Pop Century refurbed rooms??

suzydisney971

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone

Due to the prices (hoping for a discount), Pop Century seems to be the best bet due to location and price. Does everyone like the refurbished rooms? Not sure if I like the idea of the murphy bed and losing the table. DH, DS (10 at the time we go) and I are hoping to go to Disney next year (first week of August, 2018 to be exact) and are trying to decide where to stay. The past few times we have gone, we stayed at the Dolphin but prices being quoted are out of the budget even with AAA discount and we've stayed at POFQ. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

they are neat! and you can beat the “new” feeling... TV is huge new beverage station and the bathroom feels bigger... I loved we were a family of 5! we had 2 carry on, 1 large luggage + stroller and pack and play and we where very happy with the refurbished room. Loosing the table wasn’t too bad for us kids will be stepping and me and my husband could manage without the table, and the table was only needed for breakfast, when obviously the kids where up and if needed on the other bed, by the time we use the table there’s no need for the extra bed.

I'm in a refurbished room right now! We keep the table bed down all the time, and I don't really miss having a table.

Although, the table bed is super easy to pull up and down so if you really needed the table it is easy peasy.

Just stayed in one. I was not expecting to like it as much as I did! In fact, I loved the table bed so much that I am thinking of putting one in my guest room, which I also use as an office. It is super easy to put up and down. I could do it one-handed. We only put the bed down at night, it went up first thing in the morning, and it worked out well for us. The room feels really small with the bed down (I thought so at least), so keeping it up during the day gave us both the use of the table and extra space. The tv is, as someone else mentioned, HUGE. Bigger than any tv at my house, lol. The beverage station is a really great addition to the Pop rooms. I made good use of the coffeemaker! The refrigerator seems smaller than the ones I remember from the old rooms, but it held everything we needed it to and kept things nice and cool. The beds now sit a little higher to accommodate storage of suitcases underneath, which was great for us. We were doing a split stay, and I pack by the different parts of our trip. So everything for the second leg of our trip was in two suitcases that I could immediately stash out of the way under the bed.

The bathroom (aside from the sliding doors on the tub/shower, which we did not like) is a huge improvement. There is now an actual sliding door between the room and sink area. The counter space and cubbies are amazing (the Contemporary, with its non-existent counter space, needs a set-up like this). The closet area is a bit small, but we didn't really need to use it.

The style isn't my favorite. I have a hard time not wanting to call this resort the Mod Century. If IKEA is your thing, you're likely to love these rooms. The laminate floor, in our experience, was dirty. We took our shoes off at the door and wore socks in the room in an effort to not track dirt in, and they were grey on the bottom after walking around our room. The dirt was there before we were. Other than the dirt-magnet floor and the sliding door on the shower, we loved this room. It was not, in our experience, any louder than the old rooms, and this was a big concern of mine. I think, however, it really depends on who your neighbors are.

Ick, so the laminate floor was dirty before you got there. This bothers me! They put those in so they would be easier to clean or at least I thought they did! LOL
I also thought they put them in so that when dogs are present, they will be easier to clean up their messes. I know that there are only 3 dog resorts, but I think that is a test for all the resorts. Just my thought on it.
I don't like the Ikea look or mid century. I think it looks cheap, so I'm not happy at the new renovations and the plain hospital white beds. I do miss some Disney in the rooms. After all we are in Disney, not a motel 6.

We just left Wednesday. The bed was super easy to put up and down. The beds and pillows were very comfortable. The bathroom layout was great, lots of space. There is lots of storage space in the bathroom area and under the beds. While the decor is not my style, we loved the refurb.

We found the laminate floors at Coronado to be super dirty as well. Dirty when we checked in and not mopped or cleaned well the entire week we were there.

Thank you all for your opinions. I'm not too crazy about the laminate floors and it does look a bit sterile for a Disney hotel. My DH and I keep going back and forth between the Pop and French Quarter. I wanted to try a new place but I think we are leaning more towards the French Quarter. Not crazy about the food court at FQ but the new updated pool area looks like so much fun for my DS.

I appreciate everyone's assistance. Now just waiting on discounts!!

For those of you who have stayed on lower levels, have you found the refurbished rooms to be louder (no carpet)? Just curious.

For those of you who have stayed on lower levels, have you found the refurbished rooms to be louder (no carpet)? Just curious.
We stayed in a first floor room at Thanksgiving. The potential noise was my fear about the refurbished rooms, but from what we experienced, it was completely a non-issue. We heard no more noise than usual. A few bumps one night, likenour upstairs neighbors were moving their luggage around, but nothing much more than that. The toilets still flush loudly, and the walls are still thin, so there's noise that carries, but I didn't experience it as any different than usual.

In fact, Pop was the first part of a split stay for us, and we had a quieter stay at Pop than we did the rest of our trip at Wilderness Lodge. It all depends who your neighbors are, I think. Maybe my experience at Pop would have been different with noisy neighbors, but from this one trip, I didn't find the noise any more of an issue than before.

One thing to consider regarding the bed/table issue is put whoever is going to be going to bed first and/or getting up last in the regular bed and the others in the Murphy. The Murphy has the same size mattress and I slept on it for 11 nights, and it was extremely comfortable (to the point that when I got to the second half of my trip that was solo and could have switched over to the regular bed, I continued sleeping in the Murphy). So if the kids are first to sleep and last to rise, they go in the regular bed, and the adults can enjoy the table until bedtime and then put the bed down, and put it up with they awake in the morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter