Pop Century Room Renovations

I just went and looked at some pics/ video of the Cabana Bay rooms and I think you may be onto something! They are very retro-60s and I am suddenly buying the turquoise/orange idea if they do it well. It's not something I ever would have come up with, but it just might work.

I'm loving the thought of a teal/Orange combo! :)

I called the other day to update our room reservation to the new deal and was told by the cast member, "I need to inform you about renovations at Pop Century during your stay". I asked for details and she said that according to the system it would be external areas only, e.g. not rooms. We check in on August 29th.

Don't know how accurate that is, but if it is right they should be done the rooms by then.

Unless you are going 2018 they told you wrong. This will take until late spring 2018 to complete.

I made a future stay reservation and was also told about landscape refurbishment, as well.

Please clear up "the thicket" by the Preferred side of building 1 (rooms 13-36). That's the one Preferred area I don't want to be in because of the dense vegetation right up against the building.

Agree completely.

I even think spring 2018 is pushing it. Disney years are like dog years, but backwards ;)

Permits dropped I think in November for April 2018 finish - but then they delayed and didn't start until early March and it appears to be moving slow, two months and just now on 2nd building :confused3

They will have to speed up or maybe amend the permit.

I was a bit suspicious so I questioned it, saying I had heard about the rooms. She said that according to the system it said external only. But yes, I realize it may not be accurate. Shouldn't really affect us regardless (since we'll be at the parks all day I expect).

I was a bit suspicious so I questioned it, saying I had heard about the rooms. She said that according to the system it said external only. But yes, I realize it may not be accurate. Shouldn't really affect us regardless (since we'll be at the parks all day I expect).

And at moment nothing is happening outside (and I was just there). Phone CMs are very well known for giving bad information. Many don't live in Orlando or ever been to Disney World, so they lose that connect/visual. The ones who are good have spent extra time on the HUB and keeping up to date with Disney on their own. Their screens tell them minimal probably because Disney doesn't want them scaring anyone away with "bad news". If they can't answer something, to move guests off the phone faster they often just make stuff up. :confused3

I NEVER call Disney. I use the website and if I have a true question I send it to Guest Relations. If you are curious about something, it can usually be answered here factually and at least we have the ability to say we don't know ......... they don't.

Yes, I know that the phone reps are unreliable. I just found it interesting that she told me that she needed to tell me about construction (ie. that the computer system was telling her to tell me) but then said it was external and confirmed that the system wanted her to inform me but that it specifically said external/ landscaping. I hadn't called to ask a question, and I didn't mention the upgrades: I called to update my package (so it was something she brought up herself).

Yes, I know that the phone reps are unreliable. I just found it interesting that she told me that she needed to tell me about construction (ie. that the computer system was telling her to tell me) but then said it was external and confirmed that the system wanted her to inform me but that it specifically said external/ landscaping. I hadn't called to ask a question, and I didn't mention the upgrades: I called to update my package (so it was something she brought up herself).
If you were booked at POP then they really should be telling up front about the renovations and because they don't know if you knew about them or if were told about them previously I'm sure they are advised to notify each guest during the interaction...those aren't a secret at all and if you book online it currently will tell you the following:
upload_2017-4-30_11-54-11.png
upload_2017-4-30_11-54-41.png

Someone who booked prior to Disney announcing it may not know now that it is undergoing construction depending on if Disney has formerly announced it via e-mail or whatnot.

As for the external/landscaping...I've got no clue on that part why they would say that.

Yes of course they should tell guests and it seemed that the computer system was prompting the cast member to do that.

But this cast member *specifically* said that it was external renovations only, like landscaping. This was unprompted by me as I already knew about the refurbishments. And when I asked her about the room refurbishments, she looked again and confirmed that the system was telling her it was only landscaping etc., and that rooms were not mentioned.

So, if they are being required to inform guests (which it seems she was), that makes a lot of sense. But why are they not informing cast members through their system that the rooms are being refurbished? It's just very odd.

Work was underway this morning. It looked like exterior doors were getting primed. I saw a teal or turquoise color on the bathroom vanity wall and the bathroom door frame painted orange, if my eyes don't deceive me.
I love teal! I hope they add some colour, the sterile cold white dorm room look is not very appealing to me. I liked the blue of the current rooms and the carpet. But really the most important think is the coffee maker! Lol. :coffee:

Were they laminate or vinyl? The new vinyl is good looking, quiet (softer and install is different) and lots of other pluses .... except hard to clean. I've heard many can't tell difference. And I am putting it in my kitchen :crazy2: in a couple weeks, but with dogs ... nails on hardwood are not an option right now ... and I am having laminate taken out. Vinyl has become very popular in apartments, hotels and commercial, especially the planking. It's not like the old vinyl flooring.
I just had it put in my basement Rec room. We had laminate, only 3 yrs old, but had a water leak and laminate lifted.
It's the plank style and looks really good. Haven't found it difficult to clean.

For those there now, have you gone back for afternoon naps? How's the noise? We will be there the first of June and have little ones, and ourselves, lol that will be going back for afternoon breaks.

Eye on the sky reporting in. This morning the 80s wing was getting fenced off. All the linens have been removed from those rooms. Only furniture remains and some trash. I think curtains are in some of the 90s building rooms because there is red/orange on the edges, like in the earlier photos. White cubbies were being carried in, too.

I just called guest services to ask what to expect at POP during our end of September visit. She looked up specifics and said they would still be doing room refurbishments and some buildings would be closed. They are also going to be beginning the new infrastructure inside of Hourglass Lake. I am a bit worried that this is going to be crazy and noisy. She did say that noise would be kept between 9 and dusk and that the food court and pools should be open and untouched.

Last edited:
I just called guest services at POP to ask what to expect during our end of September visit. She looked up specifics and said they would still be doing room refurbishments and some buildings would be closed. They are also going to be beginning the new infrastructure inside of Hourglass Lake. I am a bit worried that this is going to be crazy and noisy. She did say that noise would be kept between 9 and dusk and that the food court and pools should be open and untouched.
I really hope the bridge doesn't need to be closed down.

I just called guest services at POP to ask what to expect during our end of September visit. She looked up specifics and said they would still be doing room refurbishments and some buildings would be closed. They are also going to be beginning the new infrastructure inside of Hourglass Lake. I am a bit worried that this is going to be crazy and noisy. She did say that noise would be kept between 9 and dusk and that the food court and pools should be open and untouched.

Wonder what they're doing?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter