• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pooh sized person new to running, any rules for Castaway non-challenge event?

DisFanJen

Disney Phreak
Hi,

As a pooh sized person I wasn't into running but a little while ago I finally decided to get a bit healthier. I don't expect to get fully 'into shape' but better than I am now would be nice. :)

Now I managed to work up to doing a Race for Life 5k (a big event in the UK covering multiple races in aid of Cancer Research), dropped a couple of stone and I feel better for it, and the next step is to work on getting faster until I can hit the minimum speed for an official runDisney event.

Now after the overly long backstory, onto my question. :)

I'm on a cruise in early Feb and I was considering doing the Castaway 5k, but as I said I'm not up to runDisney speeds yet and I don't expect to be by then.

So, are there any rules enforced during the Castaway 5k non-challenge events, the most important of which to me would be a minimum time per K?

I don't think there's a minimum time for the island run. It's pretty low-key.

And it's HOT. So hot. Make sure you drink a ton of water, wear light, moisture-wicking clothing and your sunscreen. Seriously...so hot and humid!

I don't think there's a minimum time for the island run. It's pretty low-key.

And it's HOT. So hot. Make sure you drink a ton of water, wear light, moisture-wicking clothing and your sunscreen. Seriously...so hot and humid!

We've cruised a few times before and pick the time between early Dec to To early Feb because it seems to be the most bearable though I freely admit there usually isn't much exertion going on.

But we are aware that even at this time of year it's still hot and humid so they'll definitely lots of sunscreen and water. Might even invest in a CamelBack. :)

They strongly suggest that if it going to take you longer then an hour not to do it and they prefer everyone be able to do it with in a 16 min miles (roughly 48 minutes) but there is no hard set rule or pulling you off the course or anything like that. At some point the entertainment CMs do have to go to their other events but usually one stays stays at the end until all runners are accounted for.

They strongly suggest that if it going to take you longer then an hour not to do it and they prefer everyone be able to do it with in a 16 min miles (roughly 48 minutes) but there is no hard set rule or pulling you off the course or anything like that. At some point the entertainment CMs do have to go to their other events but usually one stays stays at the end until all runners are accounted for.

Hmm, if that's true I might have to think about it. When I did the Race for Life 5k it was on sand as it was at a seaside resort and during the summer so quite warm and it took me 1 hour 9 mins but I have a feeling I'll be a bit slower in the heat and humidity at Castaway...

For me, I think the difference was that they started it late (9:30ish), so there was full sun. And a lot of the course was on the bike path, which is enclosed by trees...not a lot of airflow.
runDisney-Castaway-Cay-5K-Map.jpg

We had the opposite experience. We have been told take as long as you want, you can even explore out there if you want, and if you return after the CMs are gone you can get your medal at the store. Maybe it depends on the CMs running it?

We had the opposite experience. We have been told take as long as you want, you can even explore out there if you want, and if you return after the CMs are gone you can get your medal at the store. Maybe it depends on the CMs running it?

Maybe. I know it seemed to only come up because someone specifically asked when the 16 min/mile suggestion was made (this was the 2nd or 3rd cruise after runDisney took over and the medals changed in 2015) and they said while they won't stop you it was strongly suggested if you can't complete the course in an hour that you may want to sit out. I wonder if the heat had anything to do with it as well but it is always hot and humid on the island.

Hmm, if that's true I might have to think about it. When I did the Race for Life 5k it was on sand as it was at a seaside resort and during the summer so quite warm and it took me 1 hour 9 mins but I have a feeling I'll be a bit slower in the heat and humidity at Castaway...

Please don't be discouraged! Like I said there is no hard set rule. I think going into the 1 hour 30 minutes range would be fine. I believe they want to discourage those who may not have done a 5K at all so aren't even sure if they could finish. It may have just been that someone was asking on behalf of a much older relative so perhaps the CMs said that simply to discourage them being out in the heat for longer than that. Like I said no hard and fast rule just at some point CMs do have to leave the course to go to their next duty.

The race course area is all part of the public paths that you use when you rent bikes. If you are really going slow and they were worried about time they might just tell you to skip the loop out to the watch tower the second time. The whole race is pretty relaxed. It is definitely hot, but they have water out on the course. It's a good time I wouldn't let your pace keep you from trying it.

I would definitely encourage you to go for it. I know you said you aren't up to the 16/min mile mark yet, but keep working on it. You can always talk to the cast members at check-in and share your concerns.

And it's probably going to be hot and/or humid - you can prepare for it, though. We looked like lobsters heading back to the ship, but we weren't alone in that.

This 5k is very, very casual so I'd be surprised if there's a cutoff time. Like Someone mentioned, I would think everything all kind of depends on the cast members who are leading it. There are not set standards, except for the course.

I agree with what everyone says about the heat - don't underestimate it. I was very prepared to run this 5k, but the heat made it incredibly tough. Don't be afraid to take walk breaks and take in the awesome fact that you're running in the Bahamas :-) Drink water at every opportunity.

Hi Internet Stranger...I believe in You!

I think you should go for it, especially since you have time between now and then to train. You'll get to say you completed something that really only a very small percentage of runner/walkers have gotten the chance to do.

I have yet to do CC 5k but I've done 5k's and 10k at WDW. I'm not fast, I walk more than run and I still finish far from last. And last I knew the 5k's are untimed and worst that will happen is you will be directed to take a short cut to finish.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter