Pop Century Room Renovations

Sorry, I am sure this has already been answered before but are they redoing all the rooms to be like this?

Sorry, I am sure this has already been answered before but are they redoing all the rooms to be like this?

I don't think anyone knows.

Personally, I think it should be a category because I see the appeal to singles and couples, but not all the rooms.

Unless they are trying to drive a different customer to this resort ....

This got me thinking .... so I have to fold the bed away for us to eat breakfast since we do eat in the room. Then unless I make the effort to move the chairs and unfold the bed again .... mousekeeping may assume we didn't use the bed (since there is just two of us, but myself and adult DS) and therefore not make up the bed etc. So now I am doing lots of extra physical work in the mornings for us to get out the door. :(

I can tell you that when we stayed in the cabins at FW, mousekeeping always addressed the murphy bed, even though we had it stowed away every morning. And like others have said, we actually preferred the murphy bed because it provides more support. And also like others have said, its very easy to stow away.

I can tell you that when we stayed in the cabins at FW, mousekeeping always addressed the murphy bed, even though we had it stowed away every morning. And like others have said, we actually preferred the murphy bed because it provides more support. And also like others have said, its very easy to stow away.

That's fine if it happens. I'm not confident since they are increasing POP housekeeping overall work. Cabin housekeeping is used to the work load. Will be interesting.

Regardless a queen bed and a full Murphy bed are not going to be embraced by many who prefer two beds AND want a table available at all times. I get some others like it. Am sure there will be many who won't.

They also need to market and be very clear that guests are not getting two beds. When I book cabins or AoA suites I know what I'm getting. When I book a guest room that sleeps 4, I would never expect a Murphy bed. This is equal to a queen bed and sofabed offering without the benefit of a sofa.

I don't think anyone knows.

Personally, I think it should be a category because I see the appeal to singles and couples, but not all the rooms.

Unless they are trying to drive a different customer to this resort ....
It's funny you should say that. Pop Century is my least favorite resort and would easily be the last one I would choose to stay at. However, I find these new rooms intriguing. I would like the extra space that not having the second bed pulled down would grant us. Is the other bed still a double or did it get upgraded to queen? I've seen conflicting reports. If it's a double, forget it. Queen, though, might make me consider staying there again.

That's fine if it happens. I'm not confident since they are increasing POP housekeeping overall work. Cabin housekeeping is used to the work load. Will be interesting.

Regardless a queen bed and a full Murphy bed are not going to be embraced by many who prefer two beds AND want a table available at all times. I get some others like it. Am sure there will be many who won't.

They also need to market and be very clear that guests are not getting two beds. When I book cabins or AoA suites I know what I'm getting. When I book a guest room that sleeps 4, I would never expect a Murphy bed. This is equal to a queen bed and sofabed offering without the benefit of a sofa.

I would greatly disagree with this last statement. A murphy bed is a bed - MUCH more comfortable than a pull out sofa. To me, its equal to one queen and one full. Its a normal mattress on a platform bed. But I definitely agree that it should be clear when booking, and I'd have no reason to expect it wouldn't be. Disney seems to be clear on other similar issues at other resorts, as you mentioned.

It's funny you should say that. Pop Century is my least favorite resort and would easily be the last one I would choose to stay at. However, I find these new rooms intriguing. I would like the extra space that not having the second bed pulled down would grant us. Is the other bed still a double or did it get upgraded to queen? I've seen conflicting reports. If it's a double, forget it. Queen, though, might make me consider staying there again.

Out of curiosity, what drove you away? Why do you prefer the other values over Pop?

Is the other bed still a double or did it get upgraded to queen? I've seen conflicting reports. If it's a double, forget it. Queen, though, might make me consider staying there again.

From what we've heard, the 'normal' bed will be a queen and the Murphy bed will be a double.

All reports I have seen is a double murphy, just like AoA.

No doubt it will have fans, like my friend that is going when we are is a single, so now he gets a queen bed and a roomier room, and won't even use the fold down.

It's fine for families who all go to bed at the same time and the kids will sleep in the murphy.

But we are usually 2 or 3 adults, myself and two DS. Now if I am there alone with one DS, he goes to bed early while I work on computer at table. But now the table is his bed .... or will I now have to give him a queen and myself sleep on a murphy bed? We eat in our room for breakfast, so I have to play the up and down with the bed game to use the table.

It doesn't help the pictures look like hospital rooms and the floors appear to be vinyl. Not fun to keep clean and with all this extra work being put on housekeeping, I'm thinking some real cleaning won't happen unless they hire more and reduce the number of rooms they have. Aside from the setup not really working for us, the room no longer visually appeals to me unless it's something different than those pictures.

NOW will this mean the big groups will no longer stay there? cause I see lots of broken murphy beds.... That could be a huge plus and worth putting up with it. We shall see. I just have to think if this is the plan for all rooms .... they have a specific demographic in mind because it's not a fits all solution.

Out of curiosity, what drove you away? Why do you prefer the other values over Pop?
For what it's worth, I'm not a big fan of any of the values. But, I would stay at any of the All Stars and definitely Art of Animation again before I'd choose to stay at Pop again. I think Art of Animation, including the Little Mermaid rooms, are really significantly above the other values and since you just asked about the All Stars, I'll leave the rest of my commentary about Art of Animation out. I have stayed at each of the All Stars (Movies twice) and Pop Century. All of them have the same larger than life decorations on the outside of the rooms which can definitely be fun and set the mood for a fun family atmosphere, but can also be a bit much. Just looking at the outside of the resort, my preferences would likely be Pop, Movies, Music, and then Sports. I love the idea of the decades and did enjoy reading all of the trivia posts on the signs as I ran the trail in the morning. However, I find the rooms to be completely boring at Pop. At Movies, I feel like there is a little more theming than the other All Stars and a lot more than at Pop. In Pop, the room is just so standard. Now, if the rooms actually had furniture that was throwback to the decades, that would be different. As is, I feel like it is just a boring hotel room and all of the decoration is saved for the outside. I thought the food court was so chaotic, as well. The All Stars could get busy and crowded, but I never was as crowded as I was at Pop and it never seemed as loud. There were also fewer kids running around while their parents did nothing when I was at the All Stars. Also, and this is likely to offend people, I noticed a lot more scooters at Pop than I have at any other resort and, quite honestly, it is really irritating to be waiting for a bus in line, for a bus to pull up and you just miss that bus because it filled up with the people in front of you, so you continue to wait. Then, an ECV comes up, well after you have been waiting, and they get to load first along with their entire party. At Pop, there were so many ECVs that it felt like this happened time and time again. So basically, it felt like I was in the most boring room, things were loud and chaotic if I wasn't in my boring room, and circumstances made it difficult for me to get on a bus to leave the park and get back to the chaos and my boring room.

But, with the new room, I think that I would enjoy the added space and there seems to be more in terms of Disney going on with the theme, might could get some food delivered by Garden Grocer so I could avoid the chaos at peek times in the food court, and might have a much better attitude when a person who unfortunately does need the assistance of an ECV comes up which could lead to me not be annoyed that all of their family gets a seat on the bus while I either have to stand or wait for the next one.

From what we've heard, the 'normal' bed will be a queen and the Murphy bed will be a double.
Interesting. Thanks a lot.

For what it's worth, I'm not a big fan of any of the values. But, I would stay at any of the All Stars and definitely Art of Animation again before I'd choose to stay at Pop again. I think Art of Animation, including the Little Mermaid rooms, are really significantly above the other values and since you just asked about the All Stars, I'll leave the rest of my commentary about Art of Animation out. I have stayed at each of the All Stars (Movies twice) and Pop Century. All of them have the same larger than life decorations on the outside of the rooms which can definitely be fun and set the mood for a fun family atmosphere, but can also be a bit much. Just looking at the outside of the resort, my preferences would likely be Pop, Movies, Music, and then Sports. I love the idea of the decades and did enjoy reading all of the trivia posts on the signs as I ran the trail in the morning. However, I find the rooms to be completely boring at Pop. At Movies, I feel like there is a little more theming than the other All Stars and a lot more than at Pop. In Pop, the room is just so standard. Now, if the rooms actually had furniture that was throwback to the decades, that would be different. As is, I feel like it is just a boring hotel room and all of the decoration is saved for the outside. I thought the food court was so chaotic, as well. The All Stars could get busy and crowded, but I never was as crowded as I was at Pop and it never seemed as loud. There were also fewer kids running around while their parents did nothing when I was at the All Stars. Also, and this is likely to offend people, I noticed a lot more scooters at Pop than I have at any other resort and, quite honestly, it is really irritating to be waiting for a bus in line, for a bus to pull up and you just miss that bus because it filled up with the people in front of you, so you continue to wait. Then, an ECV comes up, well after you have been waiting, and they get to load first along with their entire party. At Pop, there were so many ECVs that it felt like this happened time and time again. So basically, it felt like I was in the most boring room, things were loud and chaotic if I wasn't in my boring room, and circumstances made it difficult for me to get on a bus to leave the park and get back to the chaos and my boring room.

But, with the new room, I think that I would enjoy the added space and there seems to be more in terms of Disney going on with the theme, might could get some food delivered by Garden Grocer so I could avoid the chaos at peek times in the food court, and might have a much better attitude when a person who unfortunately does need the assistance of an ECV comes up which could lead to me not be annoyed that all of their family gets a seat on the bus while I either have to stand or wait for the next one.

Interesting. Thanks a lot.
Thanks for the feedback.

Right now they are working on rooms in building 8 and rooms from 25 to 48. Looks like construction is using one of the elevators. Guests might be able to use it in the evenings

Since they are starting the refurbishments in the 80's/90's, will they then move to the next buildings, the 70's? Anybody have any insider info. on this?

All reports I have seen is a double murphy, just like AoA.

No doubt it will have fans, like my friend that is going when we are is a single, so now he gets a queen bed and a roomier room, and won't even use the fold down.

It's fine for families who all go to bed at the same time and the kids will sleep in the murphy.

But we are usually 2 or 3 adults, myself and two DS. Now if I am there alone with one DS, he goes to bed early while I work on computer at table. But now the table is his bed .... or will I now have to give him a queen and myself sleep on a murphy bed? We eat in our room for breakfast, so I have to play the up and down with the bed game to use the table.

It doesn't help the pictures look like hospital rooms and the floors appear to be vinyl. Not fun to keep clean and with all this extra work being put on housekeeping, I'm thinking some real cleaning won't happen unless they hire more and reduce the number of rooms they have. Aside from the setup not really working for us, the room no longer visually appeals to me unless it's something different than those pictures.

NOW will this mean the big groups will no longer stay there? cause I see lots of broken murphy beds.... That could be a huge plus and worth putting up with it. We shall see. I just have to think if this is the plan for all rooms .... they have a specific demographic in mind because it's not a fits all solution.

We haven't seen a completed room so we don't know for sure what the table situation will be. I wouldn't get down on it until you see a completed room.

We haven't seen a completed room so we don't know for sure what the table situation will be. I wouldn't get down on it until you see a completed room.

True, those photos could be totally fabricated. But if true I think it's pretty safe there won't be two tables in a room that small unless there is going to be a desk unit on tv wall. We'll see ... I'll be there in April so I'll poke around.

In the pictures, it looks like the murphy bed table only seats two. At AoA the table seats four and the little stools stack to the side when the bed is down. Going from a two person table to a two person table doesn't really help our family much, especially if we now lose the ability to sit on both beds to eat.

On the other hand, hard surface floors lowers the bedbug risk and you no longer have to worry about what is lingering in the fibers.

I am assuming that the beverage station can work as a charging station for my family as that is what we currently use the table for. Fingers crossed for USB outlets or, at least, a more convenient electrical outlet.

The changes look interesting but I'm not big on the color scheme: too bland and icky like being in a Motel 6. I was hoping the schemes and color designs would be different for each room based on what decade building they're in.

Also can the room even have the space to expand the bed to a queen? I read this morning on one website how the standard rooms in Pop and AoA are 277 sq ft whereas the standards in the All Star resorts are even smaller (260 sq ft). Is this even correct? Cause that would probably answer my first question anyway.

I have a theory that if these new rooms do become popular though that they'll do a similar change with The Little Mermaid rooms at AoA, considering they're the most popular Value standard rooms at WDW and they're the same basic layout as the PoP rooms anyway. I don't think they'll do the same with the All Stars though. They'll want to keep those as the cheapest of the Disney rooms.

I hate to have an opinion before I actually experience something but from what I'm seeing in these photos I'm not loving the new layout.

I only travel with my DD. Our vacations are longish (usually around 12 nights) and we aren't commando style visitors so we use our room a lot for relaxing, watching movies, snacking, eating, napping on and off etc. I simply can't see myself bothering to raise and lower the bed all day - and there goes the table :sad2:.

Even now we set up the ironing board against the wall separating the washroom and the main room to place random things like our handbags or new purchases because we like to keep our table clear for eating and keeping our snacks on. Its just a little extra storage space I guess.

I'm not sure if this setup will be best for us but I'm willing to check it out.

I'm adding the photos from the referenced thread for convenience to those reading through this thread......

IMG_3523.JPG IMG_3524.JPG IMG_3525.JPG

I hate to have an opinion before I actually experience something but from what I'm seeing in these photos I'm not loving the new layout.

I only travel with my DD. Our vacations are longish (usually around 12 nights) and we aren't commando style visitors so we use our room a lot for relaxing, watching movies, snacking, eating, napping on and off etc. I simply can't see myself bothering to raise and lower the bed all day - and there goes the table :sad2:.

Even now we set up the ironing board against the wall separating the washroom and the main room to place random things like our handbags or new purchases because we like to keep our table clear for eating and keeping our snacks on. Its just a little extra storage space I guess.

I'm not sure if this setup will be best for us but I'm willing to check it out.

I'm adding the photos from the referenced thread for convenience to those reading through this thread......

View attachment 226329 View attachment 226330 View attachment 226331
I also travel with my (adult) daughter and have long stays 10-14 days. We've only stayed at Pop twice, using it for arrival night before going to deluxe resort next day. Also not commando touring. This Nov we are staying all 10 nights at Pop. I have the same concerns about room, lack of stand alone table, and dealing with Murphy bed.

I don't much like the look of the room either, all white walls, looks like a dorm room. And new fridge with glass door really cuts down on storage space inside fridge, not having the racks for drinks on inside of door. Only thing I'm happy about is the possibility of a coffee maker in room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter