Pool/Slide etiquette on DCL

Bex258

DIS Veteran
So this will probably sound silly but I don't swim and haven't been on a cruise before. I also couldn't spot the answer to this.

When you want to use the pool or go on a slide, do you change in your room and then maybe use a cover up and go out to the pool, put your stuff by a chair (that isn't being used) and then go in? Is there a shower area to rinse before going in or best to do that in the room?

I'm on the Wish if that makes a difference and also travelling solo.

I assume you can take your key to the world card on the slide/ride, if your phones in one of those pouches would that be allowed too?

So this will probably sound silly but I don't swim and haven't been on a cruise before. I also couldn't spot the answer to this.

When you want to use the pool or go on a slide, do you change in your room and then maybe use a cover up and go out to the pool, put your stuff by a chair (that isn't being used) and then go in? Is there a shower area to rinse before going in or best to do that in the room?

I'm on the Wish if that makes a difference and also travelling solo.

I assume you can take your key to the world card on the slide/ride, if your phones in one of those pouches would that be allowed too?
There are cubbies near the slides where you can store your things.

WARNING!!! This is a hot topic🤣💕

A big cruise complaint is chair hogs. People who put their stuff on a chair or lounger and disappear for hours.
But if you are by the pool and want to be in the water for a short while (20 minutes or so) you can leave your things in a chair to swim or get some food.

Most people change in their cabins and wear their suits to the pool. There are restrooms by the pool but no changing rooms.
There are outdoor showers available to rinse off.
Towels are available (no charge) by the pools. They are in large brown wooden cabinets but so are the trash cans so look for the ones marked Towels

Yes, the majority of guests change in their cabin and then head up to the pools/slides. It is fine to wear your cover up to the pool. If you want to use the pools the first day after boarding, then pack your swim stuff in a carry on and you can change in one of the restrooms or wear your suit under what you wear onboard. Rooms are not available until about 2 pm and luggage may or may not be there by that time.

MJ

Your luggage might not show up in your stateroom until 4 or 5pm on embarkation day, so plan accordingly.

A big cruise complaint is chair hogs. People who put their stuff on a chair or lounger and disappear for hours.
But if you are by the pool and want to be in the water for a short while (20 minutes or so) you can leave your things in a chair to swim or get some food.
I give up worrying about chair hogs on a cruise ship. There's nothing I can do or say that will change it. The cruise lines, including Disney, don't enforce it, and the chair hogs get hoggier (I know, not a real word LOL) self-centered and just don't care. It's just one of those things I cannot change.

As for changing. I just change in my room, wear my trunks (no Speedo here, LOL), wear a tee-shirt, and head up to wherever I'm going to relax.

We typically board in our swimsuits with cover ups and head directly to the pools. It not the cutest look for photos though.

We just stayed at Aulani and their pool attendants enforced chair hogging rules. I loved it and wish more places would do this. They folded towels on the chairs and came back in an hour, if the towels hadn’t moved they would collect the items. Only enforced at peak times.

Wish they would put cubbies around the pools like they have near the aqua duck for people who just want a place to stow their stuff! It was impossible to find a place to sit in the quiet cove on sea days, but at least half of the chairs were unoccupied. It’s understandable that people need to dump their stuff somewhere while they go in the pool, so make it easier for them to not hog chairs. We ended up putting our bag on the floor while we were in the pool.

I read an article about this problem - and this guys solution was very clever. He said if you are sure that the chair is being 'hogged' for an unreasonable amount of time, he suggests gently putting the items on the floor and moving the chair. I think it's brilliant! Not sure if the lounge chairs are easy to move but . . . .

Wish they would put cubbies around the pools like they have near the aqua duck for people who just want a place to stow their stuff! It was impossible to find a place to sit in the quiet cove on sea days, but at least half of the chairs were unoccupied. It’s understandable that people need to dump their stuff somewhere while they go in the pool, so make it easier for them to not hog chairs. We ended up putting our bag on the floor while we were in the pool.

I have thought the same thing for decades. Just use a lounger when you need to lie/ sit down. Considering this is a problem on every cruise ship, it seems so obvious.

I can't figure out where these people GO. I'll use a chair for a whole day but it's 15 minutes in the pool, 20 minutes in the chair, 5 minutes to grab a beer, 20 minutes in the chair, 5 minutes to go to the bathroom, 15 minutes in the chair, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter