Pony Ride info please

We will be staying at the campground the first weekend in Oct. I have 2 great nieces age 3 and 6. How strict are they with the height limit for pony rides? I looks like under 48 inches and under 80 lbs. The 6 year old is 49 inches (we have been measuring each month for ride heights) but well under the weight limit maybe about 50 lbs. They are both to young for the horse rides.

They are very, very strict about height and weight limits and measure both prior to riding. When our youngest was JUST under 48 inches they almost didn’t allow the ride and were very clear that it wouldn’t be allowed in the future. We have visited the ponies many times since then and have sometimes been told that our child is too tall to ride when just walking by. (It’s been a few years since that first ride and our child is still under 60 lbs so they are definitely strict about either limit alone). Once the kids are 9 they can go on horse trail rides, but until then they can still visit the ponies at the ranch.

They are very, very strict about height and weight limits and measure both prior to riding. When our youngest was JUST under 48 inches they almost didn’t allow the ride and were very clear that it wouldn’t be allowed in the future. We have visited the ponies many times since then and have sometimes been told that our child is too tall to ride when just walking by. (It’s been a few years since that first ride and our child is still under 60 lbs so they are definitely strict about either limit alone). Once the kids are 9 they can go on horse trail rides, but until then they can still visit the ponies at the ranch.
Thanks so much.

They have horses there now for the bigger kids! Cast Member said it was for the kids too big for the ponies but not quite ready for the trail ride. He said it was added for kids up to age 12 (and offered my almost 5 ft, over 100 lb 12 yo a ride if she wanted one although she politely declined because she’s done the trail ride several times and had zero interest in being led around a circle). Cost is the same and difference is a cast member leads the horse vs a parent leading the pony. I thought this was wonderful because I remember the years when she was too big for the ponies but was still too young for the trail ride all too well.

In April of 2022, my DS (7) was 49 inches (and skinny, only about 50lbs). I let him know prior to the trip that he was too tall for the pony rides and too young to join his sisters on the trail ride. We visited the horses and ponies and he asked if I could measure him again while we were there. A cast member saw he was too tall but said he could ride the ponies anyway and I was shocked, DS was over the moon.

Glad to hear they now offer an option for those who are in that too tall for ponies/too young for trailrides so they aren't left out! We are heading down in 2 weeks and might try to fit this in.

They have horses there now for the bigger kids! Cast Member said it was for the kids too big for the ponies but not quite ready for the trail ride. He said it was added for kids up to age 12 (and offered my almost 5 ft, over 100 lb 12 yo a ride if she wanted one although she politely declined because she’s done the trail ride several times and had zero interest in being led around a circle). Cost is the same and difference is a cast member leads the horse vs a parent leading the pony. I thought this was wonderful because I remember the years when she was too big for the ponies but was still too young for the trail ride all too well.

Wow, this is so great! When did they introduce this? I also wonder if they only have this at specific times though, as we were there earlier this week and had the unsolicited comment made about our youngest being too tall and not being able to go on a ride. (This has actually happened on every visit we have made this year, including in January when our youngest was still too young for trail rides.)

Wow, this is so great! When did they introduce this? I also wonder if they only have this at specific times though, as we were there earlier this week and had the unsolicited comment made about our youngest being too tall and not being able to go on a ride. (This has actually happened on every visit we have made this year, including in January when our youngest was still too young for trail rides.)
I’m honestly not sure because the cast member said they started offering it when the new barn opened which I know is not true. I did see it offered as a test from time to time at a few different price points last year and now it’s been there every time we’ve visited since May which is why I finally asked for more information about it. This was on this past Wednesday when I asked. They still only advertise the pony rides though but offered the horse option to all the slightly too tall kids and slightly older siblings of kiddos doing the pony ride that walked up. I think it’s wonderful that they have that option for the 6-8 year old crowd because I’ve seen many tears of too tall kids over the years.

We will be staying at the campground the first weekend in Oct. I have 2 great nieces age 3 and 6. How strict are they with the height limit for pony rides? I looks like under 48 inches and under 80 lbs. The 6 year old is 49 inches (we have been measuring each month for ride heights) but well under the weight limit maybe about 50 lbs. They are both too young for the horse rides.
We just went on Sunday and they got out a bigger horse from the stable for a few older kids who were waiting. It seemed like you just needed to be willing to wait for a horse. The cast members running pony ride were incredibly sweet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter