• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pop Century Room Renovations

I just read one comment about the shower sliding doors. I forgot to say that ours too kept sliding open, but oddly, only for the last few days. It was fine the first week and a half. We had to use one of our larger shampoo bottles to prevent it from sliding.

Ours did too, I threw a towel over the top to keep it shut.

Our flight doesn’t arrive until 5pm and I think it will negatively affect my chances of getting a refurbished room. While room assignments are done 2-3 days in advance we read often on here of people arriving, being assigned an old room, requesting a refurbished room and that request being granted. They have to find that room somewhere and my guess is it’s from people who haven’t arrived yet.

I’m hoping I’m wrong but am also fully prepared not to have my refurbished room request granted due to my late arrival time.

Not saying I’m right, just how I’m preparing myself. I guess the one thing that disproves my theory (and in this case that’s a good thing ) is that room sssignnent notifications go out earlier in the day. I can’t see them changing a room once the notification has been sent...hopefully!)

I hope that isn't case. We don't land until 9pm. The main reason we want a refurbished room is for the beds.

I wondered if having requested a refurbished room along with a medical deep clean would decrease my chances of getting a refurbished room (especially since it would take longer to clean the room and have it ready), but if the room assignments are done 2-3 days before arrival?
Not sure about the chances of getting a refurbished room but I can speak to our experience with the deep clean. With my son's asthma and allergies, we request the same cleaning. When checking in once, it was early in the day and asked if any rooms were open. The CM told us that there were and that he usually could put us into one of those rooms but since we had a "deep clean" requested, he was not able to do so. I vaguely remember him saying something to the effect the room was "locked" (but I could be mistaken). Also, we have waited until way past check in times in the past because, as we were told, the deep clean was not completed yet. This was at other Disney hotels; not at Pop. I suspect that once your room is allocated with a deep clean it is difficult (or perhaps impossible) for the check-in cast members to make a room change. Once again, this is only a theory.

Not sure about the chances of getting a refurbished room but I can speak to our experience with the deep clean. With my son's asthma and allergies, we request the same cleaning. When checking in once, it was early in the day and asked if any rooms were open. The CM told us that there were and that he usually could put us into one of those rooms but since we had a "deep clean" requested, he was not able to do so. I vaguely remember him saying something to the effect the room was "locked" (but I could be mistaken). Also, we have waited until way past check in times in the past because, as we were told, the deep clean was not completed yet. This was at other Disney hotels; not at Pop. I suspect that once your room is allocated with a deep clean it is difficult (or perhaps impossible) for the check-in cast members to make a room change. Once again, this is only a theory.

I've never had to request this but it would be understandable that they wouldn't be able to just make a room switch. There is a lot that goes into the deep clean and takes awhile to be completed.

Ours kept sliding open too...I just reversed the doors (I slid the front one to the back and the back one to the front) and it stopped.
I'm not sure I tried that. LOL. But I reversed them at the beginning of our stay because I felt it helped less water escape the shower.

Our flight doesn’t arrive until 5pm and I think it will negatively affect my chances of getting a refurbished room. While room assignments are done 2-3 days in advance we read often on here of people arriving, being assigned an old room, requesting a refurbished room and that request being granted. They have to find that room somewhere and my guess is it’s from people who haven’t arrived yet.

I’m hoping I’m wrong but am also fully prepared not to have my refurbished room request granted due to my late arrival time.

Not saying I’m right, just how I’m preparing myself. I guess the one thing that disproves my theory (and in this case that’s a good thing ) is that room sssignnent notifications go out earlier in the day. I can’t see them changing a room once the notification has been sent...hopefully!)
Our plane flies in at around 5:30 pm, but I'm still hoping for a refurbished room. We flew in late at night when we went this year to POR and after going to the front desk they were still able to make sure we could change rooms. It might not happen for us this time, but I'm still going to try. I might even call early that morning and try that way, too.

Rooms are assigned 2-3 days out so when you check in has no affect on getting your requests granted.

Actually, it coould. They may be assigned but that can change up until you get your room assignment. If someone checks in first and wants to request a different room, your room could get changed.

Just got back from Pop and didn't get a refurbished room but the stay was pleasant for the most part. did check to see if building 6 was being worked on and it looks to be progressing slightly faster than 10 did. Had two big downers though. 1) Had a fever 103 F and stomach flu for 2 days but was able to enjoy all the parks. 2) Had a $50 gift card that was in a folder and one day we came back from the parks and the gift was missing. Didn't know what to do and I forgot to take a picture of the card number so I couldn't check to see if it had been used luckily i had a second card $80 on it and used it for a lot of my impulse buys. But all in all was a wonderful first stay at pop and would love to stay again.

For anyone that has stayed in a renovated room, are tea bags provided as well as coffee? And do the disposable cups have lids?
Thanks in advance!

Just got back from Pop and didn't get a refurbished room but the stay was pleasant for the most part. did check to see if building 6 was being worked on and it looks to be progressing slightly faster than 10 did. Had two big downers though. 1) Had a fever 103 F and stomach flu for 2 days but was able to enjoy all the parks. 2) Had a $50 gift card that was in a folder and one day we came back from the parks and the gift was missing. Didn't know what to do and I forgot to take a picture of the card number so I couldn't check to see if it had been used luckily i had a second card $80 on it and used it for a lot of my impulse buys. But all in all was a wonderful first stay at pop and would love to stay again.

So did that mean you were hot blooded, checked it to see, since you had a fever of one hundred and three? :rotfl: (Please get the reference, so I don't feel too old)

Seriously though, sorry to hear you got sick, but glad you were still able to enjoy all the parks. :thumbsup2

If you noticed "crap" in your sink when you return for the night call - it stops up and back fills - tonight it was orange and what looked and smelled like banana pieces- I'm still coughing and gagging and now the room smells like cleaner but thankfully tech came pretty quickly

If you noticed "crap" in your sink when you return for the night call - it stops up and back fills - tonight it was orange and what looked and smelled like banana pieces- I'm still coughing and gagging and now the room smells like cleaner but thankfully tech came pretty quickly
:crazy2: Just what you want when you’re tired after a long day!

Me too! We actually saw Foreigner in concert in October.
Really? That's pretty awesome! I think they were in our state awhile back, but we didn't go see them. I used to listen to that song when I was little whenever it came on the radio.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter