• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pop Century Room Renovations

Thank you! Do you know if they're the same mattress? Some of our party is worried that it is a different mattress that won't be as comfortable? I don't have much for experience in murphy beds LOL

Both mattresses are identical. There are pictures earlier in this thread of the beds with mattresses, before bedding. They are identical.

Forgive me for being annoying here.... is there a timeline for completions of buildings? we're going beginning of November, so just curious what's scheduled to be done for renovations at that point... :scratchin

there is no published schedule and it appears that renovations are taking longer than originally anticipated. The papers taped to the windows appeared to show a 3 week window to change a room. The first rooms were started in early March and went back into circulation in early June so they took 3 months+ rather than 3 weeks. No other rooms are back in circulation yet even though the second set has been closed for a while now.

I was hoping that once the first building was completed things might move a little more quickly but I'm not sure that's the case. Can't remember when they started the 80's building.

Personally, I will be surprised if the renovations are completed by next spring but I'd be happy to be proven wrong!

Both mattresses are identical. There are pictures earlier in this thread of the beds with mattresses, before bedding. They are identical.

there is no published schedule and it appears that renovations are taking longer than originally anticipated. The papers taped to the windows appeared to show a 3 week window to change a room. The first rooms were started in early March and went back into circulation in early June so they took 3 months+ rather than 3 weeks. No other rooms are back in circulation yet even though the second set has been closed for a while now.

I was hoping that once the first building was completed things might move a little more quickly but I'm not sure that's the case. Can't remember when they started the 80's building.

Personally, I will be surprised if the renovations are completed by next spring but I'd be happy to be proven wrong!

I agree since they have not sped up the process once first building was done, therefore thinking they grossly underestimated this project, there is a good chance we will see a refiling of the permits to get them an extension.

That's me as well. I travel alone a lot of the time. Especially when I'm staying at a value resort, since I don't need much room. I'm heading to Pop in early Sept and would love a rehabbed room. I just did online checkin. Wonder what requests would get me the best shot at a new room.
I just did this too, I check in on 9-5 and I asked for an 80's room and a 90's and no early check in

I'm trying to complete my Online Check-In but when I click the link it just goes to my reservation without any options to select. It's a FD BB I booked last September while at Disney. I wonder if I'll need to call to make a room request?

I'm trying to complete my Online Check-In but when I click the link it just goes to my reservation without any options to select. It's a FD BB I booked last September while at Disney. I wonder if I'll need to call to make a room request?
Mine was a free dining BB from last year and it let me check in. I just had to add a card.

Thank you for the update.

Are they painting bldg 6 the same color as before (light green)?

This is getting really frustrating, and I'm not even going until February. I really didn't think every single building was going to drag out for 3 months, but it's sure starting to sound that way.
They were painting it green. Looked to be just refreshing it.

What they are doing seems to be major work. Some of the rooms I walked by in building 9 looked as if they had been stripped down to the studs. Possible they are repairing water damage, etc.

It definitely did not look as simple as replacing flooring, repainting, and replacing furniture.

My husband has done some remodeling of our house and there is always something that comes up- water damage, the need to replumb or rewire something. That kind of work takes a very long time. He just gutted our master bathroom and has been working on it for four months and it is still not done. And that's just one bathroom.

I am afraid the new prices are going to reflect all the work and expense. I just looked at prices for next April and the rack rate standard room is over $200 a night at Pop. :sad1: That's a big difference from what I just paid in the last five nights. Even if they issue a 10 or 20 percent discount, that is still a big rate jump.

Last edited:
Thank you! Do you know if they're the same mattress? Some of our party is worried that it is a different mattress that won't be as comfortable? I don't have much for experience in murphy beds LOL
We stayed in room 8246 and checked out on Wednesday. Both beds are very comfortable. The Murphy bed mattress is very thick and comfortable. The beds are quiet and don't squeak when you turn over at night, and both were very comfortable. We loved the new rooms and will definitely stay here again.

I was really hoping they would have at least part of the 70's done by our mid September trip..We paid for a preferred room, but our travel agent put in a request for a refurbished room. I would rather have the refurbished room than preferred!

I was really hoping they would have at least part of the 70's done by our mid September trip..We paid for a preferred room, but our travel agent put in a request for a refurbished room. I would rather have the refurbished room than preferred!
I just modified to switch our reservations from ASMu to POP in November. I also put in a request for a refurbished room. She made sure I knew that it was only a request and not a guarantee... LOL I told her that by the time we get there, we're hoping for more buildings to be done because I don't care about what view we have ;) We had sworn off POP 2 years ago when we were there because of how dirty the rooms were and how many things didn't work. The new rooms have me wanting to go back!

@AtlantaDisneyDreamer thank you for the response.

Urgh, I am feeling really bad for the folks going this summer who wanted a new room. I know we always lament how long things take at WDW, but - man this is taking so long! I'm not even going till Feb 2018 and I'm sitting here rationalizing, "Oh, well, the old room was really fine..."
If it makes you feel any better....

I really enjoyed my stay in a non refurbished room. It was clean and quiet. And look at it this way: These are the retro rooms. We won't have many chances in the future to stay in them. We'll have lots of time to stay in the refurbished rooms in the years to come. This is our last chance for a classic room. ;)

@AtlantaDisneyDreamer thank you for the response.

Urgh, I am feeling really bad for the folks going this summer who wanted a new room. I know we always lament how long things take at WDW, but - man this is taking so long! I'm not even going till Feb 2018 and I'm sitting here rationalizing, "Oh, well, the old room was really fine..."

I'm totally doing the same thing regarding our Nov trip.

The ONLY request I made was for a Refurbished room.

But I keep repeating to myself "I can live without coffee in the room - I don't mind packing all my power bars and chargers - we love the (now) old rooms". o_O

I think if we don't end up in a new room we'll be disappointed but I know it'll wear off quickly when we get "moved" in properly for our 12 nights. It's just the sitting at home, looking at (and maybe obsessing over) photos of the updates and thinking MUST HAVE NEW ROOM. Once we get there I don't think we'll care.

What are the chances that the 70's will be finished by late Nov? I really like building 10? The building with Big Mickey phone

My problem is that I'd rather have Preferred (mostly because there are tons of groups there in early Feb and I figure they are in the standard rooms).

If it makes you feel any better....

I really enjoyed my stay in a non refurbished room. It was clean and quiet. And look at it this way: These are the retro rooms. We won't have many chances in the future to stay in them. We'll have lots of time to stay in the refurbished rooms in the years to come. This is our last chance for a classic room. ;)

I was there in early Feb this year and was very happy with the ("old") room; it was clean and comfortable and perfectly fine. And yeah, I've been going yearly and plan/hope to keep it up, so I'll get a new room sooner or later.

I'm totally doing the same thing regarding our Nov trip.

The ONLY request I made was for a Refurbished room.

But I keep repeating to myself "I can live without coffee in the room - I don't mind packing all my power bars and chargers - we love the (now) old rooms". o_O

I think if we don't end up in a new room we'll be disappointed but I know it'll wear off quickly when we get "moved" in properly for our 12 nights. It's just the sitting at home, looking at (and maybe obsessing over) photos of the updates and thinking MUST HAVE NEW ROOM. Once we get there I don't think we'll care.

LOL, I'm not a coffee drinker but boy I sure do want that hand held shower head! I am totally with you on the New Room Obsession, but yeah, in the end it is just being at WDW that counts.

And my dates are still so far out, who knows how far they'll be by then.

We're going in early September and I'll be requesting 50's / lake view.

As much as we would love a refurbished room, we don't really like the 80's and 90's side of the resort. If 70's were done by September, I would request 70's lake view, but that's starting to look impossible, so I guess we get one more trip at Pop the way we're used to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter