.

We kept the Murphy bed down the entire stay and found ourselves running into the corners of the beds a lot since they stick out. At least the corners are rounded so it didn't hurt too much. The number of outlets is convenient but not all of our USB plugs worked and I couldn't charge my phone and external battery on the same outlet.

Overall the refurb makes Pop feel much more like a hotel and worth the price. It felt much more like a motel before and it was harder for me to justify the cost basically only for the convenience of the bus system. We called in a request for a refurbished room (our only request) a few weeks before our stay. Our room was ready when we checked in at noon (we didn't get a text and it didn't show up as ready in MDE).

I just stayed in the 2nd floor of the 80's building! I liked the location as it was easy to just go down the stairs and walk across the parking lot to the buses. Last year I stayed in the 70s building which felt further away. We really liked the refurbished rooms, they just feel so much cleaner and the beds are so nice now. We definitely wished there was more bedding since we're Midwesterners and are not used to sleeping with basically just a sheet, but I suppose that's Florida for you! The pillows are very comfy though, some of the best hotel pillows I've had. The TV is also huge and I like that they have a TV guide channel and each channel lists what show is playing.

I do wish they put in a normal sized mini fridge as there's definitely room, but it worked for our short trip. I was worried about the temperature but we didn't have any troubles and we kept leftovers and dairy in it. I'm not a huge fan of the sliding shower doors because they wouldn't stay shut. I'm also not used to having a shower head that has the water go straight down, but overall the bathroom is very nice. Definitely not sound proof at all but having two separate doors is nice, and I especially appreciated all the shelving and the closet being in the bathroom.

We kept the Murphy bed down the entire stay and found ourselves running into the corners of the beds a lot since they stick out. At least the corners are rounded so it didn't hurt too much. The number of outlets is convenient but not all of our USB plugs worked and I couldn't charge my phone and external battery on the same outlet.

Overall the refurb makes Pop feel much more like a hotel and worth the price. It felt much more like a motel before and it was harder for me to justify the cost basically only for the convenience of the bus system. We called in a request for a refurbished room (our only request) a few weeks before our stay. Our room was ready when we checked in at noon (we didn't get a text and it didn't show up as ready in MDE).
That’s good to know you were able to get in at noon. We’re going in October and fly in at 9 am. We’re hoping to get a nap in before the Halloween party.

Has the height of space under the bed been posted?

Not sure the exact height, but we easily stored our 26 inch suitcase under the bed.

So we are back! Did not receive our requested 70s lakeview, but ended up in room 9461 which is in the 80s, top floor, with a very small view of the lake LOL. Overall I am happy with the selection though - room was on a back corner with very little foot traffic, but still very close to both buses and the computer pool. We unfortunately didn't even make it over to the 50s section to check on progress. All the sides of the 60s that we saw though appeared to have curtains and saw towel carts going room to room... only side we didn't see was the backside of the "T" facing the 50s.

Really happy with the room. The Murphy bed was easy peasy to put up and down for breakfast time. Makes a huge difference in the size of the room. DH appreciated the coffee maker. Fridge was servicable but definitely a larger one would have been nice. We fit a 2L milk in there on its side no problem along with a few odds and ends. The various cubbies are awesome for stashing stuff. There's an ingenious amount of storage in the room, even if the actual drawers are a bit shallow. So nice to have a fresh clean bathroom.

Only minor quibble was our bathroom fan stayed on the whole time. It didn't bother us enough to contact maintenance about it, but worth noting. I also didn't notice the floors being overly grimy.

Not sure the exact height, but we easily stored our 26 inch suitcase under the bed.

So we are back! Did not receive our requested 70s lakeview, but ended up in room 9461 which is in the 80s, top floor, with a very small view of the lake LOL. Overall I am happy with the selection though - room was on a back corner with very little foot traffic, but still very close to both buses and the computer pool. We unfortunately didn't even make it over to the 50s section to check on progress. All the sides of the 60s that we saw though appeared to have curtains and saw towel carts going room to room... only side we didn't see was the backside of the "T" facing the 50s.

Really happy with the room. The Murphy bed was easy peasy to put up and down for breakfast time. Makes a huge difference in the size of the room. DH appreciated the coffee maker. Fridge was servicable but definitely a larger one would have been nice. We fit a 2L milk in there on its side no problem along with a few odds and ends. The various cubbies are awesome for stashing stuff. There's an ingenious amount of storage in the room, even if the actual drawers are a bit shallow. So nice to have a fresh clean bathroom.

Only minor quibble was our bathroom fan stayed on the whole time. It didn't bother us enough to contact maintenance about it, but worth noting. I also didn't notice the floors being overly grimy.
I agree about the storage. We had four of us in the room and the amount of storage was great! We didn’t feel the room was too small for the four of us because we kept suitcases under beds and put shoes in the cabinet under the tv.

Our fan in the bathroom had trouble turning on so each time I went in I would stand up on the toilet and wave to it to get it to turn on lol

I have a preferred room booked in a week and would really like to stay in the 70s section to guarantee a refurb room. However, when doing early check in, I enter 70s section as my first choice and 60s as my second choice. When I save my selections, it erases my 1st choice of 70s and only keeps my 2nd choice of 60s. Is there a reason for this? Does this mean there are no preferred rooms left in the 70s section??

I have a preferred room booked in a week and would really like to stay in the 70s section to guarantee a refurb room. However, when doing early check in, I enter 70s section as my first choice and 60s as my second choice. When I save my selections, it erases my 1st choice of 70s and only keeps my 2nd choice of 60s. Is there a reason for this? Does this mean there are no preferred rooms left in the 70s section??
No that’s just how their system has been working lately. I called and had them put any notes on my reservation. They said they could see my two choices but it made me feel better calling and knowing for sure.

I've had the same problem, even had the issue for my trip last year...think its a glitch. You might be better off calling in your room request

The room request section of Online Check In has been goofy going on 2 years now. Your best bet is to call the Main Reservations line and ask the phone CM to add any requests to your reservation. This can be done any time from the day you book up until 4-5 days out.

I measured the clearance under the bed as 14.5 inches.
Thanks for this! I was surprised when someone earlier mentioned a higher distance as I really didn't remember the beds being that high off the floor but didn't want to disagree as I had no way to measure. 14.5" sounds much more reasonable.

My trip isn't until October, so I haven't been in a rush to do the early check in. Still, may I request a room with a bathtub via the online check in feature? If I intend to utilize the food court at Art of Animation which "end" of the resort is closest? Are the coffeemakers Keurig style or premixed filters? Thanks!

My trip isn't until October, so I haven't been in a rush to do the early check in. Still, may I request a room with a bathtub via the online check in feature?

No. You'll have to phone that one in.

If I intend to utilize the food court at Art of Animation which "end" of the resort is closest?

Request "close to bridge".

Are the coffeemakers Keurig style or premixed filters? Thanks!

Premixed filters.

The room request section of Online Check In has been goofy going on 2 years now. Your best bet is to call the Main Reservations line and ask the phone CM to add any requests to your reservation. This can be done any time from the day you book up until 4-5 days out.

Thank you! I called today and was able to put down my requests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter